Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOLD- '87 3.2 Carrera Motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Cairo94507
Hello Everyone,

I could not resist the complete '95 3.6 motor Chris ( @tygaboy ) was selling a few months ago so it is in my garage. At this point, I have probably 99% of the parts I need to make the swap and we plan to begin work mid to late October. Of course I will start a swap thread when work begins. Consequently...

SOLD– 1987 3.2 Carrera engine with Motronic injection. 9K miles on a full rebuild by Bruce Abbott (flat6pac) on the Pelican site. Bruce has been building Porsche engines for over 3 decades and is well known and respected. I have all the receipts and photos of the actual build process. The only changes from stock specifications are 964 cams and a Steve Wong custom chip. This engine has run great since the day it was first started in 2018. We just did a valve adjustment about 600 miles ago. Oil/filter changed every 3K miles with Driven HR1 15W50 conventional oil and was last changed with valve adjustment. As most of you know, this car/engine has never been raced or tracked.

We plan to remove this engine toward the end of October. If you want to come hear it run, please feel free to reach out to me. I am posting some engine pictures here. Interested parties can contact me for copies of receipts and build pictures. I am asking $30K. It will be your responsibility to arrange shipping and pay any fees.

Thanks for looking-
Michael beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
burton73
Michael, All I can say is wow, wow, wow

GLWS. --- Best Bob B
driving-girl.gif first.gif
mepstein
I met Bruce about 10 years ago and have stayed in touch through the years. A wealth of Porsche knowledge and history. I’m sure the engine is a gem.
ndfrigi
wow sir Michael! Still want a 3.6 engine? even if 3.2 is already big enough for a light 914 with narrow body and standard tire width. For sure buyer of your solid 3.2 engine will be so happy!

Hope it will not take long for the swap engine! Since you are already enjoying your beautiful 914-6 after waiting for so long.
Cairo94507
@ndfrigi - Right? I know; but I could not resist the 3.6 Chris had. I am hopeful it will be running shortly after the new year. I got nothing but time so it will not be a rush.

I appreciate the nice comments @mepstein and @burton73 . beerchug.gif

I agree re Bruce Abbott; he is a wealth of knowledge and expertise when it comes to these engines. He built the engine to the level my car is built so I would never have issues. Then, wouldn't you know it... a 3.6 pops up locally. piratenanner.gif
Bucci
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 12 2023, 02:05 PM) *

@ndfrigi - Right? I know; but I could not resist the 3.6 Chris had. I am hopeful it will be running shortly after the new year. I got nothing but time so it will not be a rush.

I agree re Bruce Abbott; he is a wealth of knowledge and expertise when it comes to these engines. He built the engine to the level my car is built so I would never have issues. Then, wouldn't you know it... a 3.6 pops up locally. piratenanner.gif

@Cairo94507

Beautiful car Michael and excellent flapper box/airbox installation, looks very Sano..!

Don’t you have to turn around the 3.6 injection to make it fit 914 configurations and then remove the engine rain tray for the injection height clearance.?

It would be nice to upgrade to early 930 caliper brakes on the front and do a spacer on the rear 914-6 calipers that way you can run a vented rotor. You probably would have to upgrade your wheels. Oh ya, and a limited slip diff transmission. I would definitely change the gears. As you already know, one thing leads to another. Lol..!

Click to view attachment

Marc
Krieger
Power corrupts! aktion035.gif
Cairo94507
@Bucci

Thanks for the thoughts. My car is an original 6, so no rain tray to deal with. I already did my brakes when we restored the car. 23mm master cylinder, 88 Carrera front calipers with 24mm drilled and vented rotors, 914-6 GT rear calipers with drilled and vented rotors and no proportioning valve. Car stops on a dime with the 3.2 in it.

I do not track the car or race it and do not have a LSD in it. If I ever came across a good one, I might be tempted, just because.

I have deep sixes on my car and they clear everything.

My car is pretty much ready to accept the 3.6 once I modify my "GT" oil cooler opening to accept the new (bigger) oil cooler I bought along with the 2 Spal fans.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I want to do it once and do it right.

