Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black box bolted under engine grill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sarivers2001
Fellow 914 addicts,

I have just noticed something that I am hoping the group can provide some info and guidance on.

I noticed that nearly all of the 914s that I see on here, in pictures showing the engine grill popped up/open, there is a piece of equipment in the shape of a long, fairly thin black “box” (i.e., the same shape as the engine grill itself) is bolted beneath and this box pops up with the engine grill.

(See photo of someone else’s beautiful copper 914, as an example, as well as a photo of mine missing the equipment.)

As you can see, on my ‘74 914 2.0L (the Phoenix Red one), that piece of equipment is missing.

The PO explained to me that a fair amount of stock equipment had been removed a couple decades ago when the car was being tracked, in order to remove excess weight. For example, the heater and related equipment was removed.

I suspect that this missing piece of equipment is a fan or set of 2 fans that suck hot air up and out of the engine compartment (but I am merely guessing from the location, shape and size. I could be totally wrong.).

Can someone enlighten me on this piece of equipment, esp. whether it is important to proper engine operation? Also, any ideas where I can source a replacement for this missing piece of equipment?

Many thanks, all.
Steven

signal914.jpg

TonyA
Do you mean the rain tray ?
sarivers2001
QUOTE(TonyA @ Aug 23 2023, 09:59 PM) *

Not sure. Sorry for my ignorance on this.
Perhaps a “rain tray” is all this is…

I have highlighted it here.

sarivers2001
QUOTE(sarivers2001 @ Aug 23 2023, 10:03 PM) *

I ran some searches on “rain tray” and that appears to be what I am looking for. Seems like there is some debate as to whether this part is really needed or not, esp. if one does not plan to drive it in the rain (as I do not).

Thanks!
Shivers
Air comes in through that grill to the cooling fan that blows air over the engine.
Here is a pic of mine, you may notice extra holes in the lid. For extra cooling.

Click to view attachment
Craigers17
As mentioned it's definitely the rain tray. You should have a "drain tube" at each end of that tray which funnels the rain that collects in the tray through the engine bay and out under the car. (pictured below) Many people run GT lids which have double grills and no rain tray. If you don't drive your car in the rain, it is not needed.....although I'm sure there is some debate on airflow one way or the other.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

If you're interested in adding the tray back, 914Rubber has all the parts necessary including the drain tubes and clips. Since you're in Northern CA, there is also a member here who has a few in the Classifieds..... here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=rain+tray
ConeDodger
I know isn’t your doing but 914’s in general don’t have a lot of excess weight. Compare a 914 to most modern 2 seat cars and you’ll see dramatically heavier numbers. Plus, 914’s naturally make themselves lighter as they get older. smile.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 24 2023, 04:42 AM) *

I know isn’t your doing but 914’s in general don’t have a lot of excess weight. Compare a 914 to most modern 2 seat cars and you’ll see dramatically heavier numbers. Plus, 914’s naturally make themselves lighter as they get older. smile.gif

One of the main reasons we so like these little beasts, their lightweight. aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

I have deleted the "rain tray" and necessary hardware. My baby is always garaged and never goes out in the rain.
GregAmy
I removed mine and do occasionally get caught out in the rain, plus I race in the rain with my other one equipped with Dells, no problems.

I never quite understood the value; was it to keep water out of the electricals? I can understand that, given the early designs and connectors with L- and D-Jet. The computer case, for example, (I hesitate to call it an ECU) is not waterproofed.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 24 2023, 08:28 AM) *

I removed mine and do occasionally get caught out in the rain, plus I race in the rain with my other one equipped with Dells, no problems.

I never quite understood the value; was it to keep water out of the electricals?

I believe so.

Back in my youthful days deleted it believing it would result in better cooling (it didn’t).

After repeated instances of wet distributor, and misfiring in the rain - the rain tray went back on. Problem (that I created by removing) solved. This was on a car with Webber’s so a whole lot less to get wet than FI.

As stated the early FI connectors are not waterproof like modern connectors. I’m still amazed to this day that ECUs don’t get waterlogged and have problems more often given they aren’t sealed and the board isn’t potted.
sarivers2001
Many thanks to all of the responses to my original question. Greatly appreciated.

I’m leaning toward putting the tray back on, since my goal (at least at present) is to push the car more toward a stock look, and I’d like to avoid any trouble in case I get caught in any unexpected rain.

Thanks again!
Steven
VaccaRabite
After years of running with no rain tray, and at times a GT lid, I put the rain tray back on.

Big biggest thing I noticed was how much quieter it suddenly got in the cabin.

I also seem to get caught out in the rain with every event I take the car to. So the rain tray gets used.

Zach
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(sarivers2001 @ Aug 24 2023, 01:03 AM) *

@sarivers2001 - that copper car is mine smile.gif
yep thats a rain tray, got it from 914rubber, get the drain tubes as well.
i do have a GT lid which i have on for better air flow and cooling (not sure if it makes a big difference or not) but the rain tray does an excellent job of keeping most rain away from the motor, but i usually keep my umbrella cover around if its parked and there is a threat of rain.
Mikey914
There are 2 different rain tray. If you havr the early and need the hatdware we have it too.

We also have kits

https://914rubber.com/search/?q=Rain+tray
windforfun
QUOTE(sarivers2001 @ Aug 23 2023, 09:48 PM) *

Fellow 914 addicts,

I have just noticed something that I am hoping the group can provide some info and guidance on.

I noticed that nearly all of the 914s that I see on here, in pictures showing the engine grill popped up/open, there is a piece of equipment in the shape of a long, fairly thin black “box” (i.e., the same shape as the engine grill itself) is bolted beneath and this box pops up with the engine grill.

(See photo of someone else’s beautiful copper 914, as an example, as well as a photo of mine missing the equipment.)

As you can see, on my ‘74 914 2.0L (the Phoenix Red one), that piece of equipment is missing.

The PO explained to me that a fair amount of stock equipment had been removed a couple decades ago when the car was being tracked, in order to remove excess weight. For example, the heater and related equipment was removed.

I suspect that this missing piece of equipment is a fan or set of 2 fans that suck hot air up and out of the engine compartment (but I am merely guessing from the location, shape and size. I could be totally wrong.).

Can someone enlighten me on this piece of equipment, esp. whether it is important to proper engine operation? Also, any ideas where I can source a replacement for this missing piece of equipment?

Many thanks, all.
Steven

signal914.jpg

I love the dog. This is the best part of this post. I have four.

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Olympic 914
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Aug 24 2023, 01:35 PM) *

After years of running with no rain tray, and at times a GT lid, I put the rain tray back on.

Big biggest thing I noticed was how much quieter it suddenly got in the cabin.

I also seem to get caught out in the rain with every event I take the car to. So the rain tray gets used.

Zach

I run the GT lid in the hotter months, Then switch to the regular lid with rain tray later in the year. ( usually sometime after the drive to Okteenerfest)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
it also acts like an air guide to force incoming air towards the fan
sarivers2001
All great feedback.

Many thanks, all. Gonna put one back on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.