Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No gauge back light,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
plus33614483028@gmail.com
Hello, on a beer3.gif 1976 2.0, no light on the gauge.
After unmounting the gauges, a flying black and blue wire is existing and the gauge lamps wire are black or black/purple instead of black/blue.
I will appreciate if somebody can help.

Sorry for my bad English, I'm a french (and newcomer)
Nicolas Click to view attachment
davep
It does appear that some wire there may have been replaced. Most have the neoprene socks on the terminals to insulate them. Those that are missing socks were probably replaced. The one in the middle should have the sock pulled down into place.
Yes, Black with blue marker are the dimmable illumination wires. The black/purple is generally just the tachometer wire. You will need to see what wires are on your headlight switch. Got to run now, but will look up more details for you.
rfinegan
combo gauge only has one back light if I Recall correctly and does not light very bright(even with LED in place) not very help full, but good to know
Literati914
The black/blue wire looks like it has been cut… and IT is the light. So it needs to be joined with the same color wire [I think black/blue was dash lighting thru all years of 914] from the other gauges (maybe you can find the same color wire cut somewhere else ?), otherwise find the same color black/blue wire elsewhere and splice in to it. Good luck.

QUOTE(davep @ Sep 8 2023, 07:08 AM) *

It does appear that some wire there may have been replaced. Most have the neoprene socks on the terminals to insulate them. Those that are missing socks were probably replaced. The one in the middle should have the sock pulled down into place.
Yes, Black with blue marker are the dimmable illumination wires. The black/purple is generally just the tachometer wire. You will need to see what wires are on your headlight switch. Got to run now, but will look up more details for you.

thanks Guys it helps me..
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Sep 8 2023, 07:11 AM) *

combo gauge only has one back light if I Recall correctly and does not light very bright(even with LED in place) not very help full, but good to know

wink.gif
barefoot
The lamp socket behind the yellow front indicator is the gauge illumination socket, check that wiring and the bulb itself. i replaced mine with an LED bulb, works much better.

Barefoot
emerygt350
Welcome! And be careful with those little light terminals. The center bit the wire slides on to pull out and get damaged if you are rough removing them. Try to always pull the light assembly out by the round cap bit.
87m491
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Sep 8 2023, 05:11 AM) *

The combo gauge has 2 general illumination bulbs. Seen in the pic with black lead and blk blu dotted lead. You can tell the general lights vs idiot/specific lights in each dash gauge by the mount. Idiot/specific lights, in each gauge use a plastic mount and ground through a tang outside the plastic. Hint if you use polarized LEDs here, the negative goes on the tang side.

The general illumination bulbs, BA9s?, use the spring loaded mounts that look like spent bullet shells and ground through the holder into the gauge back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.