Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NARP74
Why would someone do this? Planning ahead for some rear suspension work and I find this. I am having a hard time thinking what they were trying to do. Am I screwed?
Click to view attachment
DennisV
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 21 2023, 01:33 PM) *

Why would someone do this? Planning ahead for some rear suspension work and I find this. I am having a hard time thinking what they were trying to do. Am I screwed?

I am guessing someone overtightened and it snapped. welder.gif The only thing I could think to do is weld a bolt to that center rod section so you have something to hold against.

Perhaps someone more clever than I am has a better suggestion.
GregAmy
If you put a really good impact gun and 6-point impact socket on it it'll probably spin right off.

If the shaft spins and it doesn't come off, you can go underneath with vice grips on the shaft.

Clearly, you're planning to replace that?
NARP74
It looks cut to me. The other side looks the same. No idea why.
I was not planning on replacing it until I took the hat off and saw it.
This changes my plans and cost quite a bit.
Superhawk996
Like most things DAPO’s do, you’ll never figure out what they were trying to “fix”.

Just keep moving forward. Both suggestions above are good advice.

Mike9142.0
The shaft on some rear shocks can be very long. My guess is that they were trimmed down so the the top was not damaged when stored is the trunk.
mepstein
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Sep 21 2023, 04:58 PM) *

If you put a really good impact gun and 6-point impact socket on it it'll probably spin right off.

If the shaft spins and it doesn't come off, you can go underneath with vice grips on the shaft.

Clearly, you're planning to replace that?

Yep. Rattle gun for the win.
Root_Werks
Looks like a home made lock nut, ground down to "lock" the nut.

Yup, impact gun should zip that off pretty quick.
930cabman
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 21 2023, 02:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Not screwed at all, when it's time to disassemble either impact or cut the nut off.

How many other "surprises" are from the prior DAPO
Geezer914
What is that? Trying to figure where that is. Need an expanded picture.
burton73
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Sep 21 2023, 03:06 PM) *

What is that? Trying to figure where that is. Need an expanded picture.

I take it that's the top of a shock tower? Just with the carpets near it, I confused me. Somebody either used a hacksaw, or somebody used a grinder. Try to get it off of there or leave it there until you're forced to get it off.

Bob B

NARP74
Top of the rear shock tower. So I have a fully carpeted trunk and someone takes a sawzall to the shock rods that are sticking out of the top of the nut. Make it make sense.

In my case it is DA2PO. I am finding things from both previous owners, or at least the shops they used too.

I'll make a list sometime.
Root_Werks
Don't forget there was a good number of years 914's were very affordable (cheap). Lots of Back-Yard-Bob's and their kids got a hold of 914's. Decades later, those "repairs" or "upgrades" need correcting.
NARP74
This car has some high end upgrades. I don't agree with all of them, but someone wanted this to be a dream car, their dream, not mine. Some of the things I find just don't make sense.
bkrantz
What brand rear shocks, and how old? They might be due for replacement anyway.
Gint
I have an impact that will probably take those off without too much trouble.
targa72e
No idea why thy did what they did. That said I use an impact on struts for removal (and sometimes instillation) so it would not really make a difference.

john
NARP74
As a test I put a hand wrench on it and they both loosened up easily. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. They are Bilstein shocks, no idea how old they are or how many miles they have on them. I'll take a closer look this weekend for a date code and model info if they are on there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.