Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystery Wires Continued
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
I have another couple mystery wires.

The first I assume is not original previous owner hijinks. It is cut at both ends. One end found near the shifter. It runs from there, through the tunnel to the engine compartment, along the firewall. The other end cut near the oil filter. It looks like a type of coax cable. Perplexed as to what it would be for. confused24.gif
Click to view attachment

I still have this brown / white stripe wire with spade connector that lands near the shifter. It is wrapped in the factory bundle tape and appears original. I can't find it on the wiring diagram or figure out what it is for.
Click to view attachment

Insight appreciated. blink.gif
76-914
Maybe it was rerouted in error and is possibly the one that is supposed to go up to the courtesy lamp behind the back pad? confused24.gif
FlacaProductions
The coax - maybe a lead for a CB antenna?
914_7T3
It’s for the hot air blower in the engine compartment. I believe it connects to the hot air lever with the red handle next to the shifter.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Sep 3 2023, 12:29 PM) *

The coax - maybe a lead for a CB antenna?

agree.gif

1970s Smokey detector.

RG-58 =CB cable. Get that outta’ there and seal whatever hole they cut to get it there.
DennisV
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Sep 3 2023, 09:30 AM) *

It’s for the hot air blower in the engine compartment. I believe it connects to the hot air lever with the red handle next to the shifter.

Negative. At least on our car. There are two separate cables that I can see move when actuating the red handle.
Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
It's an additional electrical connection - as opposed to the physical connection of those two cables. You pull the red lever up, it physically pulls those two cables opening the warm air valves. when you pull it all the way up (or nearly) it grounds the connection to the heater blower that sits on the drivers side next to the relay board, turning it on.
DennisV
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Sep 3 2023, 06:53 PM) *

It's an additional electrical connection - as opposed to the physical connection of those two cables. You pull the red lever up, it physically pulls those two cables opening the warm air valves. when you pull it all the way up (or nearly) it grounds the connection to the heater blower that sits on the drivers side next to the relay board, turning it on.

Fascinating! Can you share a photo of where that cable terminates? I looked at our lever but didn't see anything that looked like it was meant for an electrical connection.
Superhawk996
Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
agree.gif
sixnotfour
sportamtic shifter
Root_Werks
914-6's didn't have the electric heater blower motor anyway.

My guess is for optional sporto trans.
FlacaProductions
oooooh - didn't catch that this was a -6 but should have from the first pic....
Dave_Darling
Any wire running along the main harness that is not inside the vinyl tubing with the rest of the harness is an add-on of some kind.

Check the wiring diagram for your year/model to see what brown/white wires are present. See if any of those might wind up with a connector near the shifter.

--DD
ClayPerrine
It could be the wiring for the heated rear window. It was a separate harness.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.