Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's in your rocker panel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
emerygt350
Man I hate having to do this every year. I need to make a crap guard. I don't think my rocker panels are stock due to the chalon.

The tire snakes were a fun surprise.
Click to view attachment
windforfun
What's in your wallet? That's terrible. Where have you been driving? Did you find any dead squirrels? OMG.

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
emerygt350
No kidding, and really that was just 3 months of driving. Maybe if I shove a dead squirrel in each side it would block that stuff.
windforfun
Are you driving on actual roads? Maybe the Bronx or Brooklyn? Any beer cans in there?
porschetub
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 17 2023, 10:03 AM) *

Man I hate having to do this every year. I need to make a crap guard. I don't think my rocker panels are stock due to the chalon.

Click to view attachment

Do you still have the plastic spacers for the bottom bolts ?,mine were missing so I bought some,you need 3 each side,they really help to let the crap drop out ,seem to remember they were the same as used on my front spoiler ,cheers.
emerygt350
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 17 2023, 01:46 PM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 17 2023, 10:03 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Do you still have the plastic spacers for the bottom bolts ?,mine were missing so I bought some,you need 3 each side,they really help to let the crap drop out ,seem to remember they were the same as used on my front spoiler ,cheers.

No spacers, that makes sense. All this stuff was too big to slip out though. I think I am going to try and 3d print something to make a 'mud flap in there.

r_towle
Not sure if this will work on your car…but…

I went to the local HW store and got some half in thick runner stand offs in the plumbing department.
It’s basically a 1/2 inch think rubber washer, 1/2-5/8 diameter.
I removed all the screws on the bottom of the rocker and gently pull it down.
Replace all the bottom screws with longer screws and sandwich in the rubber washers.

Now everything falls out, or can be blasted out with a garden hose.
windforfun
Hmm... 1/2" thick spacers? Did you have to bend the rocker panels for the lower gap? Just a little flexing I suppose. Nothing like a few gaps in life that can be easily cleaned. Mine were filthy back in 2007 when I started cleaning the car. I was hoping to find a Rolex watch in the process.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
NotLance
Click to view attachment

Last year I took them off for the first time in who knows how long.

They are due another check soon...
NARP74
Your adding lightness.

Are the rockers supposed to be riveted or screwed on?
Literati914
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 17 2023, 05:00 PM) *

No spacers, that makes sense. All this stuff was too big to slip out though. I think I am going to try and 3d print something to make a 'mud flap in there.

I’m kind of surprised that the little stock triangular supports do not block most of this stuff from getting in, are yours in tack? I mean how does that larger gravel get past it (rhetorical)? Because it’s more open, I could see this happening in the rear section more so than the front. Anyway, I’m interested in what you come up with for a ‘mud flap’, so be sure to post when done. Good luck.

windforfun
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 18 2023, 07:37 AM) *

Your adding lightness.

Are the rockers supposed to be riveted or screwed on?

Rivets (perhaps plastic) along the top & screws (M6 IIRC) along the bottom.
emerygt350
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 18 2023, 08:57 AM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 17 2023, 05:00 PM) *

I’m kind of surprised that the little stock triangular supports do not block most of this stuff from getting in, are yours in tack? I mean how does that larger gravel get past it (rhetorical)? Because it’s more open, I could see this happening in the rear section more so than the front. Anyway, I’m interested in what you come up with for a ‘mud flap’, so be sure to post when done. Good luck.

I think the Chalon has a bigger area there than stock. Not sure though, and no, my next job is welding on some new pyramids. They are gone but the longs are solid. I about died the first time I pulled them off and saw that, luckily nothing penetrated and I sandblasted the hell out of them and put about 8 layers of paint over the shiny new metal. It was full of California dust. Here is the long before the sandblasting and paint.
Click to view attachment
burton73
Look mom, no rust on #41

Bob B

Click to view attachment
emerygt350
Drool. So shiny!
wonkipop
any of you notice a 76 that was for sale on BAT a few days back?

doctor who smuggled it on to his tardis 50 years ago?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

someone picked it up at 25K.
no need to clean behind the rockers when he gets it home.
emerygt350
Holy cow. That is amazing. So crisp. Like a bag of lays you just opened.
wonkipop
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 18 2023, 03:53 PM) *

Holy cow. That is amazing. So crisp. Like a bag of lays you just opened.

for some reason there was no auction competition for the car.
i thought it was a pretty amazing example.
there was something funny about the speedo and tach gauges.
being silver dot rather than later black dots.
but the whole car was in pretty remarkable state.

someone got it cheap for what it was.

EDIT
re early silver dot gauges - there was a short discussion in sales comments among some.
----i spotted this in the paper work.
the buyer probably did too?

Click to view attachment

gas gauge (with later black dot) was replaced in 82.
wasn't the silver dots that were the odd ones out, was the gas gauge.
for some reason this 76 got silver dot guages originally?
hans or heinrich ran out of black dot ones at friday lunctime? confused24.gif smile.gif
emerygt350
Why would they go back? So strange, but really to get something that healthy I would look past lots of weird bits. What a buy.

I have that kind of documentation for my mustang, but sadly all I have for the 914 is the original Porsche book for checkups etcs, nothing about later work.
wonkipop
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 18 2023, 05:58 PM) *

Why would they go back? So strange, but really to get something that healthy I would look past lots of weird bits. What a buy.

I have that kind of documentation for my mustang, but sadly all I have for the 914 is the original Porsche book for checkups etcs, nothing about later work.

why would they go back?
because the dealer fitted the correct spare part for a 74 on.
should have been black guages.

but for some reason the car likely had silver dot dials from factory - maybe.
dr914 said a few in the last month of production got silver dot dials, probably from spare part stocks for earlier cars. they were emptying the parts bin on the last cars.
but this one is not from december. so not sure why the silver dots.
but likely it did have three silver dot dials sold new.
copped an inadvertent error in 82 when they replaced it with the "right" one at the dealer. they would have ordered it in as the part for a 76.
SKL1
Not surprised. When I first got my '71 it was my only car and I had to drive it in the IA winter. I took them off several times every winter to clean everything out. Guess it helped, as I'm still driving it 52+ years later. But it's not my only car anymore! smile.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Sep 20 2023, 01:06 PM) *

Not surprised. When I first got my '71 it was my only car and I had to drive it in the IA winter. I took them off several times every winter to clean everything out. Guess it helped, as I'm still driving it 52+ years later. But it's not my only car anymore! smile.gif

Just goes to show, a bit of basic maintenance does make the difference. I'm sure the "original owner car" is also in great shape.

A couple years ago I was looking at a potential project, I asked the seller if I could remove the rockers to inspect, when the screws came out easily and very little debris was in the cavity, I jumped on her.

Still can't believe the OP with the "debris" collection. How/where was this guy driving?
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 16 2023, 02:03 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Pan that for gold
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.