Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rusted out seat belt bolt/nut area: what to do..?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jclanin
Hi all,

I'm in the process of stripping the interior of my '76 2.0. Dealing with a bit of surface rust, but there is a substantial amount of rust at the outter passenger side seat belt connection area.

I'll need to have this section cut out and new metal welded in. I'm in Atlanta. Anyone know of a good person/shop for the job? It will involve afixing a new seat belt bolt nut on the new welded piece, so a bit more of a pain.

thanks!

Jim Clanin
burton73
This would be Auto Atlanta. Give George a call.

Bob B
dr914@autoatlanta.com
here is the weld in seat belt nut:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-911...4501434NUT.html

QUOTE(jclanin @ Sep 6 2023, 12:12 PM) *

Hi all,

I'm in the process of stripping the interior of my '76 2.0. Dealing with a bit of surface rust, but there is a substantial amount of rust at the outter passenger side seat belt connection area.

I'll need to have this section cut out and new metal welded in. I'm in Atlanta. Anyone know of a good person/shop for the job? It will involve afixing a new seat belt bolt nut on the new welded piece, so a bit more of a pain.

thanks!

Jim Clanin

mepstein
You have to make sure the area you weld the nut into isn’t rotted out. That’s really common with these cars and super dangerous if your seatbelt lets go, just when you need it most.

Dlee6205
Your seat belt mount is attached to the longitudinal. If your mount has rusted through, then you have more serious rust issues to deal with.
930cabman
QUOTE(Dlee6205 @ Sep 6 2023, 02:52 PM) *

Your seat belt mount is attached to the longitudinal. If your mount has rusted through, then you have more serious rust issues to deal with.

Hate to agree, but this is most likely the case. Get her to AA and have George looks things over, he is the doctor for good reason and will get you in good shape.
burton73
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 6 2023, 02:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Dlee6205 @ Sep 6 2023, 02:52 PM) *

Hate to agree, but this is most likely the case. Get her to AA and have George looks things over, he is the doctor for good reason and will get you in good shape.

agree.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
and that is the weak point where they start to sag
930cabman
welcome.png

Stick close with the world of 914, we will assist getting you on the right track
Cairo94507
Yup, Auto Atlanta is your destination. You want the person that fixes this to go, "Yeah, did 2 of those last week." Not, "Sure I can weld that up." George and his shop specialize in our cars. beerchug.gif
jclanin
Thanks Guys! This is a fantastic forum:)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.