Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help wiring headlights/parking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
Purchased and installing 914 rubber headlight /parking light harness.(markers deleted)
Admittedly poor technician especially electrical so need some help.
Most are clear cut but believe I have isolated problem.
On passenger side there are two wires (gray with red line) and ON drivers gray with black line)
Trying to figure if those should be together or separated….(meaning all 4)
Yesterday I did pass side…..had headlights and parking but no signals.
Today I did drivers side and have no headlights but have 4 way flashers. Also appears drivers side flasher is on parking light side of bulb and parking lt on turn signal/flasher part of filament as its very bright.
Obviously I have it wrong.
Appreciate any help.
TIA
Literati914
what year is your car?

sixaddict
74…converted to 6 if that matters
sixaddict
Bump
76-914
The grey/red is parking lamp (side lamp) on drivers side and the grey black is the parking lamp on the psg side. Not sure as to your question re: the brighter flash.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
tech tips 700 book has the wiring harness sequence for the lights spelled out so no guessing. We have seen too too many miswired exterior lights cause harness burnouts

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Sep 10 2023, 02:13 PM) *

Purchased and installing 914 rubber headlight /parking light harness.(markers deleted)
On passenger side there are two wires (gray with red line) and ON drivers gray with black line)
Today I did drivers side and have no headlights but have 4 way flashers. Also appears drivers side flasher is on parking light side of bulb and parking lt on turn signal/flasher part of filament as its very bright.
Appreciate any help.
TIA

sixaddict
That’s what I was using

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 11 2023, 07:26 AM) *

tech tips 700 book has the wiring harness sequence for the lights spelled out so no guessing. We have seen too too many miswired exterior lights cause harness burnouts

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Sep 10 2023, 02:13 PM) *

Appreciate any help.
TIA

sixaddict
Was afraid I wasn’t clear.
What I meant to say is turn signal is brighter than parking light. Meaning the parking light circuit is energizing the turn signal part the the bulb…..Right?

Georges book says gray/red is passenger side…..and drivers side gray/ black..

Could my book be wrong ….had it forever

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 11 2023, 06:42 AM) *

The grey/red is parking lamp (side lamp) on drivers side and the grey black is the parking lamp on the psg side. Not sure as to your question re: the brighter flash.

sixaddict
What I meant to say is turn signal is brighter than parking light. Meaning the parking light circuit is energizing the turn signal part the the bulb…..Right?

76-914
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Sep 11 2023, 01:00 PM) *

Your correct. I was doing this from memory which ain't what it used to be. I guess I got MY wires crossed. lol-2.gif I just put my light wiring back together on my '76 a few weeks ago and already forgot. headbang.gif
76-914
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Sep 11 2023, 01:01 PM) *

You probably have the 57 & BL terminals crossed. beerchug.gif
sixaddict
Will check
Thanks for hanging in there
sixaddict
76-914….you were right ….Read instructions but still crossed up connections.
So still a question .
Do turn signals and 4 way flashers work on same relay..
Flashers work but not turn signals.
Any suggestions?
Dave_Darling
There is only one flasher relay; it is used for all of the lights that blink.

The four-way hazards power the bulbs and relay a different way than the turn signals do. (For one thing, the ignition needs to be on for the turn signals to flash. If it's off, you get the non-flashing "parking light" feature instead.)

I don't remember the different paths without digging through the wiring diagram.

--DD
sixaddict
Thanks Dave.
Yep have ignition on…..but no turn signals…..either end.
Or brake lights for that matter.

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 17 2023, 11:46 PM) *

There is only one flasher relay; it is used for all of the lights that blink.

The four-way hazards power the bulbs and relay a different way than the turn signals do. (For one thing, the ignition needs to be on for the turn signals to flash. If it's off, you get the non-flashing "parking light" feature instead.)

I don't remember the different paths without digging through the wiring diagram.

--DD

campbellcj
FWIW I've got a weird turn signal issue that's kinda similar except that my brake lights and hazards work fine and blink in unison, including the front ones, but the turn signals do not work/blink in regular non-hazard mode. Even weirder, the 'park' function of the lights works too, just not the turn signals.

Someone told me it could be the actual switch (stalk) so I have a new one to try, which I'll get to ASAP now that other larger issues are sorted with my car.
76-914
You said your parking light circuit is working. Does that include the tail lamps too? Be sure that you have the correct lamps (1157 & 1056) in their respective locations. Check that the connections are secure beneath the steering column that connect to your turn signal & wiper stalk, if you haven't already.
sixaddict
Yes bulbs 1157/1156 as specified
Will try connections at steering column. Thanks again
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.