Cheers,
Michael beerchug.gif
Steve
QUOTE(Bucci @ Sep 12 2023, 05:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 12 2023, 02:05 PM) *

@Cairo94507

Beautiful car Michael and excellent flapper box/airbox installation, looks very Sano..!

Don’t you have to turn around the 3.6 injection to make it fit 914 configurations and then remove the engine rain tray for the injection height clearance.?

It would be nice to upgrade to early 930 caliper brakes on the front and do a spacer on the rear 914-6 calipers that way you can run a vented rotor. You probably would have to upgrade your wheels. Oh ya, and a limited slip diff transmission. I would definitely change the gears. As you already know, one thing leads to another. Lol..!

Marc

You don't have to flip the intake. You cut the rib between the tubes and then you can rotate it a bit to clear the trunk.
GLWS Great deal considering it needs nothing like the 3.6 you purchased.
Cairo94507
Thanks @Steve . I am sure we will be talking soon.
Cheers,
Michael beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
I just did a cold start video yesterday after my car has sat since 8/26. She started right up as expected. I want to post it but need to figure out how to post a video... technically challenged.
Freezin 914
If I had the money, this would have been sold the first day Micheal posted it. Used motors are 10-25k with little history and unknown specs, builders etc. a quality rebuild starts at 20k and goes up from there. This one is a documented low mileage turn key engine. When built and maintained properly, can easily go 300k miles!
I know this engine isn’t “cheap” but IMHO this is a great deal on a very desirable engine with known and respected builder, specs, not to mention the owner is well respected in this community. Just my .02
Someone please buy this and build a hot rod for us all to admire and be jealous of!

(My plan would be to swap my SC motor into my 914 and put the 3.2 in my 911)

GLWTS
icon_bump.gif
Cairo94507
Freeezin 914 - Thank you for the kind words. beerchug.gif

I believe this is a good price for a great motor; but, still a bundle of money. The number of 914 owners willing to make that committment are in the minority. A lot of people believe they can build cheaper than they actually can. The reality is all of the parts and machine work add up quickly when done correctly.

Mark Epstein and you hit the nail on the head. Buy this motor and drop it into your car. Instead of the car being down a year, maybe more, it would be down less than a week and running with a fresh 3.2. Then sell your rebuildable motor for $10K-$15K to someone who just wants to build their own motor. confused24.gif
Cairo94507
BTTT
Rufus
@Cairo94507 GLWTS Michael!

Regarding a 3.6l 914/6 build: you might wanna consider including a light weight flywheel in the build. Assuming gearing isn’t too tall, the 3.6l’s abundance of torque in a 914 will make starting from a dead stop a snap. Plus a low inertia flywheel will sharpen engine response as well as improve acceleration.

Please keep us updated
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Rufus @ Nov 18 2023, 08:00 PM) *

<b>@Cairo94507 </b> GLWTS Michael!

Regarding a 3.6l 914/6 build: you might wanna consider including a light weight flywheel in the build. Assuming gearing isn’t too tall, the 3.6l’s abundance of torque in a 914 will make starting from a dead stop a snap. Plus a low inertia flywheel will sharpen engine response as well as improve acceleration.

Please keep us updated

I'd disagree. Reason being the 914 is too light for the motor. The gas pedal would be sensitive. Same issue with high compression V8s. Think EV with regen.

I'm surprised the motor hasn't sold yet.
mepstein
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Oct 27 2023, 07:15 AM) *

If I had the money, this would have been sold the first day Micheal posted it. Used motors are 10-25k with little history and unknown specs, builders etc. a quality rebuild starts at 20k and goes up from there. This one is a documented low mileage turn key engine. When built and maintained properly, can easily go 300k miles!
I know this engine isn’t “cheap” but IMHO this is a great deal on a very desirable engine with known and respected builder, specs, not to mention the owner is well respected in this community. Just my .02
Someone please buy this and build a hot rod for us all to admire and be jealous of!

