Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail Panel Vinyl - bottom edge?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
(I've read Eric Shea's article about sail panel vinyl install.)

Does anyone have a picture of the bottom edge of the sail panel vinyl, trimmed in place before the bottom chrome strip is installed?

thanks! beer.gif
worn
QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 11 2023, 04:26 PM) *

Does anyone have a picture of the bottom edge of the sail panel vinyl, trimmed in place before the bottom chrome strip is installed?

thanks! beer.gif

popcorn[1].gif I wanna see that too.
76-914
QUOTE(worn @ Sep 11 2023, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 11 2023, 04:26 PM) *

thanks! beer.gif

popcorn[1].gif I wanna see that too.

I may have the OEM piece I removed. I saved them to use as a pattern. I'll look tomorrow. IIRC, it ends 1/2 way between the holes that the clips protrude thru.
Rusty
Thank you, @markhoward .

From looking at your pictures, it would appear that the vinyl extends below the chrome strip near the doorjam. Is that pre-trimming?
markhoward
QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 11 2023, 04:55 PM) *

Thank you, @markhoward .

From looking at your pictures, it would appear that the vinyl extends below the chrome strip near the doorjam. Is that pre-trimming?

You could be right about that. I can’t remember exactly but it seems that the material would hang below the trim given that the hole is all the way on the vinyl portion rather than half way through. When doing this, I asked @buddyv since he has done this a few times. His advice was to make sure the rearmost corners have adequate material and that that section should be located correctly first and everything else secondary.
mepstein
QUOTE(markhoward @ Sep 11 2023, 08:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 11 2023, 04:55 PM) *

Thank you, @markhoward .

You could be right about that. I can’t remember exactly but it seems that the material would hang below the trim given that the hole is all the way on the vinyl portion rather than half way through. When doing this, I asked @buddyv since he has done this a few times. His advice was to make sure the rearmost corners have adequate material and that that section should be located correctly first and everything else secondary.

You can also fit the trim then add a strip of painters tape right at the bottom of the trim to act as a guide for the vinyl.
BuddyV
.... do it like Mark ( @markhoward )

.... he even used the correct vinyl (I use whatever Joann's Fabrics has in stock)

beerchug.gif
Rusty
Thanks to all who replied.

Unlike other jobs, I was concerned about the limited time to get the vinyl in place and trimmed properly.

It wasn't as bad as I thought. I kept the bottom edge of the vinyl just above the bottom of the sail panel holes.

I bought new OEM lower molding from 914rubber and was surprised that the molding clips aren't included from Porsche. Glad I didn't toss the old ones.
Gint
Hey Rusty!

I need to do that on mine as well. The current vinyl has curled up above the chrome trim. Thanks for posting. I had the same concerns.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.