Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No power to fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porscheteck914
Hello Gents . I have a problem hope you can help me . No 12v to fuel pump . Switch on . Thru these tests . Checked 25amp blue fuse on rear relay board and have 12v power on both sides of it . Did rotate relays around.-no change Checked to see if I had power going up to relays on relay board, with probe - have power to relays in at least one pin hole . I have NO 12v power on blk /red wire pin at 13 harness connector . Bad relay board ?- under at solder connection ???? Should I check continuity from which relay to blk /red 13 pin ? thank you for any help . WTF.gif Paul 1973 1.7 fuel inj
Dave_Darling
Check Jeff Bowlsby's 914 Tech Notebook site:

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

You'll find two relevant documents linked there--
https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_FI_FPChecklist.pdf
https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_FI_FPChecklist2.pdf

Bookmark the Bowlsby site, it's worth looking over any time you have a problem!!

--DD
ClayPerrine
Remove the fuel pump relay.

Turn the key on.

Slowly open the throttle while listening for clicks from the injectors. If you don't hear that, then the ECU is not getting power, and that will keep the fuel pump from running.

If you hear the clicking, then jumper pin 30 to pin 87 on the fuel pump relay socket. Does the pump run?

Test and let us know the results.

second wind
I chased this problem for three months this year and I had intermittent success......changed 13 different components on my car....would bet money it was the 50 year old wiring harness.....I took my old one out and it looks like the one on Jeff's website....rat's nest!! Replaced the harness and bingo has been good to go. The relay board also is a culprit and the round relays as well....make sure the pins are spread apart so that good contact is made....get a multi meter and have at it! Good luck....
gg
porschetub
QUOTE(porscheteck914 @ Sep 7 2023, 09:46 AM) *

Hello Gents . I have a problem hope you can help me . No 12v to fuel pump . Switch on . Thru these tests . Checked 25amp blue fuse on rear relay board and have 12v power on both sides of it . Did rotate relays around.-no change Checked to see if I had power going up to relays on relay board, with probe - have power to relays in at least one pin hole . I have NO 12v power on blk /red wire pin at 14 harness connector . Bad relay board ?- under at solder connection ???? Should I check continuity from which relay to blk /red 14 pin ? thank you for any help . WTF.gif Paul 1973 1.7 fuel inj

Best 'go to' is to power your pump direct via a remote battery , if your pump is close to it use the cars battery.
Did you check the power supply relay in the relay board I had one go so the power direct to battery for pump indicated that , replaced it and all was good .
Something to go on with for starters but always expect more with these old cars,cheers.
EJP914
I am having same problem on my 73 1.7. Everything checks out ok on the relay board, but when I check the connector at the fuel pump with my test light for power, test light doesn't light up. Im thinking maybe loose or broken wire at the connection plug since I found a bunch of tape under the rubber boot.
I see the wire runs upward from the fuel pump, but I can't see where it goes from there.
I assume into the engine bay? Is it under the FI brain or battery shelf.
I would like to pull the wire up through so I can look closer at the wire connection point and repair it if its bad
Trying to do this while lying on the floor does not make this easy.
Thanks for the replies.
EJP914
Superhawk996
Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
You might also verify the ground circuit. It’s just a single brown wire from the FP connector housing to the grouped ground ring terminal on the bolt to the chassis under the relay board.
porscheteck914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 6 2023, 07:56 PM) *

QUOTE(porscheteck914 @ Sep 7 2023, 09:46 AM) *

Hello Gents . I have a problem hope you can help me . No 12v to fuel pump . Switch on . Thru these tests . Checked 25amp blue fuse on rear relay board and have 12v power on both sides of it . Did rotate relays around.-no change Checked to see if I had power going up to relays on relay board, with probe - have power to relays in at least one pin hole . I have NO 12v power on blk /red wire pin at 14 harness connector . Bad relay board ?- under at solder connection ???? Should I check continuity from which relay to blk /red 14 pin ? thank you for any help . WTF.gif Paul 1973 1.7 fuel inj

Best 'go to' is to power your pump direct via a remote battery , if your pump is close to it use the cars battery.
Did you check the power supply relay in the relay board I had one go so the power direct to battery for pump indicated that , replaced it and all was good .
Something to go on with for starters but always expect more with these old cars,cheers.

Yes did run jumper wires to fuel pump it does work . thanks! still checking other stuff.
porscheteck914
QUOTE(porscheteck914 @ Sep 6 2023, 04:46 PM) *

Hello Gents . I have a problem hope you can help me . No 12v to fuel pump . Switch on . Thru these tests . Checked 25amp blue fuse on rear relay board and have 12v power on both sides of it . Did rotate relays around.-no change Checked to see if I had power going up to relays on relay board, with probe - have power to relays in at least one pin hole . I have NO 12v power on blk /red wire pin at 13 harness connector . Bad relay board ?- under at solder connection ???? Should I check continuity from which relay to blk /red 13 pin ? thank you for any help . WTF.gif Paul 1973 1.7 fuel inj

porscheteck914
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Sep 6 2023, 11:18 PM) *

You might also verify the ground circuit. It’s just a single brown wire from the FP connector housing to the grouped ground ring terminal on the bolt to the chassis under the relay board.
O.K. Scrubbed off and very clean . getting ground .
porscheteck914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 6 2023, 06:56 PM) *

Turn the key on.

Slowly open the throttle while listening for clicks from the injectors. If you don't hear that, then the ECU is not getting power, and that will keep the fuel pump from running.

If you hear the clicking, then jumper pin 30 to pin 87 on the fuel pump relay socket. Does the pump run?

NO ticking
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(porscheteck914 @ Sep 7 2023, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 6 2023, 06:56 PM) *

Turn the key on.

NO ticking

Check the power to the ECU. Put the fuel pump relay back in. Take out the ECU relay, and jumper pin 30 to pin 87 on the fuel pump relay socket. See if you get the clicking from the injectors and see if the fuel pump does the 2 second prime cycle.

Let us know the results.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
read the non starting procedure in the appendix of the" tech tips 700" book for complete trouble shooting and check the ground leads at the back of the block as well as the ground stud to the left of the relay board on the left drivers firetwall

QUOTE(porscheteck914 @ Sep 6 2023, 02:46 PM) *

TheCabinetmaker
IIRC, the djet pump only powers for a half second when the key is turned on. That's primes, and pressurizes the system to start. After the engine starts, the ECU takes over to run the pump.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Sep 7 2023, 04:31 PM) *

IIRC, the djet pump only powers for a half second when the key is turned on. That's primes, and pressurizes the system to start. After the engine starts, the ECU takes over to run the pump.

The ECU is what controls the fuel pump relay, so when the ECU is powered on, it turns on the fuel pump for 2 seconds.
porscheteck914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 7 2023, 10:11 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Sep 7 2023, 04:31 PM) *

The ECU is what controls the fuel pump relay, so when the ECU is powered on, it turns on the fuel pump for 2 seconds.

I am going thru the check off list about the relay board. I am getting closer to thinking its ECU not powering up the fuel pump . Will do the ECU check off list next and see whats up . Working on it . Thank you for the help ideas. Will get back with results . thanks, Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.