Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Chassis Cart / Rotisserie Designs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zaffer
As the title suggests, I’m looking for diagrams/blueprints/pictures for a chassis cart. I know there are many and I had pictures of one in particular I liked, but I accidentally deleted it. The one I’m thinking of was home built and the person who posted it used hand drawings showing the measurements/dimensions of the cart. I would like to build one for my 914 as I’m getting ready to bring it home to complete the tear down so I can start going through it to repair the rust on it, primarily the passenger long. While a rotisserie would be nice, I don’t currently have the cash for a pre-built one and haven’t been able to find good build plans for building one, but would not be opposed to this route as well.

What are the benefits/down sides to both?

Please post what you have used/built and any build plans/blueprints you may have. I figured it would be nice to have one thread where people can easily reference different designs and choose what would work best for them. If this type of thread already exists, please direct me to it.

Thank you!
Optimusglen
I 3D modeled this one, I was considering making it, but it might be overkill for what I need.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Dimensions are here on PBase but I made a few alterations and used different wheels from McMaster
mlindner
Hi Zaffer, her is mine. Easy to weld up, brake down for storage. Worked great for my 5 year build, Best, MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=887
254]Click to view attachment
MikeK
I've yet to rack up my current 914, but I like the Emory style, octagon racks. Easy to build and effective. I don't see much point in a rack that simply rolls the body around the shop, unless there are no repairs to be done underneath (good luck!). The value in the rack is being able to turn the car on it's side, thus saving your back while your doing repairs underneath.

Good plan getting all of the rack/rotisserie info in one thread.

mlindner
Mike you are correct. I used mine on top of a scissors lift, could easly get at every inch. And still be able to roll around the shop or outside for any welding or blasting. MarkClick to view attachment
Zaffer
This is precisely what I’m talking about! Having the dimensions represented in pictures to gat a good idea of what’s involved. This is a good one, but how does one lock the car down? I saw one on another thread today that used pins to sit in the jack point holes, but I could see where that would lead to problems replacing those components, if needed.
Zaffer
These are all great so far, and interesting to see the variations in design and get real world feedback on use!

As I stated before, not objecting to homemade rotisseries, either!
mepstein
QUOTE(Zaffer @ Sep 8 2023, 01:19 PM) *

This is precisely what I’m talking about! Having the dimensions represented in pictures to gat a good idea of what’s involved. This is a good one, but how does one lock the car down? I saw one on another thread today that used pins to sit in the jack point holes, but I could see where that would lead to problems replacing those components, if needed.

I don’t lock the car down on a cart unless it’s going on a trailer. The weight of the chassis is more than enough to keep it settled.
MikeK
For reference, this is the Emory style rack I like to use.
Superhawk996
See Jeff Hail thread

Complete dimensions for his “jigster” build cart are in there. Post #178, page 9

Very useful for chassis longitudinal repairs to have a reference platform that supports the chassis while it is cut up.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=76791

Click to view attachment
Ishley
I built a tip over jig. Steel welded together for the main rack and wood for the roll over part. You can see from the pics how it is put together. I still have the front and rear steel racks and would be willing to donate them to someone who wants to pick them up in the Chicago suburbs.

Rear rack bolts to the trans mounts and front rack bolts where the aux suspension support connects body. It’s not really a cart… it’s made to move around and used to roll the car on the side

Worked really good to replace the floor pan and clean/paint the bottom. I rolled the car up and down at least 10 times. It takes too people to take it up and down.
JeffBowlsby
Here are a few:

JeffBowlsby
And this one:
mepstein
More than once, we’ve attached casters to a sturdy pallet (some are much sturdier than the cheap ones you usually see) and moved a tub around the shop. It’s a good solution when you want cheap and fast.
saladin
Hello @Zaffer ,

I and getting ready to build a rotisserie for the one car garage (with limited fore and aft space) where my 914 currently resides. I considered a regular rotisserie, but deemed too long; then considered an octagon rotisserie, but deemed unpractical as I would need to roll it out of the garage, rotate it, move the casters, then roll it back into the garage; and then settled on a rotisserie used by a painter contracted by PMB Performance. Below is my limited research.

Full Length Rotisserie
Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC Rotisserie Plan
Click to view attachment

Auto Atlanta Rotisserie Plan
Click to view attachment

J&D Racing Engineering Rotisserie Plan
Click to view attachment

Patrick Motorsports
Click to view attachment

Red Wing Steel Works Rotisserie Plan (hydraulic up/down)
Click to view attachment

Octogon Rotisserie

@aggiezig A Texas Sized Project - 1975 2.0L, 12/8/20 (start at Post #49)
Click to view attachment

Restoration Design
914 World Topic (plan set starting at Post #18)
Build Your Own DIY-Rotisserie: Porsche 914 Youtube Video
Click to view attachment

Low Profile Plan
Click to view attachment

911 Plans
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Shorten Rotisserie
Still working out the dimensions...
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks,

Ken
Zaffer
These are all FANTASTIC! It gives a good compilation of different styles/designs depending on available space and money availability! My current space is roughly 12x24 and my ceiling goes from 6-1/2 feet to 10 feet, but it also has stuff in it (compressor, tool box, engine hoist, engine stand, etc.), so that space is less. I'll have to see what each style would take and what is going to meet my needs.

The "Jigster" one was exactly the one I was looking for when I started this post, but some of the other designs might work better for my space.

This is a great compilation so far and it might be worth making a sticky for easy reference as more and more of us are restoring these cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.