Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Spare Wheel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
Been thinking... for cars with alloy wheels, did the spare wheel match the set or was it a steelie?
windforfun
Mine did as far as I know, but I bought the car used from a guy in MN. Five Pedrinis all clean as a cucumber.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
KELTY360
As I understand it, all five wheels matched but dealers were known to scavage alloys from the trunk of multiple cars to create a full set they could then sell as optional equipment.
ClayPerrine
According to the late Wes Hildreth, when he worked at the dealer, all 914s with alloy wheels came with a matching alloy spare. But the dealer would get 20 alloy lug bolts from the parts department, and swap out the spares from 4 cars with the steel wheels to put a set of alloys on a car that never came with alloy wheels from the factory. Then they could mark the price of that car up for the cost of the alloy wheels, and it didn't cost them anything but the price of the lug bolts.

mepstein
It causes an issue when you try to use the alloy wheel bolts with the steel (spare) wheel. The long bolts stick too far through the caliper and lock the wheel tight.
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 3 2023, 07:21 PM) *

According to the late Wes Hildreth, when he worked at the dealer, all 914s with alloy wheels came with a matching alloy spare. But the dealer would get 20 alloy lug bolts from the parts department, and swap out the spares from 4 cars with the steel wheels to put a set of alloys on a car that never came with alloy wheels from the factory. Then they could mark the price of that car up for the cost of the alloy wheels, and it didn't cost them anything but the price of the lug bolts.

Harvey Weidman was one of the people who told me the same thing.
StarBear
My 74 1.8 came with spare alloy matching the on-car four. Part of the appearance group package. biggrin.gif
DC_neun_vierzehn
My '73 2.0 came w/ 5 Fuchs, but who knows how it came when it was originally purchased.
Rusty
Thank you, gents. Looks like I'm in the market for a 4-bolt Fuchs.
Cairo94507
I bought a '73 2.0 brand new from Ely Porsche/Audi in Hayward in early '74. It came with 5 of the Fuchs wheels.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
always matched always.

However many dealers removed the spare, put a steel wheel in its place and then after four 914 sales had a set of alloy wheels they could sell to a customer who did not have alloys

QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 3 2023, 02:14 PM) *

Been thinking... for cars with alloy wheels, did the spare wheel match the set or was it a steelie?

Spoke
I got a 14in x 5in Fuchs for cheap for my spare wheel.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 3 2023, 07:19 PM) *

As I understand it, all five wheels matched but dealers were known to scavage alloys from the trunk of multiple cars to create a full set they could then sell as optional equipment.

They didn’t earn the name Stealerships without reason. barf.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
excellent term!!!!

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 6 2023, 05:52 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 3 2023, 07:19 PM) *

They didn’t earn the name Stealerships without reason. barf.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.