Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
As I'm pulling out of a parking lot today, I hear a clunk from the rear end and the engine revs because there is no power going to the rear wheels. I've had a few issues with not getting it into first all the way so I figure it just popped out of gear, but no - it can't be that easy. So AAA brings me home and I check out the grub screws - nope, they are both in place too!

So that eliminates all the easy things and I think it points to something internal (and really bad/expensive) inside the transmission. It's a 73 with side-shifter tranny.

Here's what I know -
1. It seems to shift fine into all gears. I've visually confirmed the movement of the shaft on the transmission.
2. With one rear wheel in the air and one on the ground, if I put it in gear and let out the clutch the wheel in the air turns in the expected direction. There are some clunking sounds to be heard that make me think something isn't right with the synchro mechanism. It sounds like they are coming from the other wheel "slipping" as it is supposed to do.
3. There is no apparent problem with the clutch operation.

Before I pull the tranny, what am I looking for? If this set of symptoms sounds familiar, what do you think it is? Can I determine the cause by removing the side-shifter mechanism or do I need to take off the nose cone? Who in Arizona should I take it too? (I'm going to be in Phoenix this weekend.)

Since putting it back on the road on June 11th, this car has been a dream to drive. Fortunately I've got another transmission so there will be no problem with making it to the Red Rock Classic in September, but I'm still bummed about it.
bondo
Your CV joint came loose. 4 screws and 2 pins and it's fixed, provided it didn't hit anything important. smile.gif
bondo
(could be a broken CV too)

You really need both wheels in the air to figure this out. (and maybe 2 people)

Put it in gear, raise the car, and try and turn each wheel, while holding the other. I bet you will find something not turning that should.
ThinAir
Update -

Just like Royce said, something isn't turning that should. The outer passenger-side CV joint came loose. All the bolts are still there. I'll have to wait until I get the shaft pulled to see whether the pins are present and if the holes are wallowed out. At least it isn't something internal to the tranny!
Andyrew
clunk clunk clunk... Thats cv all right....

Check my latest autox video.... lol
VegasRacer
QUOTE (ThinAir914 @ Aug 17 2005, 05:17 PM)
there will be no problem with making it to the Red Rock Classic in September

Good deal Ernie.

If something is gonna break, at least it was well before the event and close to home.
ThinAir
Yup, Andrew - just like that! So who's the giggler in the car with you?

Update -

There is good news! The PO didn't put the pins in the outer CV joint. So the good news is that the holes are not wallowed out and there is no damage. The bad news is that I need some CV pins so I can put it back together. The odds are good that there are no pins on the driver's side either. So I need 4. Anyone have any or know a source? I haven't started searching the online sources yet.
Joe Ricard
PM me your address I'll get them right out.
EdwardBlume
I had the same problem with my old car at 70 on the freeway. I originally thought I blew the clutch somehow because it sounds really bad when you bust through the CV pins (loud knocks).

The good news is that its not a bigger problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.