Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Deano
I've got a slow leak were the speedo drive connects to the tranny. It really just seeps, but after a while it does drip. It's a side shifter. Any suggestions? I've always left tranny work to others, so I've never really worked on it.
Help please !?!?
MattR
Theres a bolt that holds the speedo drive in. Back that out, pull out the drive, replace the O Ring. If that doesnt help, lightly coat the O Ring in Permatex Form a gasket (3H).
Deano
Cool thanks, I'll give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes.
jr91472
Drain the tranny first........ biggrin.gif
john rogers
I would use some hi temp synthetic grease instead of any type of sealer since the tranny gets really hot and can cook sealers.
Allan
This is one of the easiest leaks to fix if it is the o-ring. Like Matt said, just disconnect the cable from the drive, pull the retaining bolt and twist it out. Replace the o-ring and re-install. You don't even have to drain the tranny if you get the ass end high enough. Shouldn't take more that 20 minutes...
Deano
You guys rock. Thanks for all of the input.
Deano
I Just came in from the garage, it worked like a charm. You were right, 20 minutes and I was back on the road. After a spirited drive it ws dry as a bone. Thanks again to all of you, once again you have come through for me! beerchug.gif

Red-Beard
Well, too late. But for the rest, the retaining bolt is torqued to 3 ft lbs.
joeav8tor
is the retaining bolt, the one that is in the back (approximately 10 mm)?
Bleyseng
Yep, the one thats usually stripped out due to idiots over tightening it. dry.gif
Deano
Yep, it's 13mm and I didn't use a torque wrench, but I may have put about 5 ft/lbs on it. By the way I was able to find a perfect fit O-ring at Menards.
joeav8tor
I dont know if mine is stripped or not. it does not turn easily, it is snug...but still turns...I was afraid to overtighten it...but wouldnt be surprised if it is stripped...mine is also seeping, I ordered a new speedo angle drive seal...and will swap it out and check it out.
thanks
Joe
Allan
FYI, Porsche still carries them for about a buck...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.