Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prep 95 3.6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jgilliam914
After years of sitting on the shelf I am close to installing the 3.6 I purchased years ago.
Going over this thing there seems to be a lot of useless add ons for the more luxurious 993. Gone already is the power steering pump.
Questions are.
The air injection system?
All the vacuum lines associated with it.
There seems to be several in the heating system as well.
I have looked at tons of pics but can’t seem to find a thread that details each step prepping one for install.
sawzall-smiley.gif Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I am looking forward to watching this come together. popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
Jgilliam914
Me too! I bought it in January 1981. Put the GT kit on it in 1985 . In 2003 I broke the 1.9 and thought just to replace the engine. I bought a used and once I got started on it. It evolved into “ if I am going to do this? I want to do it like I always wanted. 12 years went by with virtually nothing done to it but accumulating all the parts.
Dr.Evil put the LSD in the 915 and that’s been sitting mated to it since 2019. I retired last December and have devoted more time to it.
I finally sorted out my 951 and been driving that to cars and coffee’s as “fun” as it sounds it’s still not a 914.Click to view attachment
Steve
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Sep 11 2023, 06:02 AM) *

After years of sitting on the shelf I am close to installing the 3.6 I purchased years ago.
Going over this thing there seems to be a lot of useless add ons for the more luxurious 993. Gone already is the power steering pump.
Questions are.
The air injection system?
All the vacuum lines associated with it.
There seems to be several in the heating system as well.
I have looked at tons of pics but can’t seem to find a thread that details each step prepping one for install.
sawzall-smiley.gif Click to view attachment

Patrick Motorsports sells all the conversion parts.
-Single belt pulley
-Cam block offs to dump power steering pump
-Air injection plugs so you can dump the smog pump and associated lines
-915 or 901 adapter flywheel/clutch
-Air Cleaner
Here's a link to the air injection plugs. https://patrickmotorsports.com/collections/...94ee8&_ss=r
PMS has done more 914 3.6 conversions than anyone.

ClayPerrine
Where do I start....

You have to make custom engine tin for the front of the engine. The 914-6 tin doesn't fit the tapered timing boxes on a 964/993 engine.

You have to fabricate a blockoff for the oil cooler location in the 914-6 tin. 993 engine does not have an engine mounted oil cooler. Or you can backdate the 993 engine to mount an cooler. There is a pelican thread on it: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...here-s-how.html

Your MAF sensor won't clear the back wall of the engine compartment. I solved this by separating the upper and lower halves of the center intake plenum, and rotating the throttle body downward to clear the back wall of the engine compartment. Then I put an extension between the throttle body and the air meter. This put it around the corner and on the left side of the engine next to the relay board.

Depending on the motor mount you have, it may require some adjustments to get the transmission mounts to fit. The pulley size on a 993 engine is much bigger than the 911 pulley, so the engine mount pushes the engine back farther. I put a Clewett serpentine belt setup on my engine, so I was able to cut down the mount to be the same size as the earlier mount.

The fuel pump plumbing on the 993 motor comes in on the (914) left side and goes out on the right. The 914 has both fuel lines on the right. I simplified this by rebuilding the lines engine fuel lines with both coming out on the right side.

The coils will have to be mounted somewhere. I recommend mounting them to the battery tray where the D-Jet ECU was mounted. That will mean longer coil wires.

I would suggest ditching the 914-6 style throttle linkage and bringing the cable up the front of the motor and back to the throttle body. It simplifies all of the throttle linkage connections.

You can look at my build thread for any info I didn't outline here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=279084

And I am always happy to help.
Jgilliam914
Thanks Clay and Steve
I’ve got the single pulley
Cam block offs
The 915 flywheel and clutch is installed
Got the Air Cleaner all from Patrick Motorsports
PMS is slow in responding to emails.

I bought the 993 to 914 harness as well.
I eliminated the relay board.

The twin coils are mounted to the engine ala PMS

The throttle and 915 Clutch linkage are also PMS
ClayPerrine
What are you doing for oil cooling? There is none on the engine. Do you have a plan for a remote cooler or two?

Jgilliam914
I have a front engine cooler like the factory GT.
I am a lot further along than just starting.
So you left all the plumbing intact on your conversion?
Steve
Also check out Sir Andy's Thread. It is pretty detailed including the tin mods. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=44700
I also have a 95 3.6 motor I will be installing over the winter. It has a steve wong chip, RS cams and top end overhaul.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 11 2023, 07:02 AM) *

The coils will have to be mounted somewhere. I recommend mounting them to the battery tray where the D-Jet ECU was mounted. That will mean longer coil wires.

I left the coils in the stock location, but if i recall correctly, i had to flip them upside down on the mount to make it work.
idea.gif
Jgilliam914
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 11 2023, 10:04 AM) *

Also check out Sir Andy's Thread. It is pretty detailed including the tin mods. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=44700
I also have a 95 3.6 motor I will be installing over the winter. It has a steve wong chip, RS cams and top end overhaul.

I’ve looked over Andy’s and for as much information is there it is lacking my issues.
I bought 37k mile 3.6 from LA Dismantlers before the prices went insane.
I feel there is no need to crack it open and go crazy until I need to.
The Steve Wong chip will be added not much longer after I get it on the road
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Sep 11 2023, 09:34 AM) *

I have a front engine cooler like the factory GT.
I am a lot further along than just starting.
So you left all the plumbing intact on your conversion?

I had a 2.4L six in my conversion before I had the big 4.0L six. So most of the hard work in getting the conversion done was already there. I didn't have a front oil cooler, and I don't want one, so I had to come up with an alternative solution. If you look in my thread, you will see the dual 964 coolers in the back.

What are you doing for headers/heat/exhaust?

Jgilliam914
I bought headers from Martin Schneider and the stainless muffler from Ben McFarland.
I may regret not buying heat exchangers one day
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Sep 11 2023, 09:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 11 2023, 10:04 AM) *

I’ve looked over Andy’s and for as much information is there it is lacking my issues.

As someone already pointed out above, i also used the PMS conversion kit, which had all the blockoffs etc. plus a conversion harness to adapt the engine to the 914 harness. Came with instructions too.
bye1.gif
Steve
If you still have the 993 heat exchangers, mb911 can modify them for a six. I still have mine plus the 1 5/8ths heat exchangers Ben made awhile back. They produce awesome heat with my current 3.2 and I will also use them with my 3.6.
Jgilliam914
Installed are ready for the next steps forward.
Took about a hour solo. beer.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
pcar916
Great build! I just started putting my 914-6/993 back into action after years of warehouse time as a Cayman S and a GT4 absorbed all of my mod and track energy.
So as I'm looking over threads to see what's been going on yours caught my attention.

I've just this week started to catch up so one thought on the coil placement is where I located mine. The coil mounting plate is attached by the shoulder harness retaining bolts.

The original coil wires are used because... I'm frugal.

Click to view attachment
Shivers
Such a cool build. Congratulations on your retirement, and the 3.6
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.