Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Timing FUBAR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andre914
I just reinstalled my engine after screw attaching my loose timing gear to the camshaft. I adjusted the valve clearance on the bench and then installed the distributor drive gear. Now in the car I get good spark, fuel flow and absolutely no starting or firing at all.
My question.
Is it possible that I installed the distributor drive gear 180° out of location? That would give me a spark plug firing at the top of each exhaust stroke and hence no running.
To check this I guess I would have to pull the valve cover on #1 side and check to be sure the #1 valves are both loose as TDC when the rotor is pointing away from the #1 spark plug wire.
Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
TravisNeff
Yes you can get it in 180 off. Pop off the valve cover on Cyl #1, when you get the engine to TDC check the valves on #1 they should be both slack, if not turn the engine over once more and try again. Remember one engine revolution is not 360 degrees of rotation but 720!
Andre914
Thanks for the input.
Had to reinsert the distributor timing gear with the valves slack on cylinder #1.
Surprising how well it will run when you are firing the spark plug in a cylinder with a fuel charge.
driving-girl.gif
TravisNeff
Giddyup! glad you got it going. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.