Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Foggy gauge lenses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StarBear
Console gauges get foggy in humidity, especially cool humidity. Any solution other than sending to CA? Original glass lenses. Don’t have bezel tool. sad.gif
Click to view attachment
Rusty
I've been told condensation is a symptom of residue on the inside of the glass.

Reach out to Bill. I bet he can make your gauges sparkle and refresh your needles.

Trust me. Quality work at a fraction of the insane big shop prices.
87m491
"Bill"? Do tell us more.

QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 12 2023, 04:33 AM) *

Reach out to Bill. I bet he can make your gauges sparkle and refresh your needles.

Superhawk996
Gauges are not sealed. A gauge rebuild isn’t going to prevent future condensation when temperatures and relative humidity encourage it.

Smoking was very common in the 70s and leaves behind a smoke film. Likewise repeated condensation and off-gassing from vinyl and plastics will leave a film.

I have seen gauges with extreme cloudy film inside the glass that can only be cleaned by disassembling the gauge. Your pictures seem to look more like this to me than simple condensation.
StarBear
QUOTE(87m491 @ Sep 12 2023, 08:46 AM) *

"Bill"? Do tell us more.

QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 12 2023, 04:33 AM) *

agree.gif
Rusty
Paging @jbell959 to the Aubergine courtesy phone...
StarBear
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 12 2023, 09:01 AM) *

Gauges are not sealed. A gauge rebuild isn’t going to prevent future condensation when temperatures and relative humidity encourage it.

Smoking was very common in the 70s and leaves behind a smoke film. Likewise repeated condensation and off-gassing from vinyl and plastics will leave a film.

I have seen gauges with extreme cloudy film inside the glass that can only be cleaned by disassembling the gauge. Your pictures seem to look more like this to me than simple condensation.

When not humid a bit of haze on the inside of the temp gauge that could use cleaning anyway. Really showed up this morning. Garage kept, of course!
bkrantz
I cleaned my own. The crud on the inside of the glass was obvious, and worse with even a bit of condensation. It was too obvious to live with after I had the speedo apart (and cleaned that) and added a new oil pressure gauge to the console.

The ghetto method of removing and reinstalling the bezels is crude, but not visible from the front.
StarBear
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Sep 12 2023, 09:01 PM) *

I cleaned my own. The crud on the inside of the glass was obvious, and worse with even a bit of condensation. It was too obvious to live with after I had the speedo apart (and cleaned that) and added a new oil pressure gauge to the console.

The ghetto method of removing and reinstalling the bezels is crude, but not visible from the front.

That would be helpful, @bkrantz . Any info or link on the ghetto method ?
FlacaProductions
I believe @bkrantz is referring to the method of putting the gauge face down on a towel or soft surface and using a small flat blade screwdriver to work your way around the back of the bezel, twisting the blade to uncrimp it.

Go slow until you get the feel - try a couple of different blades. Eventually, you'll be able to work the bezel off, remove the glass and give it a good clean.

I use compressed air and wear rubber gloves when handling the glass.

Pop the cleaned glass back in the bezel and work it back onto the face of the gauge. Place it face down on a cushioned surface and work your way around, putting the crimp back on. I like a fairly wide flat blade for this but you'll see what works.
StarBear
Thanks! Will give it a try - slowly and carefully.
iankarr
You can see the process here…
https://youtu.be/r3xJxEiIlIQ?si=nwg4X21VXHyLqfRD
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 12 2023, 07:27 AM) *

Paging @jbell959 to the Aubergine courtesy phone...

That's John Bell (not Bill), as I recall.

He did a combo gauge for me. He and his son do amazing gauge work for very reasonable prices. Super easy to work with.
StarBear
QUOTE(iankarr @ Sep 13 2023, 03:31 PM) *

Thanks!
Hope to hear from John bell, too, just in case.
StarBear
QUOTE(iankarr @ Sep 13 2023, 03:31 PM) *

I think even I can do that, Ian. Great video, as usual!
bkrantz
QUOTE(StarBear @ Sep 13 2023, 08:17 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Sep 12 2023, 09:01 PM) *

That would be helpful, @bkrantz . Any info or link on the ghetto method ?

Here's a photo from when I did my tach. I tried to be patient and slow, and VERY gradually pry up the edge of the retaining ring. After cleaning the glass, I crimped the edge back the same way.
bkrantz
After installation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.