Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another question!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hndyhrr
I have to adjust thermostat wire in the morning but when I was have soooo much fun (sarcasm) rolling around under the pumpkin today I noticed that the wheel is wobblily as in i could spin it and it would move left to right.

Question is ..... I that thing suppose to be snug and not move at all?

Thanks you guys

Renee
dr914@autoatlanta.com
it should roll easily

QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Sep 10 2023, 06:44 PM) *

I have to adjust thermostat wire in the morning but when I was have soooo much fun (sarcasm) rolling around under the pumpkin today I noticed that the wheel is wobblily as in i could spin it and it would move left to right.

Thanks you guys

Renee

TRP
Im new here, so forgive my ignorance. Im not understanding the question. Assuming the car is in neutral, the wheel should roll (forwards and backwards) with minimal resistance. If you grab the edges of the tire, the rim shouldn't wiggle side to side or top to bottom.
Porschef
I think she’s referring to the thermostat pulley on the side of the engine
technicalninja
mine will spine freely but doesn't have a bunch of wobble.

The bolt that holds it on the case is special and has a dedicated shank for the baby pully.
hndyhrr
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 11 2023, 08:24 AM) *

it should roll easily

QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Sep 10 2023, 06:44 PM) *

Thanks you guys

Renee

Is there a seal that goes next to engine case for shoulder bolt that holds pulley on? In my reading if correct bolt is not used oil comes out.

Thanks
technicalninja
Just checked a 73 2.0 case I have apart.

The threaded hole that the shoulder bolt fits into goes completely through the case and is exposed to internal crankcase pressure.

Neither of the ones I've been into had any extra sealing washers or o-rings.

Maybe I'm missing parts but don't think I am.

I will install mine with a small amount of the "brown pukky", Aviation form a gasket (3H).
hndyhrr
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Sep 11 2023, 04:18 PM) *

Just checked a 73 2.0 case I have apart.

The threaded hole that the shoulder bolt fits into goes completely through the case and is exposed to internal crankcase pressure.

Neither of the ones I've been into had any extra sealing washers or o-rings.

Maybe I'm missing parts but don't think I am.

I will install mine with a small amount of the "brown pukky", Aviation form a gasket (3H).

Thank you
TheCabinetmaker
No seal. Just thread sealant on the bolt.
930cabman
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Sep 11 2023, 01:10 PM) *

The bolt that holds it on the case is special and has a dedicated shank for the baby pully.

As far as I recall it's a shoulder bolt, with sealant on the threads on assembly

Shouldn't wobble too much
TRP
QUOTE(Porschef @ Sep 11 2023, 10:52 AM) *

I think she’s referring to the thermostat pulley on the side of the engine

Oops! confused24.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 12 2023, 12:43 PM) *

As far as I recall it's a shoulder bolt, with sealant on the threads on assembly

they all wobble and @ 50yrs old they bind up due wear in the roller bush which isn't a good thing for your engine ,not a DIY unless you have a lathe to fit a new bush,I won't use real worn out ones as I have a few spares so pick the best,even a worn roller will benefit by the use of a larger diameter cable such as a Shimano MTB real cheap to buy and stainless.
Such an important part of our engines and often done away with as many can't be bothered proper setup. dry.gif .
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Lower pic shows fully expanded after test with heatgun these cables work great and engine on stand tested ,cheers.
hndyhrr
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 11 2023, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 12 2023, 12:43 PM) *

they all wobble and @ 50yrs old they bind up due wear in the roller bush which isn't a good thing for your engine ,not a DIY unless you have a lathe to fit a new bush,I won't use real worn out ones as I have a few spares so pick the best,even a worn roller will benefit by the use of a larger diameter cable such as a Shimano MTB real cheap to buy and stainless.
Such an important part of our engines and often done away with as many can't be bothered proper setup. dry.gif .
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Lower pic shows fully expanded after test with heatgun these cables work great and engine on stand tested ,cheers.

Have orederd a new pulley wheel and previously replaced with bike cable. When new pulley arrives will replace, hopefully PO used correct bolt. Wish me luck and thank you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.