Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ethanol free fuel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
...Southern States store offers 0 Ethanol fuel, so yesterday I put a half tank in my 73 teener with the 89 octane I usually use. Was mainly interested in fuel for chainsaws and lawn mower, but winter storage of my teener would be a good application. I'm curious about what other users have found having run this fuel in their teeners, didn't seem to change my 1.7L performance into a 2L, and at least it didn't blow up on the way home! driving.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 31 2023, 09:23 AM) *

...Southern States store offers 0 Ethanol fuel, so yesterday I put a half tank in my 73 teener with the 89 octane I usually use. Was mainly interested in fuel for chainsaws and lawn mower, but winter storage of my teener would be a good application. I'm curious about what other users have found having run this fuel in their teeners, didn't seem to change my 1.7L performance into a 2L, and at least it didn't blow up on the way home! driving.gif

We recently had a station near us built that has no ethanol fuel. We put it in the factory six, and it is 90 octane. That is a lower octane than the 93 with ethanol. So it started pinging. I had to buy octane booster and put it in the car. Now it runs fine with the non ethanol gas.

sixnotfour
lawn mowers, weed eaters , chain saws, tractors....low usage = benefits..
vitamin914
Ethanol is bad for rubber and plastic that was not designed for it. Can eat it away or make it brittle.

1970s gasoline never had any ethanol, so none of the components were designed for it (fuel lines, injectors gas sender floats etc.).

The other problem is ethanol separates from the gas over time - the don't like to stay mixed - like over the winter storage. The other issue is ethanol absorbs moisture causing corrosion in the fuel tank and fuel system - big problem for marine engines.

There are additives like Stabil 360 marine and other products. Not sure if they really work as advertise or if they are snake oil. I would love to see unbiased test results.

Canada has mandated all fuel here must have ethanol in it. There may be an exemption for marine, there definitely is one for AvGas here.

If the octane is high enough and there is no ethanol, use it, and make me jealous.
JamesM
Non ethanol 88 is pretty widely available around here. One station has 91 ethanol free but I have to drive a bit.

I try to always go ethanol free whenever possible, especially in the 914s. In addition to what everyone says about the terrible corrosive properties of ethanol and slightly reduced power and gas mileage one thing i have found is that if you are still running your fuel pump in the engine bay the ethanol increases your chances of vapor lock.

Around here it gets very hot, and we have some pretty high altitude passes that I like to drive. One of my 4 914s has the fuel pump in the engine bay still. If I take this car over the passes in the summer with ethanol in the tank the combination of heat + altitude boils it in the lines every single time, if im running ethanol free i have no issues. This is not to say that ethanol free gas is the cure for vapor lock, it isnt, but ethanol gas does make the problem worse.
barefoot
Spinx gas stations sell both ethanol free & E85 in the Charleston SC area they must be around other southern locations as well.
windforfun
Nitromethane is the only way to go. I just hate the way it smells.

icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif
mlindner
Up here is Wisconsin we have Kwik Trip and Mobil stations with 91 octane with no ethanol. Love it.
73-914
We have Stewart's in eastern Upstate NY ,91 no alcohol
StratPlayer
https://www.pure-gas.org/
Root_Werks
Pretty lucky here in WA and more specifically close to the coast (lots of boats). There are a number of stations that offer "E-Free". I can get 89, 87 and sometimes 85 depending on the station. Run that always in my 914, Bug, mower etc.

My 94' Ranger however gets whatever will burn.
Jett
Gas is amazing… and it won’t rust your tank.
wonkipop
run real gazohleene as long as you can and as long as you can find it.
its not going to be here forever.

after that, if you are still alive and driving a 914 (or anything else) its over to the sugar cane sh#t/ cooked corn crap or hooking up your mobile cook top in the garage to a power point and getting down on your knees to pray that your house does not burn down around you while you are asleep.

beerchug.gif

the 21st century. mad max here it comes? smile.gif sad.gif beer.gif beer3.gif
Jett
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Sep 2 2023, 12:19 AM) *

run real gazohleene as long as you can and as long as you can find it.
its not going to be here forever.

after that, if you are still alive and driving a 914 (or anything else) its over to the sugar cane sh#t/ cooked corn crap or hooking up your mobile cook top in the garage to a power point and getting down on your knees to pray that your house does not burn down around you while you are asleep.

beerchug.gif

the 21st century. mad max here it comes? smile.gif sad.gif beer.gif beer3.gif

So we should buy a good used gas tanker and an arc welder to install an exoskeleton and cow catcher? smile.gif. My wife will be surprised when it arrives smile.gif
jfort
Ironically, it’s the farmers’ coop that has ethanol free, which I run. It is 90 octane. I use an octane enhancer. Seems to run fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.