Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Self fixing stuff.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nivekdodge
So the gas gauge has been a sticking point. Because it's kind of important. (was going to ask if anyone had a good stick layout), i have been going back to it double checking everything. Yes, the fireman's pole had rust and it was stuck at the bottom. Yes the ohm reading were correct and i cleaned the tiny wires. at first I had nothing, then the gauge was pegged constantly. I went to take someone for a ride last night and it seems to be working. Viola!!! but it does go all over the place when you move the car. Is that normal?

I'm hoping more things start to fix themselves. Maybe leave milk and cookies out? Beer and a sandwich?

Kevin
emerygt350
Moving gently or madly rocking? It will sweep around as you corner and the gas moves. It really is a very simple device so if you got good readings the sender should be fine. Have you checked the connections to the gauge?
Literati914
Start by making sure the grounds are clean (there's a bundle of them on the L side of the fuse panel under the dash) - not attached to it, but the chassis bracket that it's mounted to.

SirAndy
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Sep 13 2023, 02:16 PM) *
Is that normal?

No
fixer34
If you find the secret, I'm sure a lot of us would like to know..

As for the gas sender, if nothing else, make sure the low fuel light works. Then no matter what the gauge says, when the light comes on, head for the gas station.
nivekdodge
It was bouncing from 1/4 (correct reading) up to about 3/4. I put 6 gals in and it's not bouncing now.

Kevin
emerygt350
That is not right. Sounds like resistance is unpredictable across the length of the wire. If you had rust on parts there is probably other bits of corrosion around. I think that might be easier to deal with. Do you have access to a sonicator?
930cabman
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Sep 13 2023, 03:16 PM) *

So the gas gauge has been a sticking point. Because it's kind of important. (was going to ask if anyone had a good stick layout), i have been going back to it double checking everything. Yes, the fireman's pole had rust and it was stuck at the bottom. Yes the ohm reading were correct and i cleaned the tiny wires. at first I had nothing, then the gauge was pegged constantly. I went to take someone for a ride last night and it seems to be working. Viola!!! but it does go all over the place when you move the car. Is that normal?

I'm hoping more things start to fix themselves. Maybe leave milk and cookies out? Beer and a sandwich?

Kevin

"more things will start to fix themselves" we have a real optimist here

I have opened a few of these up to repair and had some success. Best bet if you really want some level of accuracy, new sending units are around $100.
nivekdodge
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 13 2023, 08:35 PM) *

That is not right. Sounds like resistance is unpredictable across the length of the wire. If you had rust on parts there is probably other bits of corrosion around. I think that might be easier to deal with. Do you have access to a sonicator?

sonicator? even spellcheck questioned that. May I ask what it does?
Kevin

worn
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Sep 14 2023, 06:01 PM) *

Kevin

I can attest that sometimes the fuel sender will fix itself. Was sitting still those years and now rubbing the windings shiny.
Montreal914

Kevin

Ultrasonic cleaner. Try Googling that, you will see. smile.gif
emerygt350
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Sep 16 2023, 10:15 AM) *

Kevin

Ultrasonic cleaner. Try Googling that, you will see. smile.gif

Many jewelers use them to clean fragile stuff. I use them to disrupt cells and speed up chemical reactions. I have one that just looks like a wand. Dip the wand in the water, dip the object in the water and watch all the badness go away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.