Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Serpentine Belt conversion Q
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Robarabian
Anyone have photos of their Clewitt Engineering Serpentine belt setup? I know at least one member with a boxter transmission has one.

Every time I install a new belt I seem to get it to fray a little when I turn the motor to get the pulley to seat and that worries me about longevity.

Clewitt doesn't show alot of photos of how it mounts on their site, so I am interested in where it mounts.

For those who have it, how does it work? well?

Thanks.
Detroit
I was just contemplating this myself. It looks like the tensioner bolts to the same boss on the case as the (Mad Dog) motor mount....
I decided to ditch the idea mostly to save money, but I'm still interested.
ClayPerrine
I have it and it has been bulletproof. No issues with the belt at all.

IPB Image

This is on a 964 motor. But I had one on the 2.4L engine as well.

It does require a slight modification to the case to make the tensioner run true.

The info about it is on Clewett's site.

It is good enough that I am going to be running the same setup with the flat fan.

Hope that helps.

Clay
technicalninja
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 25 2023, 09:59 AM) *

IPB Image

It does require a slight modification to the case to make the tensioner run true.

It is good enough that I am going to be running the same setup with the flat fan.

Hope that helps.

Clay

That looks AWESOME! more than 180 degrees on both pullies, tensioner angle looks perfect. That belt drive can supply 25-30 HP through it, and I bet that fan/alternator doesn't use 5 hp.
I hope I can come up with something like that for my compressor drive set up for T4s...
Robarabian
Clay,

Does it have a single mount point? Ie., one of the mount bolts? or two point of contact.

And when you say modifications to run true, their instructions talk about using shims, which seems easy and logical. AM I missing anything on that?

Thank you I think yours was the one I was referring to.

Robert

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 25 2023, 07:59 AM) *

IPB Image

Hope that helps.

Clay

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Aug 25 2023, 11:45 AM) *

Clay,

Does it have a single mount point? Ie., one of the mount bolts? or two point of contact.

And when you say modifications to run true, their instructions talk about using shims, which seems easy and logical. AM I missing anything on that?

Thank you I think yours was the one I was referring to.

Robert

On the 3.6L case, you have to modify the case to mount the tensioner.

Click to view attachment
(Photo from Clewett's install directions.

Other than that, it is a complete bolt on.

The one on the 2.4 was almost as easy, but you have to use a straight edge and the factory pulley shims to make sure the two pulleys are aligned correctly. Otherwise it tears up belts.

All of the installation directions for Clewett's products are located here: https://www.clewett.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=7

arbitrary
Are there issues with some engine mounts and not with others? Interested in doing this on the 3.0 SC engine in my 6 conversion but unsure if I’m going to run into major interference.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(arbitrary @ Aug 25 2023, 03:44 PM) *

Are there issues with some engine mounts and not with others? Interested in doing this on the 3.0 SC engine in my 6 conversion but unsure if I’m going to run into major interference.

I don't know. I only have the Rich Johnson mount in my car. And that's the only one I have used it on. Two motors, one car.

Robarabian
I bit the bullet and drove down and met Mr. Clewitt today. He is a very nice guy. I will do a little photo and install thread or at least a YouTube on how it goes together. It is going onto a 2.7 six motor.

There are different kits for different motors, so the one Clay has is different than mine slightly. So it will be good to get this up here so others can see.

I'll try to get it setup this weekend.
Spoke
Will that setup work on a 911? The tensioning of the 911 fan belt is stupid. This looks really cool.
Robarabian
It is specifically made for the 911. It mounts to the engine mount cross bar. Since the 914 doesn't use it, the engine mount Clay used works well. because it has certain provisions for the tensioner assembly.

I have yet a different engine mount, so my light fabrication of a mount for the tensioner began this evening. I hope to be able to finish my prototype and then bust out the welder and get it mounted.

From what I am looking at, it is simple, well made and cool. Clay's setup is different than mine, mine is more compact (69-76 911 version). Clewitt's website does not depict the product I got but he assembled the pack for me in his shop so I know it is right.

I'll start a new post when I get it all made, mounted and photographed.

QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 25 2023, 04:48 PM) *

Will that setup work on a 911? The tensioning of the 911 fan belt is stupid. This looks really cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.