Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is anyone else wrenching in preparation for RRC?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
Spent the weekend going over ver the car
Started packing last night
Time for a road trip
NARP74
Yes on the wrenching, working on a long list of things. No on the packing, you are way ahead of me on that.
Front yard mechanic
Is my tee shirt in that trunk?
brant
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Aug 22 2023, 01:57 PM) *

It’s not
I think Ron is bring them…. Which means s for the best. Because my wife wants the passenger seat.
StratPlayer
Yes working on odds and ends to make sure the car is ready for the RRC
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 22 2023, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Aug 22 2023, 01:57 PM) *

It’s not
I think Ron is bring them…. Which means s for the best. Because my wife wants the passenger seat.

sunglasses.gif
NARP74
Finding some really strange stuff.
A loose axle bolt on the wheel side. I think the only thing keeping it from falling out was the boot.
A loose engine mount bolt that I used my fingers to tighten before I could get a wrench on it.
A missing timing cover nut and washer that may have contributed to a small leak.
Trying to get a wrench on everything at this point, don't trust any of it.
technicalninja
My hats off to you guys! first.gif

Those who do their own wrenching and drive their 50-year-old sports car long distance without a security vehicle are the real car guys in my book!

Those who load their commercially restored trailer queens into their 100K car hauler and pull it to the meet with a 3-million-dollar Prevost DO NOT command the same respect from me.

They're wannabees...

The commercial shops desperately need these types, but I'd not be comfortable in their presence.

You guys' ROCK! beerchug.gif

worn
Several points to address. Oil change. I also have a somewhat unusual KEP clutch for the 3.2. It requires (according to documentation) a large clutch cable throw. I made a bell crank by making the cable pulley center as an eccentric. That needs reevaluation and rebuilding. Getting all of the grease and dirt gone is critical too. Then there is the center console. I have step down bucks for USB, but I need to mess with the panel. So it stays put during driving. Then there is the clock. It has gained a day and a half since the RRC2022. Probably will replace it with a plastic VDO clock. Making sure the wipers work too. PM thunderstorms seem possible.

I am running headers. Will bring a down vest, but how cold is it likely to get at Steamboat? Maybe some sort of long-johns? Or maybe sweats.

Then it is on to the PNW where I hope to own a garage. When King county says OK.
majkos1
Just drain oil to adjust valve to eliminate backfire issues ,
Dual carbs,40's,
fresh built (tight compression)
more difficult to turn motor to check the valves ,Ugh

"Real 914 mechanic don't do Yoga"

further hampered by fuel lines right above timing mark, previous mechanic smash.gif

Big push to get some mileage on this BB 914 before Red rock
work out bugs,
Having issues with oil temo gauge pegged. Tach not working,(MSD ignition)
(sourcing out a convertor for this )

Good news A/R works like a charm, tad lean now.
Goal today, put together interior enough to test drive.

Quick run down on BB,
Most of the gang here in Mile High city knows I had this BB 914 in and out of my garage for years.
I finally get running but only on three cylinders,
Two rebuild later, first failed, aftermarket Fuel injection ruin motor
Second rebuild, running on Progressive carb, just to break in motor, One cylinder major leak between head and cyn.

BB went to a VW expert (I got married, BIG Mistake!!)where he found leak.
Engine fixed and tons of unnecessary work by previous mech,
He started having health issue (Brain damage)
BB was ready for pavement when develop Huge oil leak.
BB got shelved.

I volunteered to take a look, (am Free from Nasty marriage)
Fixed leak, corrected Non 914 stuff.
Took on task of Dual carbs, (am Not a big fan of )
motor build for it and am willing to learn .

this where I am at.

This Girl gonna rip!

JamesM
I usually just wait until the night before to see if my car is even running.

Makes it more exciting!
NARP74
Weather looks like mid 70's during the day, and high 30's at night, brrr. It is the mountains and a ski hill, so be prepared. First time for me with the no heat option. We'll see how that works out.
majkos1
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Aug 28 2023, 08:22 AM) *

Weather looks like mid 70's during the day, and high 30's at night, brrr. It is the mountains and a ski hill, so be prepared. First time for me with the no heat option. We'll see how that works out.

no heat!?
Guarantee snow!! w00t.gif

Bring a sleeping bag,
You'll be just fine!
NARP74
QUOTE(majkos1 @ Aug 28 2023, 09:37 AM) *

no heat!?

Bring a sleeping bag,
You'll be just fine!

Gee thanks. Now I am worried!
majkos1
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Aug 28 2023, 09:53 AM) *

QUOTE(majkos1 @ Aug 28 2023, 09:37 AM) *

no heat!?

