Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hand throttle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
Purpose of a hand throttle? Just for warm up?
930cabman
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Sep 20 2023, 05:11 AM) *

Yes, mine works perfect with a 2056, mild cam and twin 40IDF carbs. I got the kit from one of our suppliers and I recall making a few modifications.
Shivers
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Sep 20 2023, 04:11 AM) *

I also hear you can use it as a cruise control. I can see that cruising in 5th on the freeway.
JmuRiz
Yes and yes...wish I had it on my other carb car (and my /4 when it was carb'd). I have a setup ready to go on my /6 conversion whenever I actually put it together.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 20 2023, 07:16 AM) *

Yes, mine works perfect with a 2056, mild cam and twin 40IDF carbs. I got the kit from one of our suppliers and I recall making a few modifications.

which supplier?

i think this would be nice to have for my 2056 as well, Michael said he used it on his car, which is FI, but a six,
rfinegan
which hand throttle works with the Renshifter?

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 20 2023, 09:39 AM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 20 2023, 07:16 AM) *

which supplier?

i think this would be nice to have for my 2056 as well, Michael said he used it on his car, which is FI, but a six,

Cairo94507
914 Rubber sells the kit. beerchug.gif
rfinegan
I do not think mine has a slot? Will one have to be cut? Saw for mill?
Shivers
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Sep 20 2023, 06:53 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I got this pic off the internet. Looks like they may be cutting them now for a hand throttle.

Click to view attachment

There is a dimple, Like an alignment pin. So a small cut and an extra hole. Or half a hole, that is pretty thick material.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 20 2023, 11:01 AM) *

I got this pic off the internet. Looks like they may be cutting them now for a hand throttle.

There is a dimple, Like an alignment pin. So a small cut and an extra hole. Or half a hole, that is pretty thick material.

Cool! might be time to go to a short shift kit, i was thinking of doing this and the Chris Foley mod at the transmission console shifter bushing too.
JmuRiz
I need to either cut my OG Rennshift base or see if I can buy just that part from @JWest .
Shivers
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 20 2023, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 20 2023, 11:01 AM) *

Cool! might be time to go to a short shift kit, i was thinking of doing this and the Chris Foley mod at the transmission console shifter bushing too.

That is what I did. Knocked it all out at the same time. Added a couple springs , a quick shift and built the hand throttle. I’m doing my own trans console mod with steering parts and a chunk of aluminum. Need a machinist for the actual console shaft for OD and cone screw.

Click to view attachment
DennisV

FWIW - Here's the applicable section from the 914-6 Owner's Manual.
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 20 2023, 07:05 AM) *

I also hear you can use it as a cruise control. I can see that cruising in 5th on the freeway.

I used them do that. On a flat, straight west Texas freeway, it will really freak out your wife to find you sitting with your hands and feet off the pedals and steering wheel at 70 mph.

I did it for 10 minutes, and only had to nudge the wheel due to the road crown. Somebody yelled at me for it. biggrin.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Sep 20 2023, 11:11 PM) *

Handy to have ,I normally set it to around 1200rpm but usually not for long as my engine warms up fast ,must be a 911 thing ? ,also helpful with tuning carbs.
Made mine up out of bits and bobs, spare heater control lever, fitted a ball end stud to the lever and threaded ball cup from an old T4 carb linkage to a piece rod,the metal piece copied from a pic of an original "6" throttle lever ,the guide for the rod made up as per original also .
Good useful project that cost me nothing but they are a bit of a PITA to final fit.
Click to view attachment
rfinegan
any pics of a modified consoled with a hand throttle?
Geezer914
I am trying to figure out how this can hold the throttle at a set rpm yet not effect the operation of the gas pedal???
Rob-O
It does affect the gas pedal. It’s connected to the gas pedal fulcrum.
Shivers
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Sep 22 2023, 04:36 AM) *

I am trying to figure out how this can hold the throttle at a set rpm yet not effect the operation of the gas pedal???

Click to view attachment

In the pic you can see the lever and the rod. Looks like this rod may have a rubber cap. Then you see a piece of metal tab in a particular shape. That piece is welded to throttle assembly. The rod only pushes up against that tab. If you hit the throttle the tab pulls away from the rod. They are not connected.
DennisV
QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 22 2023, 05:55 AM) *

In the pic you can see the lever and the rod. Looks like this rod may have a rubber cap. Then you see a piece of metal tab in a particular shape. That piece is welded to throttle assembly. The rod only pushes up against that tab. If you hit the throttle the tab pulls away from the rod. They are not connected.

Here is a photo of where the rod hits the tab when it's installed.
Click to view attachment
Shivers
QUOTE(DennisV @ Sep 22 2023, 07:04 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Perfect! first.gif
friethmiller
I added a hand throttle to my 2375 with twin 44 IDF Webbers. Got it from Tangerine.
It's really great at start up but I also use it when running my A/C compressor to keep the rev's normal at stop lights.

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Have the full kit available, Black Friday sale comming up soon too.

https://914rubber.com/manual-throttle-actuator-kit-1

Made just like the factory. It also allows you to set friction on it to increase or decrease so if your pedal return spring or assembly needs more or less you can set it.
bdstone914
QUOTE(DennisV @ Sep 22 2023, 07:04 AM) *

Click to view attachment

If that is your car the bushing for tha bracket is missing. Note how low the end of the rod is on the gas pedal crank. Looks like it coyld catch under and wedge it open.

@Dennisv
Shivers
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 22 2023, 06:44 PM) *

Have the full kit available, Black Friday sale comming up soon too.

https://914rubber.com/manual-throttle-actuator-kit-1

Made just like the factory. It also allows you to set friction on it to increase or decrease so if your pedal return spring or assembly needs more or less you can set it.

Where’s the fun in that?

I’m teasing, that is a very nice kit. You vendors are the best.
DennisV
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 23 2023, 04:16 AM) *

If that is your car the bushing for tha bracket is missing. Note how low the end of the rod is on the gas pedal crank. Looks like it coyld catch under and wedge it open.

@Dennisv

Yes. That is our car. Thank you for pointing that out! I didn't realize it was missing. Where do these things disappear too?! 914-424-219-00 Friction ring looks like another NLA research project. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.