Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Had a a massive flat spot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michel richard
I have indicated elsewhere that I used to run Mechanical Injection on the 2.2E engine in my 914. I switched to PMO carburetors because I had a huge flat spot, actually more like a through, a bog, an abyss, a souse hole, or a black hole, between 3,000 and 3,800 rpm, especially at WOT.

When the PMOs went on, I still had the bog, so I was massively disapointed.

Early this afternoon I made arrangements with my main mechanic man, and we went for a test drive. Sure enough, the abyss was still there. He felt that it was probably ignition related.

Back at the shop, he started fidling with a strobe light and reving the engine and figured out that the ignition was snapping to 72 degress advance between 3,600 and 3,800 rpm ! His immediate thought was that MSD box was causing the problem.

I drove back home and wired in a Bosch CDI unit that I got as part of my Jon Lowe project purchase . . . and that solved the problem. Final diagnostic: bad MSD box.

Moral of the story is: a lot of things that can look induction related to the amateur mechanic, are actually ignition. Make triple sure your ignition is 100% up to snuff before you start making big injection or carb changes.

Hope this experience can benefit others.

Michel Richard
ArtechnikA
1) yet another reason to hate MSD. i know a lot of you love them; i *used to*.
2) there is a reason the "MFI Ten Demandments" exist.

glad you found & fixed your chasm ...
michel richard
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 17 2005, 01:50 PM)

2) there is a reason the "MFI Ten Demandments" exist.

glad you found & fixed your chasm ...

I must say the thought did cross my mind . . . Oh, and thanks for that extra synonym.

M
TimT
when I was a kid a wise old mechanic told me that many carb problems are solved in the distributor!!

thanks dad!! beer.gif
goose2
I have a friend who spent many agonizing days fiddling and cursing his Webers to no avail. Turns out someone had put a too long screw in the distributor and it was fouling the advance mechanism. 5 minutes and a 15 cent screw fixed it.
goose2
I must say I like the way that first post of mine flows.

Pure Poetry clap.gif
michel richard
Hihi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.