Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 1973 914 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
fiacra
There is a lot to read and to look at, but please read and look at it all, including all of the links, if you are interested in this car! I'm happy to speak to you after that. Asking $8,500 OBO EDIT - now asking $7K. The car is located in the San Francisco East Bay area. Specifically it is in the Richmond Hills near Wildcat Canyon Park.

I've had this car for about five years now. It was the victim of a theft attempt just over a year ago and hasn't been driven since. At the time it was at a local independent Porsche shop being checked over as it had suddenly started running really rough. They got as a far as a compression check and found cylinder #3 had zero compression. The motor was going to be pulled to be rebuilt (open question as to whether it needed a top end rebuild only) but it had to be left outside overnight and that night two bumbling idiots tried to steal it and ended up losing control while pushing it back and folding the driver's door back against a parked car. A link to the video of the theft attempt is below. (If for nothing else, watch this for your amusement. You'll see what I mean.) A long fight with the insurance company later, and the car is still sitting. I have arranged with a body shop as well as the shop that rebuilt the engine to a 2056 years ago for the the body work to be done at the same time as the engine is rebuilt, but I've been waiting for them to take the car for almost 7 months now. I think it's time to let someone with the skills to fix it take over and for me to buy one of the two other 914's that I've been looking at. I'd like to start driving a 914 again, and not simply looking at one! The body shop estimate was $4K, and the cost for the engine rebuild was unknown as depended on whether it was upper end work only.

I bought this car because it was a really well sorted and excellent running 914. I wanted a driver not a show car, something that was reliable and I wouldn't be afraid to drive. It was the best one that I found after looking for around six months. The car previously belonged to another 914World member who used it for AX, and below there is a link to his for sale posting on 914World back in 2009. His posting gives a lot of background information, including what paint was used (something you will need to know unless you intend to fully repaint the car). It's a MAACO quality paint job, what everyone would describe as a 20' paint job. It went through at least two other owners before I bought it. Somebody converted it to carbs at some point after 2009. I have no records for that. The person I bought it from invested a significant amount of time and money in making it as reliable as possible. Under his ownership all work was done at Eason Auto in Oakland, CA. The transmission and carbs were rebuilt right before I bought it. All maintenance has been done regularly under my ownership.

Body damage to the car from the theft attempt is confined to the door, door frame, and some slight damage to the front fender. The fender will not need to be replaced. The steering column was damaged, and I have already replaced it. I have sourced a new door that the body shop approved and it will be included in the sale. NOT included in the sale is the Momo steering wheel currently on the car. I will include the original stock steering wheel. Work done under my ownership has primarily been routine maintenance. I have replaced the rear targa latches with refurbished latches and made some other minor repairs, but that is basically all it has needed. Fiberglass bumpers were put on the car by a previous owner who used the car for AX. I'm not sure who added the Porsche reflector or the hood badge, but I believe it was the person I bought it from. I have records from his ownership, including a $6K transmission rebuild. He sold me the car after he found and bought a low mileage 1974 911. It does have a SALVAGE TITLE. Nobody knows why, but it was previous to the ownership of the 914World member who sold it in 2009. I had it fully checked over and there was evidence of a repair to one of the front fenders, but that was all they found. Measurements were checked at Eason Auto to make sure the car is straight. We all know that before these cars rose up in esteem and value that even minor damage could result in a salvage title. Nonetheless it is something to consider as there is no way to remove that from the title.

It is a California car and has minimal rust. There is an area of rust in the trunk that was cleaned and stabilized with POR15. That is the only rust that anyone has been able to find. The hell hole is fine, as is the battery tray. The longs and floor pans are reported to be fine as well. The floor pans are covered with Rattletrap sound deadener and I'd have to pull it up to see the top of the floor pans. Underneath looks fine. I have always kept it in my garage, but if it has been outside it is always under a four season cover. I have driven it in the rain only once, and that was not on purpose. I have a link below to 166 pictures, but lacking at the moment are pictures of the longs. There are rivets on the rocker covers and I'll have to drill them out to get the rocker covers off. I know these are important areas and I will work on getting them off and getting pictures. It has been fully inspected by Bill Eason at Eason Auto and I can arrange for him to discuss the car with a serious buyer (someone who has already talked to me and looked at the car if they are local). He also found no rust anywhere other than the trunk. He is the one that stabilized and treated that area. Please look at the pictures, there are lots of them. Ask for more if you need them. I've done my best to document everything. The odometer reads below 96K miles. As always with a 50 year old car with a five digit odometer, true mileage is unknown.

I'm willing to listen to offers, but there is not much wiggle room. If the shop's schedule opens up before I find a buyer I will have it repaired. It is set up for flat towing, and I can deliver locally as I have a pick up that can tow it. It is a worthy project if you have the skills to repair it.

Link to previous owner's for sale posting
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=99559

Link to 166 photos
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/95dcop6won5zz45/...cdXKq79TTa?dl=0

Link to video of theft attempt
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9e6n0cuofre340z/L..._cache.MP4?dl=0

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
I remember that post. I would really like to buy that car but I have too many ahead of it. GLWTS.
fiacra
icon_bump.gif

Willing to listen to offers. A great project for someone with the appropriate resources.
fiacra
Dropped my asking price to $7K. Just found another car so this one needs to find a new home.
windforfun
Talk to Manny at Da-Les Autobody in Sunnyvale if you pursue the repair. I had several excellent experiences with them (ironically thanks to my wife).

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
fiacra
QUOTE(windforfun @ Sep 4 2023, 04:44 PM) *

Talk to Manny at Da-Les Autobody in Sunnyvale if you pursue the repair. I had several excellent experiences with them (ironically thanks to my wife).

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

What marriage hasn't had to survive a few dings, dents, and scrapes?
Cairo94507
This appears to be a very good deal for someone. beerchug.gif
fiacra
icon_bump.gif

Would I be crazy to accept any lower than $7K? Sure, but my meds are not at therapeutic levels so it just might happen.
cassmcentee
I am very interested...
Need a couple of days to make sure I can pull the trigger.
Am currently building a 2056 motor that would be perfect for it!
Will contact you as soon as I make a decision.
fiacra
QUOTE(cassmcentee @ Sep 7 2023, 03:23 PM) *

I am very interested...
Need a couple of days to make sure I can pull the trigger.
Am currently building a 2056 motor that would be perfect for it!
Will contact you as soon as I make a decision.

Sounds good. Best to do it before I get back on my meds biggrin.gif.
fiacra
SOLD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.