Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dang, the engine blowed up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
p914
Now the question,, what to do what to do?
rebuild or put something else in?
$5000 for a rebuild or twice or more for something different. welder.gif

Decisions Decisions, maybe sell it?
SirAndy
exactly "what" blew up?

confused24.gif Andy
rhodyguy
craig sent me a craigslist ad for a 2.0 for sale in everett. $800, try a search at cl.

k
Joe Ricard
Yea, is it just a little blowed up"
or really blowed up with parts broken and sticking out.
rhodyguy
oh, sorry to hear of this development pat. sad.gif would you please post the info and the name of the company that polished your wheels in the "Resources, Parts, and Products" forum?

k
p914
Well the engine only spins backward and won't go more than a qtr rotation forward. My mechanic at Unlimited VDub checked it out for me. The exhaust valve blew. He says it's rebuildable, he'll only do stock rebuilds though. I've been tinkering with the idea putting a different engine in.

I'll post the polisher info Rhody, It's Eddie not Pat. wink.gif dry.gif biggrin.gif
p914
Rhody,
Checked out the guy with the engine in Everett. He has a few other things too and may be interested in converting my 914 to a subaru engine.

I posted the polishing info on the Resources Parts and Products page.
Andyrew
I say subi...

Get some reliability...

Get some hp..

lose some resect (lol, jk)
p914
I'd like a subaru engine in there and the guy quoted a pretty fair price to convert it . He seems to have pretty good auto skills as he converted a couple of Vanagons. Trouble is he's about 2 hours away. Hmmm.
Jake Raby
I have two known good engines herefor cheap...

One is a VW reman 1800- I'll take 500 for it..

The other is a 2.0 Bus spec engine- 450.00 for it.

Or I'll sell you an Engine kit to repair your old one....And make it better, cooler running and more efficient.

An engine dying is many times the best thing that can happen to your car- Its the perfect time to give it what it deserves!

Every time I blow something all to hell I smile before anything else- Hell we blow them up for fun of it watch this one from a few years ago- Nitrous assisted!
Sent another one to HELL! mad.gif

BTW- Thats me with the nitrous button administering pain remotely! It took two tries to kill that one, I had to swap to just one carb after the first nitrous shot melted one of them. clap.gif
Brando
You are a very, very bad man Jake.

What's the info on that 1.8?
bd1308
what were you trying to accomplish by putting a 5 minute shot of nitrous to a type 1....

sad waste of a engine...
Jake Raby
what were you trying to accomplish by putting a 5 minute shot of nitrous to a type 1....

Its for fun- called an engine blow contest... The money raised is given to charity.

sad waste of a engine

Nope- EVERYTHING in that engine was trashed and not worth a damn to be used in a customers engine.... It was built to be killed from scratch.

I did many other people a favor by destroying those parts before some mass producer got them and used them in an unsuspecting customers engine..

Bottom line is that I love to blow shit up and love it when people say"That egine runs better than the one in my car and you blew it up"........

Here I am building one from all use parts gathered at the show swapmeet while blindfolded- It ran wide open at 6K for 5 solid minutes before the cam broke in half...... I rebuilt it 3 more times before I finally destroyed the case this past May when I burned it with a huge torch in front of the crowd! (BTW- last time I rebuilt the entire engine from the crank up with only a PAIR OF PLIERS)
user posted image
bd1308
I blew up a computer before....

that was fun.

seems like we'd get along nicely, blowing stuff up.

how much NOS did you go through before the engine died...
Verruckt
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Aug 17 2005, 03:39 PM)

Every time I blow something all to hell I smile before anything else- Hell we blow them up for fun of it watch this one from a few years ago- Nitrous assisted!
Sent another one to HELL! mad.gif

Awesome video Jake! smilie_pokal.gif

What the hell caused the melted intake?
Jake Raby
The melted intake came from a burned intake valve that was lighting up the NOS in the intake..... It also totally melted the carb...

I think I started with about 1800 PSI NOS in the tank and when it was all said and done I had 1000 left fighting19.gif
Bruce Allert
where the hell were you with these cheap engines when Punkin needed one??? huh??? laugh.gif well, now it's gone.

I bet the one that blew would'a lasted me 2 years smash.gif

Love what you can do MAN... love what you can do beer.gif

......b
Jake Raby
Thanks!!!!

Anyone CAN do anything- It just takes effort!
rhodyguy
you must be refering to bruce steele from small car performance in tacoma eddie. i've seen his personal vanagon with the sub conv. clean conversion. thanks for posting the wheel polishing info. it should be very helpful for or and wa guys. prob the winter for the silver car.

k
p914
Actually this guy is named Kirk (you and names dry.gif biggrin.gif )
He's a real estate agent in Renton.

idea.gif I think I'm going to go with a Subaru transplant and sully
barf.gif up my German engineering happy11.gif aktion035.gif

I think we will use an EJ20 engine.
p914
We decided to go with the 2.5L engine with 165hp instead of the 2.0 or 2.2. It will run a little more $$ but might as well opt for more power since we are doing it. screwy.gif
scotty914
hehehehe, my plan is coming together. i will SUBvert the whole world

i even know of another member who wants to be SUBverted but i will let him stay in the shadows ph34r.gif
Brando
If I went to a japanese motor... turbo subi all the way! C'mon Scott, go to the darker dark side wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.