Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Flow Through Front Holes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I just bought myself a little handheld anemometer. I took out one of the plastic plugs behind the bumper and duct taped the meter into place in the front trunk. Went for a little drive. Here's what I found...

At 40 MPH, I was getting a wind speed of 17.5 mph in the hole. Converted to CFM, this is 25.718 CFM. Not bad for one little hole. The bumper was still in place and the LE airdam was still installed as well. Next I'll test a stock valence.

Just sharin. wink.gif Oh, BTW, the air pressure was 4 bft. I don't know what that part means, but there it is.
Joe Ricard
So where was the air escaping?
Funny you should mention that, I was just contemplating moving my 2 row cheapy oil cooler up there.
Wonder if you pulled the two plugs in the bottom of the trunk and put screen over it or louvers from the bottom side pointing back.
MoveQik
Are you trying to get enough airflow up there without cutting it up for an oil cooler or suh-n?
SirAndy
if you don't want to cut the tub and depending on how much extra cooling you need, you can just mount the cooler in front/under the bumper.

you'll get less air-flow as on a "through" setup, but for most cars, it should be plenty ...
wink.gif Andy
Trekkor
Is this on the green car?

I'd like to install my oil cooler before the Sept 23rd track day.

I'd like to remove ALL the front plugs and make a shroud to vent the air out the bottom.

Wanna test that?

KT
Brian Mifsud
McMark,

I do alot of airflow measurement for a living.

Pressure measurements with the anemometers I've worked with are calibrated in inches or feet of water.

1 atmosphere (14.7psi) will raise a column of water 32feet (in a evacuated tube).

Most fans and blowers flow air at pressures WAY under 1 psi (1psi = 26" inches of water), and usually develop pressures rarely over 1" of water. A high quality blower like you have in your furnace at home will push about 2000cfm at about 2" of water to give you an idea of flow.

On you CFM calculation, taking the velocity x the area of the hole is usually on optimistic calculation. The actual flow through that hole is most likely at least 30% lower than what you calculate.

Generally, measuring pressure rather than velocities will give you a much more accurate number to do calculations with across an opening. Velocity measurements are very directionally sensitive. If you don't happen to have the probe at the perfect angle, you may not be getting the "true" average velocity.

Static pressure is a better way to go before and after the opening.
Joe Ricard
Damn! now my head hurts.
McMark
Damn, I'm really starting to hate air flow. Nothing is as it seems. wacko.gif

Isn't the 4 bft a pressure reading?
McMark
QUOTE (trekkor @ Aug 17 2005, 08:53 AM)
Is this on the green car?

I'd like to install my oil cooler before the Sept 23rd track day.

I'd like to remove ALL the front plugs and make a shroud to vent the air out the bottom.

Wanna test that?

KT

Yeah, it was on the green car.

I'd like to do some testing of your shroud, just to have the numbers in the future for comparison.
Aaron Cox
im about to install a cooler and fab a shroud.....

trek - what are the dimensions of your cooler? maybe we can buy/make 2 shrouds
Trekkor
BIG... really BIG ohmy.gif

23.5x5.5

KT
SpecialK
QUOTE (McMark @ Aug 17 2005, 12:02 PM)
Damn, I'm really starting to hate air flow. Nothing is as it seems. wacko.gif

Isn't the 4 bft a pressure reading?

Nope, it's an airspeed measurement. Bft stands for "Beaufort", some old fart sailor from the 1800's.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (trekkor @ Aug 17 2005, 03:57 PM)
BIG... really BIG ohmy.gif

23.5x5.5

KT

im a good ~13" x 5.5
hmmmm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.