Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need some assistance..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CCE
Hello all!
I just noticed a new light turned on in my 74 2.0 dashboard, since I don't think a user manual has been in the car since 1980, I need to ask you guys what the lamp is all about.

I reviewed oil levels, temperatures, and nothing, it was low on oil in the transaxle, but I toped with some 700ml of oil, but the light is still on, motor oil was also a bit low so I added 0.5L, but the light is still very on, brakes are also fine.

I was thinking maybe electric issue, but I rather ask here.

All else should be fine.
Please your advise. I am still learning my car.

The light is not in full brightness, (the picture is a bit brighter than the actual lamp is)

Click to view attachment
Freezin 914
If you are referring to the red “g” light. Generator=battery, electric issues
Rusty
If you have a voltmeter / multimeter, please check your battery voltage with the car running. Post your results here. smile.gif
CCE
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Aug 27 2023, 01:53 PM) *

And that is why I was afraid to ask… thanks so much!!!

It will have to get some love then.
windforfun
QUOTE(Rusty @ Aug 27 2023, 01:13 PM) *

If you have a voltmeter / multimeter, please check your battery voltage with the car running. Post your results here. smile.gif

13.4 V is what you want to see.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
CCE
QUOTE(windforfun @ Aug 27 2023, 03:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Rusty @ Aug 27 2023, 01:13 PM) *

13.4 V is what you want to see.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

Thank you so much!

I will get a voltmeter…
SirAndy
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Aug 27 2023, 12:53 PM) *

Actually, (G)enerator = Alternator

Something in your charging circuit is not working properly.
idea.gif
Freezin 914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 27 2023, 07:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Aug 27 2023, 12:53 PM) *

Actually, (G)enerator = Alternator

Something in your charging circuit is not working properly.
idea.gif

Yes, you are correct.
rhodyguy
Is the belt still on? How is the tension?
bkrantz
^^^ Yup, start by checking the fan/alternator belt.
CCE
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 27 2023, 10:01 PM) *

^^^ Yup, start by checking the fan/alternator belt.

I got back from my Sunday tour, and store the car, I will look for the belt tension tomorrow and get a tester I think I will get one tomorrow. sad.gif

Thanks to all..
CCE
I overcome my fears and got back to the car today. sad.gif

Started to see with fear, and got my hand into the belt.

It is looooooose!, so I got a rush of confidence, hehehehe, it’s just all loose, so just needs a little more TLC, jack and stand, and some time, I promise I will try to fix it on the weekend.

It had me sweating thinking on buying a new generator, connecting cables etc, etc…

Last year my generator failed and it was fixed by an electric with a very questionable background for $200us welder.gif
I was thinking the lamp was something to do with that fix, it apparently was, but not as bad as I was thinking. chair.gif
windforfun
A loose fan belt it like a loose pants belt. Things eventually go bad if not fall off completely. Good luck with the repair. It should be straightforward. You might want to replace the belt with a new one. At my age, I'm considering suspenders.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
Rusty
QUOTE(CCE @ Aug 30 2023, 06:01 PM) *

It is looooooose!, so I got a rush of confidence, hehehehe, it’s just all loose, so just needs a little more TLC, jack and stand, and some time, I promise I will try to fix it on the weekend.

Good for you. Snugging up the belt is pretty easy. But since it's so loose... if you don't know when the last time it was replaced... now is an excellent time to take care of that.

Belts are cheap. Keep the old one as a spare. beerchug.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(Rusty @ Aug 30 2023, 06:05 PM) *

Good for you. Snugging up the belt is pretty easy. But since it's so loose... if you don't know when the last time it was replaced... now is an excellent time to take care of that.

Toss it.
CCE
QUOTE(windforfun @ Aug 30 2023, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Rusty @ Aug 30 2023, 06:05 PM) *

Toss it.

beerchug.gif cheer.gif
The belt was new on my motor rebuild a year (about 1500miles) ago, the generator issue was about 6 months ago… and I am also considering the suspenders! biggrin.gif

OH! And the oil temp cable in the picture was not correctly installed back then, it eventually was fixed it. driving.gif
Click to view attachment
windforfun
That engine looks really sweet!!!
CCE
QUOTE(windforfun @ Aug 30 2023, 08:16 PM) *

That engine looks really sweet!!!

Ooooo yesss

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
The wire for the oil temp sender mounts behind the fan shroud. The metal tab, with a hole in it on the wire, goes on a stud.
CCE
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 1 2023, 04:59 PM) *

The wire for the oil temp sender mounts behind the fan shroud. The metal tab, with a hole in it on the wire, goes on a stud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s62O94WDac4

After I saw that image I had a travel planned so I left the shop with that in mind. So the mechanic send me the video while I was away.. piratenanner.gif
CCE
I finally decided to tighten the belt today, after a hard complicated (for me) tin removal, tighten the belt slightly, and it worked fine, no slipping band. But the light was still on, so I verified the regulator… Which sits on top, I installed a dust cap on the relay box some weeks ago, and maybe it has some small short in the base, the lamp shut down after reviewed the regulator.

I think I need to think on how to refurbish the relay box, the underside is cracked and the black material disintegrating

I will reassembly all tomorrow, and try to look for a best solution for the relay base
It will stay without the cap meanwhile. hissyfit.gif

The underside of the board has seen better days.

But the light is gone now.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Spoke
The power connector from the cabin does not have the connector that separates, holds, and protects the contacts. Be very careful around this connector as some of those wires come directly from the battery w/o a fuse.

That connector should have a fixture like the one at the bottom of the picture going to the engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.