Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High Flow Oil Pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMartin914
Is it necessary to pair an external (front) cooler with a HF oil pump or would a stock setup do the job?

Can the oil pump be removed without dropping the motor?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Aug 17 2005, 10:24 AM)
Is it necessary to pair an external (front) cooler with a HF oil pump or would a stock setup do the job?

Can the oil pump be removed without dropping the motor?

not sure if a stocker could do it... ask jake/krusty/FAT

i bought a 38mm geared pump.... more than enuff to do the job.

How to pull an oil pump. not that hard.
lower engine ~2", reomve engine bar, and the mounts that hold the block to the rubbers...
support motor ona jack or stand... loosen up the few casebolts surrounding the oil pump.
remove the 4 nuts that secure the oil pump.....

remove pump... it is a tight fit....

of course- drain all the oil etc.....

now - on reassembly, you might want to true the boss for the pump. cool PP article on that. use some SUPER grit like 1000 and a flat edge to true the surface....

AA
Jake Raby
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/h...ome.php?cat=255

Thats where you can find the parts you need. I avoid the stock pump like the plague, even for a stock engine.

The "trick" is my Full Flow system with the modified 30mm TI oil pump. I run external coolers all the time with it. Its not showing up on the store right now for some reason- but it sells for 130.00

Its the same pump that feeds my 3 liter.

bought a 38mm geared pump.... more than enuff to do the job.

Not good....
Huge oil pumps do nothing but rob HP and create high oil temps (high pressure will bypass a portion of oil away from the cooler to keep from exploding it- this oil is NOT cooled, just returned to the sump)- more than 55 PSI simply is not needed, all the way to 9,000 RPM as centrifugal force really does its job of force feeding the rod journals at higher RPM..

Just enough is not too little and not too much huh.gif
BMartin914
When does a pump need to be clearanced for the cam bolts? What size pumps?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Aug 17 2005, 12:29 PM)

bought a 38mm geared pump.... more than enuff to do the job.

Not good....
Huge oil pumps do nothing but rob HP and create high oil temps (high pressure will bypass a portion of oil away from the cooler to keep from exploding it- this oil is NOT cooled, just returned to the sump)- more than 55 PSI simply is not needed, all the way to 9,000 RPM as centrifugal force really does its job of force feeding the rod journals at higher RPM..

Just enough is not too little and not too much huh.gif

good point. wish id have talked to you a year ago...

ill be running 20 feet of -10 braided line....to a front setrab cooler.
pressure with hot oil at idle is around 50 as is.....
Brando
Aaron, you forgot to mention longer studs from the case for the oil pump.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.