Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Just adopted a new dog
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fatlando
We adopted Harley, a 2 year old lab mix as a companion for our 1 year old choclate lab Emily, and has been a dream. He's bonded with all of us and seems like he's been with us for years.

The only drawback is he digs under the fence and goes to other peoples yards.

any ideas???
tat2dphreak
is he fixed? dogs that aren't fixed will always find a way to go looking for poon. wink.gif
bondo
Heh, I used to have a lab mix.. they sure are runners. Mind didn't dig tho.. she'd jump right over a 6' fence. Ended up having to get an electric fence.
fatlando
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 17 2005, 07:35 AM)
is he fixed? dogs that aren't fixed will always find a way to go looking for poon. wink.gif

that's the strange thing...he's fixed...but he just loves doing the great escape?
and when he gets to the other yards, he just lies down and chills. little weirdo!
rhodyguy
he's prob does it when you leave him alone right? anxiety or boredom. pm sent.

k
Jaiden
Since this dog has already learned the behavior you probably will not be able to stop him from digging while you are not around.

What you can do is make it less appealing to dig.
1. Make sure his claws are cut as close to the quick as possible so digging will rough up the pads on his paws. he won't want to dig as much.
2. Put chicken wire at the base of the fence and dig down about a foot to bury it. he ill dig but hit the chicken wire and not be able to push through.
3. Hidden fence system so that he cannot make it to the fence in the first place.

Of all 3 the hidden fence works the best since he cannot get "under it"

Here's a pic of one of mine.
Australlian cattle dog "sulley"
tat2dphreak
ok, can't speak for all dogs smile.gif but it worked with one of our dogs when I was growing up... buy him a cheap swimming pool (he might chew it up, so one of the cheap plastic kid pools is fine... and fill it with water... Labs LOVE water and often will just LAY in it...

but I do agree... a hidden perimeter fence with a collar on him is the best bet...

we had a lot of Blue Lacys and they ALL LOVE to dig... we were on hard clay cliche ground though and they wouldn't make it far... but sometimes would just dig a hole to put his nose in... looking for cooler air confused24.gif

never could break them from it though
fatlando
thanx for all the info peeps. i'll send a picture of these 2 chuckleheads when i get home.

on a sad note, i had to bury my wife and sons pet rats yesterday as it seems they were scared to death.

one was cowering in the corner and the other was hiding under the running wheel. I've heard that rodents can die by being scared so it was weird seeing it. i think a raccoon or possom was was the cause.

both my wife and son were wailing as i gently picked them up, put them in a makeshift coffin and buried them.

I dread the day when my dogs and cat pass on...

fat lando
Lou W
My Lab liked to dig too, I figured it out that he was just looking for a nice cool spot. Electric fence will help keep him in. If you bury his stromberg.gif where he digs out of the yard, he'll never dig there again. smile.gif
meares
chicken wire at the base of the fence works well......how about yelling "STOP!!!!" or "NO!!!" that usually works as well....it should since he's a lab, they usually listen
DipShit
QUOTE (Lou W @ Aug 17 2005, 08:14 AM)
If you bury his stromberg.gif where he digs out of the yard, he'll never dig there again. smile.gif

agree.gif bury his stromberg.gif in hole! It worked for me.
rhodyguy
a loud startling sound like ball bearings being shaken in a metal can is very effective. "no" can be a confusing command for a dog. it's a very commonly used word. a stern "LEAVE IT!!", leading the dog away, and briefly entertaining him should work better. consistancy is crutial!! put him outside and watch him. he will look to start digging. catch him in the act, shake the can and use the "LEAVE IT!!" routine. "punnishing" is bad form. esp after the fact. you don't want the dog to fear you. you want to be the "alpha" of the pack. you'll wind up with a trench of dog crap around the perimeter of your yard. nothing nicer when you're planting perenials. wacko.gif

k
Always Looking
Sprinkle some cayanne pepper in the area around the fence. seriously.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.