Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Start up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hndyhrr
I will be starting up the Pumpkin (70 , 1.7) It's been about 3 years since she was started.

Should I change oil first then start or start and run and then change oil when warm?

Should I drip a little Marvel mystery oil in cylinders before start up ( yes I know she will smoke like hell)?

I had extra injectors done by Mr. Injector, should I start up, change oil and then change injectors.

Keeping fingers crossed it goes with no hick ups. lol

Thanks

Renee
Robarabian
Renee,

If it has been sitting that long, there is likely moisture in that oil. I would change it first. Hopefully you have turned the motor by hand over the years but many dont. You should lubricate the cylinders a bit. Doesnt have to be Marvel, it can be motor oil, but A little wouldn't hurt anything. Don't drown it. A better option might be aerosol Fogging oil (search it online) as you may be able to coat more of the cylinder.

You might pull the plugs, put some oil in there, crank it a bit to build some oil pressure, then put it together and try to start it. Make sure the fuel is fresh. and pull the fuel pump relay when you do that. Either it will go or it wont.

If it lights, get it up to operating temperature so any moisture in the motor can start to burn off. I'd change that oil again after 100 miles or so.

I am sure others have differing opinions, but this doesn't sound like a race car and you're probably just trying to see if it will get on the road again.

The new injectors won't care if the motor was sitting or not. You probably have a better shot starting it with the new injectors in place. Replace all the seals so you are sure there are no fuel leaks.

Good luck.

QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Sep 8 2023, 07:13 PM) *

I will be starting up the Pumpkin (70 , 1.7) It's been about 3 years since she was started.

Should I change oil first then start or start and run and then change oil when warm?

Should I drip a little Marvel mystery oil in cylinders before start up ( yes I know she will smoke like hell)?

I had extra injectors done by Mr. Injector, should I start up, change oil and then change injectors.

Keeping fingers crossed it goes with no hick ups. lol

Thanks

Renee

bkrantz
I would also vote for changing the oil and filter before start. And also crank the engine with the ignition or fuel disabled to circulate oil and build pressure before trying to fire it up. And speaking of fuel, try getting fuel pressure up and check for leaks before ignition.
emerygt350
All good advice. I would change the oil first and put in something like quaker state fs 40 weight. It's good, and it's cheap so when you contaminate it with a ll the moisture and scale in there you won't feel bad changing it in how many ever miles you are comfortable with. I wouldn't even go 100. I think I would do whatever it takes to get to temp, then change the oil and filter again. Obviously a cheap filter for that first round too. I mean you will be in 30 dollars if you get it at Walmart. Might as well play it safe.

I wouldn't run it with the current oil in it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.