(My plan would be to swap my SC motor into my 914 and put the 3.2 in my 911)

GLWTS
icon_bump.gif

I am hearing $20k just for labor from some shops. $15-20 for parts (Mahle p&c’s are $5k).
Rufus
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 18 2023, 11:36 PM) *

Please keep us updated

I'd disagree. Reason being the 914 is too light for the motor. The gas pedal would be sensitive. Same issue with high compression V8s. Think EV with regen.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion.

Mine’s based on the ERA 427 Cobra I built with 550 hp / 550 lb-ft that weighed 2600lbs, and a light weight flywheel, clutch & pressure plate. Throttle response was great; not too sensitive or difficult to modulate. When I posed the question here whether a light flywheel would be appropriate for my 2.7L RS powered 914/6, I was told by owners of 914’s with similar drivetrains it’s a good fit.
Cairo94507
@rufus - I bought the Patrick Motor Sports flywheel for the 3.6 with the starter ring from Kennedy Engineering; my understanding is it is a little bit lighter than a stock 3.6 flywheel. But I do not know the weight of a stock flywheel to compare the two.

I was also concerned about a lightweight flywheel being so light when coming off the throttle the engine might struggle to sit at idle. beerchug.gif

My car is a cruiser and does not get tracked or auto X'd. It will see some spirited driving on occasion, but typically I am within the legal limits of the law on public roads. So I am not chasing maximum HP. I believe with the power steering and AC removed from the 3.6, as well as my SS heat exchangers/exhaust, this engine should be close to 300 HP; more than I will ever need. beerchug.gif
mb911
Tempting though I Don’t have cash in hand this would be awesome. Maybe time to sell my engine to find this.
Steve
QUOTE(Rufus @ Nov 19 2023, 07:35 AM) *

Please keep us updated

Mine’s based on the ERA 427 Cobra I built with 550 hp / 550 lb-ft that weighed 2600lbs, and a light weight flywheel, clutch & pressure plate. Throttle response was great; not too sensitive or difficult to modulate. When I posed the question here whether a light flywheel would be appropriate for my 2.7L RS powered 914/6, I was told by owners of 914’s with similar drivetrains it’s a good fit.

With this much hp, first is worthless and you start off in second. Using second its easy to modulate the hp. I rode in Sir Andy's car with a 3.6, it was very controllable starting out in second. I am also pushing close to 400 hp with my SBC 914. Starting off in second is very controllable. I can lay rubber down the street in second without it fish tailing. The biggest issue with the 3.6 is the light flywheel can cause the engine to die if you let off the gas at a semi high rpm. Steve Wong's chip for the 3.6 has a fix for this in his chip.
Cairo94507
I was hoping to have my 3.2 out of the car by now but have had a bad cold for a while and it has kept me from doing almost anything. I am hoping to get this 3.2 out before Christmas. beerchug.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Rufus @ Nov 19 2023, 07:35 AM) *

Please keep us updated

Drivers bias. Go for a spin as a passenger...

I found it to be a pain in the neck aktion035.gif
Cairo94507
Christmas is coming...doesn't your 914 need a nice 3.2 motor? beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
BTTT
Cairo94507
Yup- still available. Jesus, I gotta get this 3.2 out of my car soon. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Seriously hoping my 3.2 will be out in 2 weeks.... I got RSV and it knocked me for a loop, then I got better and then... I got RSV again! WTF?? Anyway, seem to be over that mess now and my wife says I can play in the garage starting the 27th.... we shall see. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
My 3.2 is sold. Now I guess I really have to get her out of the car. The most excellent news is it is going into another 914! Yay. beerchug.gif
Freezin 914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 6 2024, 04:44 PM) *

My 3.2 is sold. Now I guess I really have to get her out of the car. The most excellent news is it is going into another 914! Yay. beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif Congratulations! Can’t wait to see the next chapter of your beautiful car!
burton73
Way to go buddy, he is getting a very special Eng,

Best Bob B cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
Cairo94507
Thanks guys. It is a great motor and has always run great. I am really glad it is going into another 914. I will photo everything before we disconnect it from my car and label everything so it should be a pretty straight forward install for the new owner. beerchug.gif
mepstein
Win win for buyer and seller.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.