Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheels, Springs, or Tires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rickso71
My '71 1.7L seems to have a sagging rear end, suspension-wise that is. The outside edge of the rear fenders is about an inch or so down from the top of the tire (the photo was taken BEFORE the enging went in so it looks higher). I need new tires since these are 15yr. old Michelin XZX, 165SR15... lots of tread but they're old.

Would like to get something a little wider but fear the outside of the tires will rub the inside of the fenders. Right now there's not much clearence there. The rims are
ATS 5 1/2 J x 15H2. Don't know about the offset. The rear springs are yellow (that's all I know about them). Someone before suggested they might be shorter to lower the rear.

The torsion bar adjusters for the front, which is sitting with about 1" fender above the tires, are pretty well frozen so may not be able to lower the front any... dang. Looks sorta silly with the nose high and the tail low.

My questions (I'm getting there...) are:
Can I still lower the front? How do I free those adjusters?
If not, can I raise the rear with new springs and not too much work?
Do I have too much offset on the wheels?
Can I get wider tires or am I stuck with the 165's if I don't raise the rear?
rickso71
Oops... forgot to add the photo...
Jacques
QUOTE (rickso71 @ Aug 17 2005, 07:56 PM)
... Can I get wider tires or am I stuck with the 165's if I don't raise the rear?

smash.gif No matter what you do,. you are not stuck with 165's!
Joe Ricard
Get some PB blaster for the adjuster nuts up front. Then give em hell.
I don't know what the back space is for those ATS wheels. but your still should be able to run a 195/60-15 tire.
Rough_Rider
agree.gif
PB blaster your nuts. oooeeerrr.. Sorry coudln't resist cool.gif

Tip: jack the car up on that corner to take the weight off the adjuster.
rickso71
I did have the front end on jacks when I tried the adjuster nuts.

What is "PB blaster" and where can I find it?

How much wider is a 195/60-15 tire than a 165SR15 and will I notice a difference in handling?
SirAndy
QUOTE (rickso71 @ Aug 17 2005, 07:56 PM)
My '71 1.7L seems to have a sagging rear end

are both sides sagging the same? idea.gif

i'm just asking because if the pass. side sags more then i have have some "bad news" for 'ya ...
cool.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rickso71 @ Aug 18 2005, 06:50 PM)
I did have the front end on jacks when I tried the adjuster nuts.

How much wider is a 195/60-15 tire than a 165SR15 and will I notice a difference in handling?

195 mm - 165mm = 30mm wider....

jd74914
Yep. You will probably notice a positive handling difference, if you get good tires.
swl
QUOTE (rickso71 @ Aug 18 2005, 05:50 PM)

Been wondering that myself.

PB blaster
markb
IIRC, the adjusters work opposite of what you would think (or at least what I think). Clockwise, I believe (correct me if I 'm wrong here) takes the front end up.
johnmhudson111
It is the best stuff, think WD40 supercharged. I had asked a mechanic in a brake and muffler shop what he used and he told me he had tried it all an this is the only stuff that worked. He gave me a can for me to try and I haven't used anything else. I get it at Autozone here in North MS.
rickso71
Thanks for the info on PB Blaster.. Sounds like just what I need. I heard elsewhere the adjusting screws go CW to raise, CCW to lower. Does sound backwards.

Still not sure what to do with wheels and tires. Sounds like my ATS wheels don't have enough offset and stick out too far for wider tires. Sounds like in addition to new tires I also need different rims. When does it ($$$) end?
Joe Ricard
When does it end? NEVER.
Others had had those wheels on thier cars. the back space can't be any less than Empi's I think they look good on the car. you could take the rims to a machine shop and have them cut down a 1/4 inch to give you more back space. How much do they have now?
rickso71
I don't fully understand "backspace" and "offset". I assume it's the measure of the center of the tread relative to the plane of the bolt holes on the rotors. What points on the wheel or tire are they measured from/between?
maf914
I used a set of ATS Roadstars that look just like yours for several years. I used 185/70 tires with no problems. This was a step up from the stock 165/80 tires and were a noticable improvement. The offset does push them further out than stock offsets, so that is a bit of a problem. I don't recall if there was room at the rear for a 195/65 or not. But they do look good I think.

redshift
I agree with Mike, as I had someadoes before. I like the look..

M
maf914
QUOTE (rickso71 @ Aug 23 2005, 04:01 AM)
I don't fully understand "backspace" and "offset". I assume it's the measure of the center of the tread relative to the plane of the bolt holes on the rotors. What points on the wheel or tire are they measured from/between?

You're right. Offset is the distance from the bolt mounting face to the centerline of the wheel. Backspace is the distance from the bolt mounting face to the rear edge of the wheel. For me, backspace is easier to visualize. For offset, I usually have to draw a picture. laugh.gif
rickso71
I measured the distance from the bolt face to the inside edge of the wheel at 4.5". Looking at the car from the rear, the tires are way out at the edges of the fenders. Not sure how this will affect handling.
campbellcj
Frankly I would say if you have the budget and motivation, replace all three (and maybe your shocks too while you're in there)!

For a relatively stock 914, the 4-lug Fuchs are hard to beat for strength, lightness and looks IMO, and they can run 195/60's or 205/50's on most cars with little to no rubbing issues. Assuming this is mainly a street car, you will most likely not want to go super stiff on shocks and springs or to much below a 60 profile tire.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.