Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSD 6A Failing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Root_Werks
914-6 with CIS 2.7, Pertronix instead of points and MSD 6A box for the ignition.

Went for a drive Sunday and the 914 missed a few times, noted the tach jumped to 0, or tried to anyway.

Checked connections, visually inspected what I could. Tried to drive again today, same thing. Not very often, but it'll cut out for a second, like a power loss to the coil or the MSD Box?

Or is my MSD 6A failing? Anyone experience anything like this. Would sort of figure the 6A would either work or not work.

confused24.gif
Justinp71
I have always heard they work or they don't. Interesting tach went to 0. Problem with the power to the 6al maybe? Maybe the ground on the box is getting corroded?
Root_Werks
Fired it up, died, no restart.

Power to the MSD is good, shouldn't the orange wire go live when ignition is on? This would be the wire that goes to the coil.
sixnotfour
My buddy Fred, Pertronics,,the plastic ring split ,,same symptoms..Then would not start ,,points back in runs good..
jim_hoyland
There is an in-between. I went down this road.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 5 2023, 05:24 PM) *

My buddy Fred, Pertronics,,the plastic ring split ,,same symptoms..Then would not start ,,points back in runs good..

I think you may have nailed it Jeff. Little LED on my 6A says the box is functioning properly. I'll test the Pertronics today and report back.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 6 2023, 07:39 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 5 2023, 05:24 PM) *

I think you may have nailed it Jeff. Little LED on my 6A says the box is functioning properly. I'll test the Pertronics today and report back.

@sixnotfour

Yup, was the Pertronics unit. Tested bad, have a new one in the trunk. 20 minutes to swap out. My big, round Charlie Brown head doesn't fit that well close to the dizzy. Took a few minutes to sort things out.

I'll order another Pertronics and toss in the trunk as well as a set of points just in case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.