Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Injector Elbows are they Ethanol Rated?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alden
Are the fuel injector elbows that are available from the usual suppliers ethanol rated?
These elbows have the same NBR/CR (Nitrile Butadiene Rubber lined) & (Chloroprene Rubber outer) as my Cohline 2134 fuel line that failed at my tank connection.
Click to view attachment
I'm replacing all Cohline 2134 fuel lines with Cohline 2240 (FPM lined).
2240 has a 60 mm minimum bend radius so I can't make my own elbows from 2240.
Are there any other elbows on the market?
https://cohpro.com/cohline-fuel-hose/
Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
No.

Use fuel line with an SAE 30r9 rating for ethanol. Go to your FLAPS and ask to cut some off the spool that they almost certainly have in the back. If they let you cut from the bottom of the spool they will have more then enough natural bend for the application without kinking. These days I refuse to use ANY fuel line that does not have the proper SAE rating printed on the hose. Also, use proper fuel injection clamps - not the cheap-o worm gear clamps.

Zach
Alden
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 11 2023, 01:47 PM) *

No.

Use fuel line with an SAE rating for ethanol. Go to your FLAPS and ask to cut some off the spool that they almost certainly have in the back. If they let you cut from the bottom of the spool they will have more then enough natural bend for the application without kinking. These days I refuse to use ANY fuel line that does not have the proper SAE rating printed on the hose.

Zach

The plan is to use Cohline because Gates Barricade MPI 225psi Fuel Hose is fractional size and very stiff. I'm still running D-Jet on a 2.0L, fuel pump and filter moved to steering rack. What fuel line do you use?
914Sixer
Got these from Pelican a while back. Here is current listing
rjames
Despite what I've read, I've forgone the elbow lines and have used straight fuel lines off of the injectors. It makes for tighter spaces, but it is possible to do without kinking the line/compromising flow.
Alden
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 11 2023, 02:06 PM) *

Got these from Pelican a while back. Here is current listing

I called Pelican Parts today about those fuel injector line elbows and they could not verify if they are ethanol safe. The image of 914 FUEL INJECTOR LINE ELBOW in the original post is from the autoatlanta.com site with the NBR/CR printed on the hose. That is the same stamping that is on the Cohline 2134 fuel line hose that failed on me. I'm changing all fuel lines to Cohline 2240 FPM lined (FPM/FKM/Viton are all fluoro-elastomer materials).
I'm told that this is the fuel line that IS ethanol safe.
Alden
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 11 2023, 02:40 PM) *

Despite what I've read, I've forgone the elbow lines and have used straight fuel lines off of the injectors. It makes for tighter spaces, but it is possible to do without kinking the line/compromising flow.

I'll try to make elbows with Cohline 2240 and these:
Click to view attachment
rjames
QUOTE(Alden @ Sep 11 2023, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 11 2023, 02:40 PM) *

I'll try to make elbows with Cohline 2240 and these:
Click to view attachment

Please report back. I'll use those if they work. Even if someone does sell ethanol safe elbows, they are always expensive compared to the straight hose.
TheCabinetmaker
I've used heat a bent piece of tubing to bend rubber hose. Gotta be creative, and ingenuitive!
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Alden @ Sep 11 2023, 01:59 PM) *

The plan is to use Cohline because Gates Barricade MPI 225psi Fuel Hose is fractional size and very stiff. I'm still running D-Jet on a 2.0L, fuel pump and filter moved to steering rack. What fuel line do you use?

I am using SAE 30r9 fuel hose. The SAE rating is important because you KNOW what its rated for chemically and for pressure. Its a relatively soft hose and I have had no issues with leaks on any of my aircooled german cars. I'm in the process of buying a Mk1 Rabbit pickup, and I intend to use the same fuel line on it. My FLAPS usually has a huge spool of the stuff in the back.

My current engine does not use the stock fuel runners, but my 2056 did. I did not use special elbows, I just used small cuts to attach the runners to the injectors. Never had an issue with kinking, but you do have to be a little mindful when dropping or installing the engine.

Use the good hose clamps - not the cut worm gear clamps. Real fuel injection clamps make all the difference.

Zach
Amphicar770
I do not recall which brand elbow I used. One thing I did do is that instead of hose clamps I took them to local hydraulic line shop and the crimp connected them just like the factory.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.