Bring a sleeping bag,
You'll be just fine!

Gee thanks. Now I am worried!

Don't be,

914 are Great in the snow.
Drove mine for years to all the ski areas wherever the race were held at.
Steamboat is one! aktion035.gif
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(JamesM @ Aug 28 2023, 06:21 AM) *

I usually just wait until the night before to see if my car is even running.

Makes it more exciting!

pray.gif
sb914
[quote name='worn' date='Aug 27 2023, 07:20 PM' post='3098433

Then it is on to the PNW where I hope to own a garage. When King county says OK.
[/quote]
If you’re going up 101 I have a guest room waiting for you @worn
worn
QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 28 2023, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Aug 27 2023, 07:20 PM) *
@worn[/b]

How I wish, if only to hear you play. On a bright note, I discovered that we have a redwood on our property at North Bend. They don’t reproduce there, but they will grow. There are some on the UW campus in Seattle. Will think of you when I next see it. However, the plan is to have a 914 closer to the west coast action.
worn
Today I discovered that the crankshaft pulley had been gnawing on an oil line. I have a pet Guinea pig, so am sympathetic. Not gonna work though in the long run.
ThinAir
Yes to wrenching, at least on Mike's car. Engine & Trans should be back in his car tonight. Still need to complete move of fuel pump to the front and put the interior back together. Goal is to have a driving car before this weekend.
brant
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 28 2023, 05:50 PM) *

Today I discovered that the crankshaft pulley had been gnawing on an oil line. I have a pet Guinea pig, so am sympathetic. Not gonna work though in the long run.

can you use an aftermarket holder or strap to bolt it out of the way?
worn
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 29 2023, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Aug 28 2023, 05:50 PM) *

can you use an aftermarket holder or strap to bolt it out of the way?

Well, I have to change the oil anyway, so I am getting a length of new hose today hopefully. BTW, as to wrenching, when I was putting the car together, I went for AN fittings with adaptors for the lines to the tank and cooler etc. The return is one inch line, AN16. Well, that requires wrenches to drain the oil.
Click to view attachment
My son and I were playing around on the garage apron with a DIY foundry (made from a wastepaper basket and a flower pot). He was exploring casting intakes. I wanted in. So, a quick cut from a plywood scrap on the bandsaw, press wood model into damp sand, pour aluminum on top, and voila - AN wrenches. See if you can spot the store-bought one! The feedstock was pop cans, car parts and other aluminum scrap. But. They work. Have to drill some holes for authenticity.
NARP74
Cool stuff Worn
NARP74
Fixed my fuel sender last night so I can see how much fuel I have. I hope anyway. Had some challenges with that one.
worn
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Aug 30 2023, 07:06 AM) *

Fixed my fuel sender last night so I can see how much fuel I have. I hope anyway. Had some challenges with that one.

Glad that you won’t be calculating gas use by miles driven by the odometer. No matter how accurate, when the red warning light comes on it is certainly time to get fuel.
worn
Got the engine tin sorted and installed. Should run cleaner and maybe cooler. Took close to three days to get the tin to fit. the shape of motor and engine bay are known quantities but the position of motor relative to the engine bay is harder to predict by measurements. Clutch adjustment tomorrow.
NARP74
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 30 2023, 07:26 PM) *

Got the engine tin sorted and installed. Should run cleaner and maybe cooler. Took close to three days to get the tin to fit. the shape of motor and engine bay are known quantities but the position of motor relative to the engine bay is harder to predict by measurements. Clutch adjustment tomorrow.

Let me know your technique for clutch adjustment. Mine is still hit or miss. Seems like it should be more measurable or repeatable. Maybe I am missing something. How did the factory do it?
rhodyguy
Amazing how quickly molten aluminum can go thru boot leather. I worked in a non-ferrous foundry.
worn
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 31 2023, 01:41 PM) *

Amazing how quickly molten aluminum can go thru boot leather. I worked in a non-ferrous foundry.

Yep. But what sent Doug to the ER was a BB sized piece he was tig welding. I think the plastic vapor explosion from the shoe didn’t help. We are at more than arms length so far.
worn
A week to go. Was going to fix a couple of door dings, but while bleeding brakes discovered a loose tie rod. Now alignment is on the list.
Click to view attachment
NARP74
That's always the way with old cars.

Swapping my engine lid, moving the screen over and the catch, and adjusting everything.
worn
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 4 2023, 03:08 PM) *

That's always the way with old cars.

Swapping my engine lid, moving the screen over and the catch, and adjusting everything.

Thank God I am retired. Old and in the way, but I may be able to clean everything up in time.
Front yard mechanic
Thought about the cold dip and tried thisClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.