Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper backdating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Slouis
Greetings All, new member here and still trying to figure out this site navigation, so please bear with me. Looking to acquire a 914 (my dad had a Kermit the Frog green '73 1.7 when I was a kid and I loved driving it). I have a question that I'm sure has been answered here before- I saw a couple of recent posts on the topic.

What is involved in backdating a front bumper - say from a '73 appearance group to a '72 (ditching the rubber bumper 'boobs'). I assume a new chrome valance/bumper is needed but what else? I live in FL and don't need a front license plate. Are parts available in the aftermarket and who are the recommended suppliers?

Thanks so much.

Steve
Front yard mechanic
Just unbolt your tits and put on some bandaids and your good to go
Cairo94507
Welcome to our little hobby. welcome.png

I agree; pull the front bumper, remove the bumper guards and send the bumper out to be re-chromed. All backdated. beerchug.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(Slouis @ Sep 4 2023, 11:45 AM) *

Greetings All, new member here and still trying to figure out this site navigation, so please bear with me. Looking to acquire a 914 (my dad had a Kermit the Frog green '73 1.7 when I was a kid and I loved driving it). I have a question that I'm sure has been answered here before- I saw a couple of recent posts on the topic.

What is involved in backdating a front bumper - say from a '73 appearance group to a '72 (ditching the rubber bumper 'boobs'). I assume a new chrome valance/bumper is needed but what else? I live in FL and don't need a front license plate. Are parts available in the aftermarket and who are the recommended suppliers?

Thanks so much.

Steve

I strongly suggest keeping the "tits" on the 73 front bumper as on my chrome 73. I have seen several times that drivers have hit my front bumper in parking lots and the rubber stops have probably saved the hood area from further damage, especially with the drivers in FL that park by "feel." . If they're significantly damaged I would replace them.
Shivers
Click to view attachment

Four bolts and you are done. Same basic bumper. Now ditching the boobs and the license plate, unless you like plugs will be a bit more. You can do the work yourself or send a bumper to a reputable shop to have the holes filled and bumper re-chromed.
I put in the cooler opening on mine.
CCE
I did take out the rubber bumpers, they where cracked when I found the car, and needed replacement anyway.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment we do need the license plate here.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Sep 4 2023, 02:09 PM) *

Just unbolt your tits and put on some bandaids and your good to go

Exactly.

I have a 73 w/ black bumpers.

I removed my bumper (just 4 bolts, 2 in each wheel well) to access the bumperettes bolts (also 4 bolts) and removed them. I went to Ace Hardware and found black plastic plugs the fit the holes perfectly. I was lucky, it wasn't rusty or gritty under the bumperettes when I removed them. Often the bumper will be rough under there from trapped water.

I don't find the plug terribly noticeable - at least they don't bother me at all. I didn't want to fill the holes permanently because I always want the option with any mod to flip back to stock/original if necessary.

Stock/original will always fetch more money if/when you try to sell.

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you will regret it, besides the bumper guards making the front end look longer and not so BLUNT, they protect the car and bumper from "bumps"

QUOTE(Slouis @ Sep 4 2023, 12:45 PM) *

Thanks so much.

Steve

Geezer914
If you are going to paint the bumper, I took small pieces of sheet metal and glued them to the back of the holes with JB Weld. Then filled the holes from the front using JB Weld. Sanded them smooth and painted the bumper.Click to view attachment
burton73
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 6 2023, 09:29 AM) *

you will regret it, besides the bumper guards making the front end look longer and not so BLUNT, they protect the car and bumper from "bumps"

QUOTE(Slouis @ Sep 4 2023, 12:45 PM) *

Thanks so much.

Steve

I totally agree with George, and they really do help in a small collision where otherwise that front Chrome bumper is going to take the abuse

Bob B

And welcome.png
Dave_Darling
An interesting possibility is to use the smaller 75-76 "bumper tits", which can be mounted in the same location as the larger 73-74 ones. I think new mounting holes may need to be drilled, though, so it may not be a total bolt-in swap.

A decent-looking reversible delete of the "bumper tits" on a chrome bumper can be done by using some carriage-head bolts. Just cut them off short so they don't hit the body panel. You might even be able to find small chrome plugs at your local hardware store that would fit.

--DD
DrinkMan
Previous owner removed the ugly and re-chromed. I love it.

IPB Image
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 6 2023, 06:45 PM) *

A decent-looking reversible delete of the "bumper tits" on a chrome bumper can be done by using some carriage-head bolts. Just cut them off short so they don't hit the body panel.

I did that on my big six. You can see the bolt heads, but they look good.

Click to view attachment

Yes, I have a front plate. It is required in Texas. And I am not going to give the cops an easy reason to stop me.

Geezer914
You can find SS carriage bolts at the hardware store that you can sand and polish to a chrome finish.
Miniwerks
My bumpers were backdated and I think there may be spacers missing between the rubber cap and chrome bumper as it sits below the top line of the trunk and headlights. I don't see those being offered on the aftermarket sites but are they just 5mm?
914Sixer
Later 75-76 bumper horns DO NOT FIT. Different holes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.