Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: W.O.T electric bike
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sb914
I have plenty of good old bikes. Now that I’m in Oregon there’s tons of awesome trails
To explore for miles and miles .What kind do you have and do you like it ? How many watts? What brand? It’s overwhelming the amount of choices. What don’t you like about your bike.
Thanks …
mepstein
Go to a good bike shop and get some help. Just like regular bikes, it’s not the brand that matters. It’s what’s best for you. Just like a pair of shoes, fit is always the most important thing about any bike. Then as you go up in price, better performance (both from the bike itself and the battery/motor) and less weight. The weight thing is even more significant on an electric bike.
Jamie
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 19 2023, 03:26 AM) *

Go to a good bike shop and get some help. Just like regular bikes, it’s not the brand that matters. It’s what’s best for you. Just like a pair of shoes, fit is always the most important thing about any bike. Then as you go up in price, better performance (both from the bike itself and the battery/motor) and less weight. The weight thing is even more significant on an electric bike.

While on a 5 day tour driving my teener in N.Ohio I was astonished to see many Amish riders on electric bikes! They recharge with solar panels on house roofs, not plugged into the grid as is our practice. shades.gif
Steve
I don't own one yet, but these are really popular where I live. Probably the price.
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/collections/o...-electric-bikes
Jack Standz
You can always build versus buy.

Here's a full suspension bike converted with a mid-drive 52 volt motor/battery and other parts from Luna Cycle & other vendors. Best of all it's a Porsche (actually, a Gary Fisher bought off Craigslist for $150). It's adjustable in software up to 1,000 watts (for offroad or street use, depending on the stetting ) with a peak power of 1,600 watts.

A whole lot more affordable and you can customize with almost unlimited options.

(In the first photo, the bike has been restored, in the second, it has been converted to electric.)
r_towle
Im not sure how old you are or how strong you are, but lifting the bike onto a car mounted bike rack is now a major factor in comparing these new elec bikes.

I believe Specialized is the lightest one I have found.

Rich
Gint
Yeah, you need a rack that can handle the extra weight.

Shar and I have rented quite a few now. We do it when we're vacationing. Great way to check out a place. They are fun. I don't have a use case for one really. I did buy one for Shar. She loves. it.

They vary in weight, type, power, battery life, etc... The best way to experience one is to rent one in the type you are interested in and check it out. Then do some research and narrow your focus.
Unobtanium-inc
I did a fair amount of research and many that are on the market on places like Amazon are complete junk. They know all the right things to put on there to get you to buy it, and you do, and it's junk. And if you want a refund, you ship it back to China.
I went with Aventon. I rented two different kinds of their bikes and the miles per charge was accurate to what they advertised. I've put over 150 miles on mine and love it. My son got the same one and we go riding almost every day.
This is the one I got.

https://www.aventon.com/products/soltera-eb...=41304326865091

They were $1000 each but I got $200 off by ordering two. Free Shipping.

The most I've done in one ride was 30 miles, on Assist Mode 3. But I don't think I will need more then 30 miles in a single ride.
This is more of a commuter/city bike, but we ride primarily on the rail trail through our town. If you want to do serious mountain biking you'll need a heavier duty bike, but Aventon has those too, they just cost more.

Here is what I will say about ebikes and everyone I know who has one would agree, they are a lot of fun and you ride more then you would a traditional bike. I bought them so me and my son could ride together, and it has worked out better then I could have ever hoped, we ride almost every day.
Jack Standz
One more thing. You will probably enjoy the trail riding you mentioned, if you get a full suspension mountain bike (front and rear suspension). Hard tails aren't so good for off road riding.
mgphoto
We bought ours about a year ago, we’re having a great time with them.Click to view attachment
Gint
Those lower end Aventon models get good reviews.

If I get a e-bike, I kind of want a Ride1Up Roadster Gravel Edition. Single gear carbon belt drive. But I just don't need one. I ride a bike every day for cardio.

brant
I know I’m off topic for mountain bikes

Moto-compacto

But I’ve been eyeing this
Comes out in November
And matches my motocompo in the garage
So feeding my mini bike habit that seems to know no bounds
JamesM
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 21 2023, 09:18 AM) *

I know I’m off topic for mountain bikes

Moto-compacto

But I’ve been eyeing this
Comes out in November
And matches my motocompo in the garage
So feeding my mini bike habit that seems to know no bounds

After having both my knees reconstructed due to taking an unexpected bump on something similar, I wouldn't.

Those electric motors are really torquey and all the "mini" designs I have seen have you basically on top of the rear wheel like a unicycle. Small bump on the front wheel puts all your weight behind the rear wheel and the torque of the motor shoots the bike out in front of you.

Not fun to be moving though the air at 20mph with nothing under you
brant
Good advice

Still there is a little devil whispering in my ear

Maybe I’ll talk my way into a test ride
There going to sell them at the car dealers as they did with the motocompo
brant
Still would look good next to its brother
Unobtanium-inc
Just rolled 200 miles on mine, not bad for 6 weeks of ownership. Seriously, these things are a lot of fun, we ride everyday!
JmuRiz
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 21 2023, 01:29 PM) *

Still would look good next to its brother

Super cool…love the motocompo, shame they are so $$ now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.