Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drove a 916 yesterday...and what a
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
Drove the (repainted) Gemini Blue over Pumpkin leather car, fresh from a mechanical restoration with a 2.7 RS motor and new, period correct 185/70R15 tires.

Before you ask about photos, they're not back and I don't own them...yet.

The car was interesting -- both so much cooler than I ever imagined it would be and a letdown ( ohmy.gif ) in other ways.

First, I am sure if you drove it back to back with any stock 914 of the day you'd be plain amazed. But it's not THAT fast by modern standards (though it's certainly not slow) and never feels "fast." It just feels really nice and really balanced and really well resolved.

Plus, all of our tinkering over the last 30 years means there are a lot of -- if not most -- 914s that have more grip from better tires, different suspension, etc. So I suspect a lot of 914club members have -4s and -6s that handle better.

But it drove SO well and there are some very cool "trippy" things like resting your foot on a a "dead pedal" that's oil coolers lines covered by plush factory carpeting or seeing the perforated white headliner in your peripheral vision as you haul ass down a back road in a 914. The absence of a dogleg tranny is a trip too, though many like Marty and others have these in their modified 914s.

Probably the closest thing I have driven to it in terms of overall input feel and sounds is a stock 2.7 RS, kind of like the same show in a different theater. The steering is remarkably similar, but does something different due to the 916's longer wheelbase. It feels the same, but has a more precise effect. And the chassis with that wide track and long wheelbase is FAR better, and a lot less "nervous." Not sure that's quite the right word.

I bet back in the day, this car would have KILLED an RS 2.7 on most roads. pray.gif

pete
Jeroen
Ya lucky b@stard!

Just out of curiosity, how do you think it compares to a Boxster (lets say a 2.5, which makes similar HP's) ?
sixnotfour
Thats got to be the one that was at the Montery Historics 50Years Porsche , It was open then and got to look it all over up close, Nice car, too bad porsche didn't make more.
bondo
A 916 has a longer wheelbase? How? I had no idea!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (bondo @ Aug 17 2005, 07:22 PM)

read the review again...

it has a longer wheelbase *than the 2,7RS* he was comparing it to ...
bondo
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 17 2005, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Aug 17 2005, 07:22 PM)

read the review again...

it has a longer wheelbase *than the 2,7RS* he was comparing it to ...

Derrrr.. Oops! blink.gif
Part Pricer

Pete,

Did I ever mention that I hate you? mad.gif biggrin.gif

When is this going to appear in the mag?

seanery
drooley.gif Ya Bastard!!!

(from someone else's stolen wireless connection in Honolulu wink.gif )
ChrisReale
Remember, this is coming from somebody who has driven a Carrera GT.... biggrin.gif
I envy you, that sounds like a cool car to drive
Porsche Rescue
Thanks Pete. I consider it a priviledge to have the editor of a great P car magazine as a regular contributor to this board, posting as "one of us", which you are.
J P Stein
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Aug 17 2005, 03:03 PM)

Probably the closest thing I have driven to it in terms of overall input feel and sounds is a stock 2.7 RS, kind of like the same show in a different theater. The steering is remarkably similar, but does something different due to the 916's longer wheelbase. It feels the same, but has a more precise effect. And the chassis with that wide track and long wheelbase is FAR better, and a lot less "nervous." Not sure that's quite the right word.

I bet back in the day, this car would have KILLED an RS 2.7 on most roads. pray.gif

pete

OK, we got him by the short hairs now laugh.gif

If we let this quote loose on the taildragger BBSs there'll be
pissants with pickforks & torches surrounding the sumptious Excellence offices.......BLASPHMEY !!!

The Boxster suffers under the same managment that the 914 did. The 911's triumph of development over design is holding sway even now. Think of a Boxster/Gaym.....ah.. Cayman with
some of that development and a GT3 motor.

Print sumthin' nice about us, Pete, or it's to the bunring stake with ya.

Eric_Shea
Poor, poor Pete. Just another shitty day at work. sad.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

(someone had to do it) w00t.gif
mike_the_man
Well, I'd say it's official now. Pete really does have the best job in the world! I'm just a little jealous. laugh.gif

Will this be a future Excellence article Pete? I look forward to reading it.

EdwardBlume
Cool deal. Thanks for the description. You got to drive the Pamela Anderson of 914s.
i love porsche
that is absolutely amazing!

i cant wait for an article, if there is one!
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Rob Ways @ Aug 18 2005, 05:41 AM)
Cool deal. Thanks for the description. You got to drive the Pamela Anderson of 914s.

Pam? wub.gif I wanna drive.... Please

I figure I have about the same chance in hell of driving either.
redshift
Awesome. smile.gif

I love lookin' at 'em.

M
mudfoot76
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Aug 18 2005, 08:56 AM)
I figure I have about the same chance in hell of driving either.

Though your odds of catching a communicable disease from Pammy are way higher than from driving a 916 wink.gif
brownaar
[QUOTE]I figure I have about the same chance in hell of driving either

Yeah, either one can wind you up with a serious case of chassis rot.

lol2.gif
horizontally-opposed
Oops, did I imply it was better than the RS 2.7? happy11.gif

Jeroen, it's SUPER different than a 986 2.5, which I roll daily (it's got 18x10s and room for my man purse wink.gif ).

the big thing I think is the fact this thing was on fresh 185/70R15 Veredsteins, which are actually GREAT tires but super narrow. The car handled REALLY well for having such skinny tires, but in a way that made sense given it's on the same 15x7s at all four corners with the same tires -- and mondo spacers to get the wheels out in the flares.

