Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Engine Pulled Please Comment on Pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jay993
Ok Guys! My car has been sitting for the better part of about 30 years. I pulled the engine to adjust the valves, inspect the clutch and learn more about the car. Please tell me what is right, wrong and what should be changed/upgraded.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment

Admin Edit: Fixed picture orientation. Clay
enf2232
It's upside down. smile.gif
Jay993
Well, I was only able to add 1 pic and I don't know how to turn it right side up. Some suggestions for that would be great too!
Craigers17
Please disregard my post.

930cabman
QUOTE(Jay993 @ Sep 12 2023, 03:14 PM) *

Ok Guys! My car has been sitting for the better part of about 30 years. I pulled the engine to adjust the valves, inspect the clutch and learn more about the car. Please tell me what is right, wrong and what should be changed/upgraded.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment

Admin Edit: Fixed picture orientation. Clay

Can you add more pics for us to have a good look?
Geezer914
How many miles? Rebuilding a Porsche motor, you may need a second mortgage!
ClayPerrine
I fixed the picture for you....

You said it has been sitting a while, so here is a list of things to do.

Start by stripping off all the outside stuff. Get it down to a long block. Then clean out all the crap on the top of the motor.
New ground strap for the alternator.

Clean and repaint the engine tin.

Replace all the seals and gaskets. Don't miss the ones that seal the oil cooler to the case.

Adjust the valves.

Clean out the sump plate and reseal it.

Replace the oil lines.

New clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, Pilot bearing and felt washer. Also resurface the flywheel.

Put a new seal on the transmission input shaft.

New CV joint gaskets and schnorr washers. Torque the CV bolts correctly.

New ground strap on transmission to body.

New exhaust gaskets between heads and heat exchangers.

Turbo lower valve covers, if not already present. Trim valve covers as required for in car removal.

New motor mount and transmission mounts.

New intake manifold gaskets. New carburetor base gaskets.

Rebuild carburetors. Re-jet for ethanol fuel.

Replace rubber lines with ethanol compatible lines.

Install stainless steel fuel lines in tunnel.

Replace rubber lines under fuel tank with ethanol compatible lines.

New fuel filter.

Possibly new fuel pump if the current one doesn't leak.

New points, distributor cap and rotor, plug wires, and spark plugs.

Hope that helps.
technicalninja
Replace all seals.
Pull tin, clean, fix, paint. remove mouse nests from inside engine tins.
Clutch disc looks shot to me. Clutch PP, disc, TOB Pilot Rear main seal.
Might want to check timing chain play.
inspect/replace motor + trans mounts.
Replace alternator belt.
I'd pull alternator and have it tested/rebuilt. Alternator shops still exist. Might be cheap.
I'd clean the crap out of everything. Engine and engine bay.
new body to engine tin seals.
Output seals on trans.
Rebuild CV axles.
Look at all the cables, replace any that need it.
Rebuild carburetors.
rebuild fuel system, replace tank.

Do same type of crap to the brakes and suspension.

You did say this has been dormant for 30 years, right?

This is a full resurrection. I'm doing the same thing to a 75 1.8l with 31K.
If I was doing this for a customer, the estimate would be over 10K...
Jay993
Thanks guys, Chris @ Mayo Performance did the carbs. New fuel pump thanks to Bob, clutch looks new, just rusted a little from sitting. Appears to have copper fuel lines compliments of Home Depot or something like that. I've got the trans shifter coupler thanks to Auto Atlanta.
fixer34
Anyone know what the relay above the oil cooler is for?
saladin
I had a similar relay installed on my 1974 2.0L before starting my six conversion. The previous owner happen to pass along several instruction documents which included the below Automotion 914 Starter Booster Fix installation sheet.

Click to view attachment

Ken
rgalla9146
Looks surprisingly original.
Still has correct steel fuel plumbing to carbs, dashpot for cold start, Marelli dizzy and drip tube
for air filter residue.
Does it still have the original flywheel ? OE flywheels are marked for timing and
valve adjustment. Most are replaced by now. If you have it do your best to keep it.
More pics of the car please !
Root_Werks
This will be fun to watch this get cleaned up!

popcorn[1].gif

As others have said, pretty neat to see so many original items on the motor.
Jay993
Hey Guys! So appear to be out of space to upload more pics. Having said that, what else would yawl like to see? I'm thinking I can upload them elsewhere and then post a link
fixer34
If you are taking pictures with a phone, they come out huge and only allow 1 or 2 in a post. Download a photo editor program (personally I like Irfanview) which will shrink the size. All I do is open the picture file and turn right around and save it again, Size drops a lot and I can post 5 or 6 pictures before running out of posting space.
rgalla9146

Original oil hose and hanger grommit too !
burton73
Just a thought Jay,

You guys could buy Michaels 1987 3.2 Carrera engine with Motronic injection. 9K miles on a full rebuild by Bruce Abbott (flat6pac) and do a little to use it in your original 6 car and put your engine on the shelf for someone you guys sell your car to later on down the road or not?

Best Bob B Burton

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=367139

Hello Everyone,

I could not resist the '95 3.6 Chris ( @tygaboy ) was selling a few months ago so it is in my garage. At this point, I have probably 99% of the parts I need to make the swap and we plan to begin work mid to late October. Of course I will start a swap thread when work begins. Consequently...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

For Sale – 1987 3.2 Carrera engine with Motronic injection. 9K miles on a full rebuild by Bruce Abbott (flat6pac) on the Pelican site. Bruce has been building Porsche engines for over 3 decades and is well known and respected. I have all the receipts and photos of the actual build process. The only changes from stock specifications are 964 cams and a Steve Wong custom chip. This engine has run great since the day it was first started in 2018. We just did a valve adjustment about 600 miles ago. Oil/filter changed every 3K miles with Driven HR1 15W50 conventional oil and was last changed with valve adjustment. As most of you know, this car/engine has never been raced or tracked.

I plan to remove this engine toward the end of October. If you want to come hear it run, please feel free to reach out to me. I am posting some engine pictures here. Interested parties can contact me for copies of receipts and build pictures. I am asking $30K. It will be your responsibility to arrange shipping and pay any fees.

Thanks for looking-
Michael

bkrantz
Before going too far, you might want to do a leak-down test. This will give you a basic assessment of rings and valves.
Jay993
Great idea Bob! Maybe I’ll get that 3.2 and throw it in my 87 carrera. Looks like fun, plus I can shelf my original motor and keep it NUMBERS MATCHING for the next guy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.