Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thermostat cable routing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
If someone can confirm if the cable routing is correct please?
I had it off to replace and now not sure I have it routed correctly.
Should it go where the yellow arrow instead, but it was hard snaking it up that way, I think it takes bend or so, never was able to go the yellow arrow route.
It was worst earlier I had it wrapped around the alternator rubber boot.
It does operate when I heat the thermostat with heat gun and closes ok.
So maybe I got lucky I hope confused24.gif

Thanks,

Click to view attachment
theer
That does not look right. I recall the wire goes straight up from the pulley through the tiny hole in the upper cooling tin to the flap attachment with no bends or interference.

Maybe you have the wire routed correctly and it’s just that the piece of tin is bent out away from the cylinder too far?
porschetub
QUOTE(theer @ Aug 29 2023, 03:05 PM) *

That does not look right. I recall the wire goes straight up from the pulley through the tiny hole in the upper cooling tin to the flap attachment with no bends or interference.

Maybe you have the wire routed correctly and it’s just that the piece of tin is bent out away from the cylinder too far?

Over the bottom of the pulley level with the bellows and then straight up to the flaps via the cam on the rod and then into the clamp.
Don't tighten the cable too much,some slack stops the bellows from stretching and cracking when it is closed,small amount works .
Cheers.
913B
Good tip adding some slack. I had that cable pulled tight before tightening the screw.
I will double check the tin as well. Maybe i got it installed incorrectly.
Porschef
The cable is supposed to come up through this small hole by the dipstick

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Easiest to run a fish wire down the hole, connect to the control wire and pull up.
porschetub
QUOTE(913B @ Aug 29 2023, 06:01 PM) *

Good tip adding some slack. I had that cable pulled tight before tightening the screw.
I will double check the tin as well. Maybe i got it installed incorrectly.

I found this tip years ago ,it really only applies to the T4 as the T1 has a metal rod and the bellows fitment is set by that rod.
I leave the fixing clamp a bit loose and add the slack before nipping it up tight,I finally check operation with my heatgun to fine tune .
One thing that is often overlooked is the smooth operation of the roller as they seem wear a lot ,I have a few spares so always fit the best one I have.
Cheers.
davep
And never run the engine without the shaft bolt for the roller in place. That goes into a through hole in the case that will spew oil if missing.
930cabman
Don't beat on me too much, I have dispensed with the T'stat and she warms up just fine. This morning it was 60 degrees, I had defrost and heat within a mile. In a short time I am seeing 190 degrees oil temp.
Porschef
QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 30 2023, 02:59 PM) *

Don't beat on me too much, I have dispensed with the T'stat and she warms up just fine. This morning it was 60 degrees, I had defrost and heat within a mile. In a short time I am seeing 190 degrees oil temp.

No beating implied or intended here. smile.gif Getting the engine up to temp quickly only does it good. If the thermostat is operating properly, i.e., it expands when warm, you’re way ahead of the game. Simply bring the cable up through the hole and insert it into the clamp, then push the flaps shut and tighten the clamp, when the engine is cold.

If your thermostat isn’t working, Awesome Powdercoat sells them, and they’re very high quality.

With the heat exchangers, you’ll get hot air in a very short time.

HTH beerchug.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(913B @ Aug 28 2023, 05:50 PM) *

Should it go where the yellow arrow instead, but it was hard snaking it up that way, I think it takes bend or so, never was able to go the yellow arrow route.

Thanks,

Click to view attachment

Is it me or is this photo a mirror image?
bkrantz
Maybe this photo will help.
913B
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 30 2023, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(913B @ Aug 28 2023, 05:50 PM) *

Thanks,

Click to view attachment

Is it me or is this photo a mirror image?

Man you are good, yes, the engine is on the floor jack, so I had to take a picture of the reflection of the mirror I held underneath it.
913B
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 30 2023, 05:37 PM) *

Cool, Thanks bkrantz,

Slowly, getting ready to install the engine back in, just a 10 months later w00t.gif blink.gif

beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
913B

Is that motor 2.0 ?
Why is the tin on yours more closer to the wheel and mines 1.7 is different ?

blink.gif
Porschef
QUOTE(913B @ Aug 31 2023, 01:07 AM) *

Cool, Thanks bkrantz,

Slowly, getting ready to install the engine back in, just a 10 months later w00t.gif blink.gif

beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment

Someone’s getting an aftermarket EFI system smile.gif beerchug.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(913B @ Aug 30 2023, 11:10 PM) *

Is that motor 2.0 ?
Why is the tin on yours more closer to the wheel and mines 1.7 is different ?

blink.gif

Yes, a 1973 2.0. Not sure about your tin, but it looks a bit bent.
searunner
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 30 2023, 11:49 AM) *

And never run the engine without the shaft bolt for the roller in place. That goes into a through hole in the case that will spew oil if missing.

One image is more helpfulClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.