So it drives kinda like it looks -- I'm not saying this very well -- it feels like it's got skinny tires pushed way out past the bodywork. It's a TRIP!

I didn't get comfortable enough to go REALLY quick as it belongs to someone else and just as my comfort level was happy enough to go from 5-6 tenths to 7-8 tenths, we got this bizarre resonnance rubbing noise caused by a slightly misadjusted pad on the LR caliper. Drats!

Still, the 2.7 RS motor is a peach, the shifter (at least in this one) doesn't deserve the bad rap it got in Excellence years ago (that was Gregg's old car and who knows what it went through), and it's a fabulous, super interesting Porsche.

Sadly, these cars will probably never be as appreciated as, say, an RSL 2.7 -- because it doesn't have "the shape." that said, I think the love these cars get from 914 fans is so strong that it more than makes up for the numbers on the other side.

Just a really cool car, and if you like 914s, the one you want more than a RS.

I want one... wub.gif

pete

Oh yeah, it will be in an upcoming issue, if my quickie photo shoot comes out alright...
fatlando
so uh,...how about an issue dedicated to the 914??? biggrin.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Aug 18 2005, 05:00 PM)
the big thing I think is the fact this thing was on fresh 185/70R15 Veredsteins, which are actually GREAT tires but super narrow

Never thought the Vredestein tires were available in the US
(they're made here in Holland)

Why the skinny tires though? Is that what it came equiped with originally?
horizontally-opposed
Jeroen, I *think* the car woulda been on 185/70s, but I haven't broken out all the research yet.

I am sure someone here knows far more than I do about this, as I've been forced to divert my 914 geekness to a more general geekness across all Porsche models. So these days I am only a moderately knowlegeable geek for any given Porsche -- and sure to be shot down for venturing too far out on the tree... cool.gif

This is the conclusion I've been trying to get to: What makes the 916 so alluring is how it works so well as a SYSTEM. So many on this board have so far surpassed it with bigger motors and better suspention, and bigger brakes, and superior tires, etc, etc, etc.

And a lot of those cars are knee-tremblingly cool, like Marty's flat-fan and 914 RS's yellow beast, and, and, and...

But the 916 is neat because while the 2.7 never really "blows you away" with its speed, it's just so well put together in a package that's perfectly matched.

I totally respect those who do nutty things with older Porsches and love all the 3.6-liter and SBC projects, but I think I would try to build the sweetest 911 motor I could with modest power (if I can ever afford a conversion!), something like a twin-plug MFI 2.5.

Don't worry Jake, I am probably still headed your way though... whenever that will be. chowtime.gif

Oh yeah, one last 916 tidbit: The guy shuts the door while I am taking a picture of the interior and it sounds -- exactly -- like a 911 door closing. Wow was this car tight after all these years...

But I better stop posting my 916 drivel, lest somebody come and mortar my miniscule office. alfred.gif The thing to remember is this: I never -- NEVER -- thought I'd get to do any of this stuff either -- but there is always -- ALWAYS -- a way.

Oh damn, I think I hear final proofing of Tech Notes calling. Better get out the toothpicks... wink.gif

pete
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Aug 18 2005, 01:39 PM)
...I think I would try to build the sweetest 911 motor I could with modest power (if I can ever afford a conversion!), something like a twin-plug MFI 2.5.

there's This One if you can jump in and meet the reserve real quick...

what's the process for submitting tech articles (a la Eric's)? do i send you a proposal or do i do the project on spec and submit the finished work?

i have a few projects that are probably of general interest scheduled for the winter...
horizontally-opposed
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

Yeah, I spotted this one and am definitely interested, but am too conservative to buy an engine like this (and broke just now, besides). I'd rather buck up and build one that I know hasn't been over-revved, etc later.

Or maybe never... dry.gif

pete
horizontally-opposed
"Art,"

Whether you go on to write for Excellence or something else, I think you really should figure a way to share more of what you've been gifted with.

Best,

pete
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Aug 18 2005, 02:39 PM)
...I think you really should figure a way to share more of what you've been gifted with.

thanks - PM on its way...

just now, i don't mind the "sharing" part, but what i'm really trying to figure out is the "getting paid for it" part :-)
Gustl
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Aug 18 2005, 06:56 PM)

yepp - that's why

the 916s came with 185/70-15 on 7x15" Fuchs

Porsche Rescue
Many of you guy's aren't old enough to remember, but in 1970 a 185/70 tire was "macho rubber". 70 profile was the first common low profile tire to hit the market, used on '60's US muscle cars. Later came 60 profile. 50 series Pirelli P7's on the first 928's in 1978 were radical in their day.
jd74914
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Aug 18 2005, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Aug 18 2005, 05:00 PM)
the big thing I think is the fact this thing was on fresh 185/70R15 Veredsteins, which are actually GREAT tires but super narrow

Never thought the Vredestein tires were available in the US
(they're made here in Holland)

Yep, They were (my Dad's 914 had them) and I think you can still buy them here too
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.