Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW Cigarette lighter cap the same size?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
Does anyone here know if the VW cigarette lighter cap linked below fits the 914 switch handle? I.e., is it the same one as was used in the 914? I bought one direct from Porsche and it's very nice but it is not correct for the 914 (has an image of a smoking cigarette on it and the original had the zippo lighter on it).

https://www.mtmfg.com/part/view/insert-butt...art=111-941-544
914Sixer
Yes they are the same. All emblems were sourced from VW
doug_b_928
Thanks, Mark. I wondered if maybe there was some difference in size because they don’t list the 914 as an applicable vehicle. Great to know that it will be a correct fit!
windforfun
If you're going to light cigars with the thing, you might want the long burning version.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
wonkipop
the coffin nail with the smoke coming off it came in with the golfs.
914 had the earlier VW version that went in bugs and 60s VWs.
the stylish ronson symbol. probably a krautrock joke on sherman tanks?

i've seen the old style version, same as your linked to, once or twice for sale on VW sites for proper restorations.
the both fit in the lighter knob as the knob itself didn't change as far as i know.
should work.
doug_b_928
Ordered one so we'll see if, indeed, it fits and looks correct.
windforfun
I have a "93 Toyota one that fits. It's a "standard" part along with power plugs for God knows what.

smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif
doug_b_928
Just received the cigarette lighter switch cap. It does fit and it's similar to the original but not identical. The quality of the paint application is undoubtedly not up to snuff with what the original would have been and the repro is far more engraved than the original. Having said that, the look is right and much more correct than what Porsche sold me (though I like the look of that one the most).

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
way to go. beerchug.gif
its the intent that counts - the car has to be in the zeitgeist.

alternatively you could install some cup holders. smile.gif beer.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.