Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler Heat Shield Coating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
DennisV
What was the original coating for the muffler heat shield (aka heat protection plate)? Whatever ours was, it is grease, rust, or overspray now.
davep
I do not believe there was anything but paint. Surely something like Cerakote would help.
DennisV
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 27 2023, 06:48 PM) *

I do not believe there was anything but paint. Surely something like Cerakote would help.

Hi Dave. Would it have been chassis black or body color? Ours is 1970 914-6 with the bolt on, if that matters.
wonkipop
QUOTE(DennisV @ Aug 27 2023, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Aug 27 2023, 06:48 PM) *

Hi Dave. Would it have been chassis black or body color? Ours is 1970 914-6 with the bolt on, if that matters.

can't speak for a 1970 6.
but its body color on a 74 1.8 in original condition.
can't see why it would have been any different earlier. but......
mepstein
I just cut up an early ‘70 car (terminal rust). The muffler heat shield was the same as the rest of the underside of the car.
aturboman
The early style heat shields are cylindrical in shape and are held in with screws as you mentioned. On multiple 914-6s I've owned they all had a light overspray of body schutz and body color.

I'm restoring one to look original but more robust. Hi-temp epoxy primered first then a light coat of Wurth texture. It will be lightly painted body color before being attached to the car.

The screws were covered inside the trunk with seam sealer so it must be in place before final paint.

TMI but I sense you are restoring your 6 correctly which is great.

Click to view attachment
DennisV
QUOTE(aturboman @ Aug 28 2023, 08:07 AM) *

On multiple 914-6s I've owned they all had a light overspray of body schutz and body color.

TMI but I sense you are restoring your 6 correctly which is great.

Is there a rattle can equivalent of Schutz? I have only read it about it being done with a special spray gun and lots of trial and error to get the texture to match.

Just the right amount of information for me! I am not doing a complete restoration, but anything I touch I am trying to put back close to original.
aturboman
3M Rocker Panel Texture Spray. Only use 3M brand and use the tan or white color and you'll be happy.
Cairo94507
On my '71 6, the heat shield was body color and was still the original color when I bought it. This is the only picture I could locate, but it is clear the heat shield is Gold. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.