Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve lash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfinegan
Is it me, or does using the crusty method to adjust the valve lash on anything but a stock cam difficult with overlaps found in Larger Web cam?

Zero Loose gap=no play but can still turn the pushrods or Elephant feet rocker tips
I still let a little ticking if both valves are not “rocking” perfect?

VaccaRabite
I've never had an issue, and I used a lopey cam on my 2056 with elephant feet and cromo pushrods.

Since the same cam lobe activates 2 lifters (each 180 degrees apart from each other) if one lifter is on cam at all, the other is off. The are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. Its impossible for both to be on cam at the same time.

Think about it this way. The cam lobe is not bigger then the base circle. Which means that even if the cam lobe was a cam rectangle, both lifters would still be off cam at 0* and 180* (when the cam lobe was point directly up or down).

Even on cams with a reduced circle base for stroker engines, this is done to clearance the crank, not the opposing lifter.

Ergo - even on big cams - the method works.

Zach
rfinegan
Yep I get the shared lobe, but doing an the intake and the exhaust at the same time?
MY old method was to rotate each valve one at a time it was full open and adjust the other side. Not as fast but seems to get the results I as looking for
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Sep 18 2023, 11:56 AM) *

MY old method was to rotate each valve one at a time it was full open and adjust the other side.

I have always done it this way. I make sure the exhaust valve on the right is fully open, then adjust the exhaust valve on the left side.

Repeat until you complete one side.

Then repeat on the other side.

Never had an issue with valve adjustments after I started doing it this way.

Just my $.02

rfinegan
Thanks Clay,,, i think a hybrid version of this is in order....

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 18 2023, 01:50 PM) *

QUOTE(rfinegan @ Sep 18 2023, 11:56 AM) *

MY old method was to rotate each valve one at a time it was full open and adjust the other side.

I have always done it this way. I make sure the exhaust valve on the right is fully open, then adjust the exhaust valve on the left side.

Repeat until you complete one side.

Then repeat on the other side.

Never had an issue with valve adjustments after I started doing it this way.

Just my $.02

iankarr
Anyone else find it ironic that we spend more time trying to decipher Crusty's method than it would take to just rotate the engine two more times? wink.gif
Gint
Loved the Cap'n, but I was never a fan of doing valve adjustment that way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.