Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maltese Falcon and Son 914 Cup car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
Couldn't resist a father and son project, so for my son's 15th I reeled in this beauty from Livermore Ca. It's a 1974 2.0 daily driver in good shape, pretty much all stock. We will start tearing into it next week, and basically be building it to POC 914cup specs. By age 16 , all should be rolling at Willow Springs with DE and dedicated track time --keeping Jr's focus off of street racing.
I'll post up some progress pics over the next few months wink.gif For now- the AD link
My Webpage
Marty & Matt
redshift
I'd like to know what Cup Spec is, and then I'd like to have a list of all the parts coming off, and I also call DIBS on that pile! smile.gif

I saw a 994 with a blower at my mechanic's today, it was so tiny... and it would fit. Thought of you.... and those peach bell bottom slacks..

laugh.gif

M
Brent
Was that just listed on the 14th? Thats a sweet deal!!!!
neo914-6
smilie_pokal.gif Yeah Marty! When you can share love of cars with family it's just cool...

Do you get worried about your cars when you're out of town? happy11.gif

redshift
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Aug 18 2005, 02:01 AM)
When you can share love of cars with family it's just cool...

Yes, and sharing cheap parts with club members! smilie_pokal.gif

unsure.gif

M
Mueller
Let us know when you'll be up here, there is a HOOTERS about 10 minutes from Livermore boldblue.gif wub.gif
Maltese Falcon
The listing was recent, and I couldn't resist. I was really impressed by Matt's choice of vehicles - for his first driver , a 914 biggrin.gif
We went thru all sorts of scenarios on imports (ie-rice), muscle, new, etc. and it was 914 ! The mods for Cup are pretty liveable for street driving- do a search on the forum for 914 cup. The mods basically handicap you from zero (stock 1.7) to mucho , as in a heavilly modded 914 say like a 3.6 or a forced induction, big fendered , big slicks, LSD trans. You compete with other POC 914cup members for points in Time trials, I don't think there is fender to fender racing- but I'll do some more digging.
The car will more than likely get a future six transplant as the learning curve of track driving progresses.
Bell Bottom driving suits - there's a concept screwy.gif
Marty , 36 years after Woodstock aktion035.gif
redshift
Nomex ascot..

smilie_pokal.gif

M
Andyrew
laugh.gif Marty, Way to go!!!

I thought I was going to keep my 4 cylander for longer so I could race it and learn how to autox on it... but inevidably I learned on a 944 turbo.

Now my car has a v8.. I skiped the 6... lol

Glad to see another father son project!!

First year with dad and my car was great, Dad showed me a bunch!!

Second year I did most of the work dry.gif

Third year, were just playing around now... lol
EdwardBlume
Cool deal. Building a 914 with your kid must be really fun. I plan to do the same thing with my daughter someday... she's 20..... months that is.
Allan
Nice Marty.

Can't wait to see the progress thread...
rhodyguy
value priced too smilie_pokal.gif . did you grab the fuch wheels as part of the deal? i like the wheels in the ad too(hint).

k
redshift
Back off Kevin! I called dibs on all the bones!

(I may be able to work out a trade later, for a can of banana slugs)

biggrin.gif

M
jd74914
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Aug 18 2005, 08:15 AM)
First year with dad and my car was great, Dad showed me a bunch!!

Second year I did most of the work dry.gif

Exactly how my dad and I worked. He hasn't touched the teener in a while.
Maltese Falcon
The seller ( mad props!) was not up for changing out the wheels for the fuchs- so we got some other extra items thrown in . What are those 4 spoke wheels called anyway ? idea.gif Prolly going to 5 lug Fuchs(street) and 5 lug steelies w/ race rubber for DE days.
Marty
jd74914
They might be American Racing. I forget now.
Maltese Falcon
Mueller--check your PM biggrin.gif
914 Stuff !!
Marty
Maltese Falcon
a couple of little things finished up on the project car:
front valence w/ inlet grille for oil cooler. The item came from PerfProd, and we cut the inlet and added the mesh.
The fit and finish was actually pretty good--for cheap fiberglass biggrin.gif
Marty
Maltese Falcon
...got the rear valence painted , and the "Rescued" bursch extractor w/ new magnaflow muffler Xtreme- ceramic coated . The flashy silver gets evil stares from the ricer crowd happy11.gif
Maltese Falcon
...nuther pic of the new style side exit magnaflow muffler. The exhaust comes right out the r/rear valence, 2.250" od tube.
It's also a great leafblower !
Marty
Maltese Falcon
The 2 apprentices, Zack (L) and Matt ® , are quickly learning basic 914 mechanical skills. We've been thru 5 months of rustoration-101 and are almost ready for DE. Funniest thing discovered on the car to date: Prev owner had a 914-4 L rear caliper and a 914-6 R rear caliper screwy.gif
Since auto shop is rare today in L.A. high schools, I am happy to mentor my son and his friend in a good hobby like this. My goal is to keep them focused in club racing , and out of street racing.
Marty
John
You can do DE's at 16?

I was under the assumption that one had to be 18 like I was when I started 18 years ago..... Maybe things changed.

It's a great thing father and son. That's how I got stuck in this crazy 914 thing.
Maltese Falcon
John, the age here for the POC is 16, with a valid Ca. DL of course.
The DE starts out on a basic skidpad, and progresses to the STS (short track series) at Willow Springs Raceway. As progress of the driving gets on...the main track will be avail for further DE--but an approved roll cage will be required . The GCRs will not allow me to tie in the suspension points with the cage in the 914cup class, that is of course without points deducted mad.gif
Marty
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentThe car was finished to deadline , and we made it out to the DE at Willow STS on Sept 9/ 10 2006. It was a drag not being able to go to the Ventura Show this year, but the fun factor at Willow was an E ticket ride biggrin.gif
We didn't run the front air dam , for fear of tearing it off during John Deere excursions...turns out the car never left the road course.
Matt did well considering he's only been driving the 914 for 6 months, and zero road race experience. He just needs a little more smoothness on downshifts (threw a fanbelt just before lunch break).
Here's a few pics
Marty
Maltese Falcon
The pit crew, me and OG9146 (Shane). Shane also joined up with POC and drove the car in White group (CI). He ran a 1.43 on Sunday for top time in class. Not too shabby on this tired 2.0 engine !
Maltese Falcon
Our secret weapon; the knowledge , skill and driving technique of the best road racer around--Otto. A generous thank you for taking the time to school my 2 students that weekend smile.gif
Marty
Maltese Falcon
The Willow skidpad; gets your arms sore...but worth it .
Maltese Falcon
Grid Time for some "Lead and follow" . Problem is that most cars will follow a car that is dead on the wrong line. That's where a good instructor will make all the difference in your learning curve. All instructors were not created equal blink.gif
Maltese Falcon
And there were a few girls at the DE also. Kind of cool ; pink VS. blue biggrin.gif
By the end of the day on Sunday , Matt clipped off a 1.47 which was good progress for his first time out. The car lasted well also- since we were double stinting in White and Yellow classes...the car was on track for an hour at a time getting hammered blink.gif
The Toyo RA-1s were sticking like glue.
The front oil cooler (Patricks M'sports) kept evil temps at bay. We did lose a rear view mirror, and a door panel came loose.
I'll post all of the 914 mods in a near future post.
Marty
swood
Props to John. I knew you were hitting Willow, but I didn't know why.

Marty, Very cool thing you did for your son. I think mine might dig that when he's old enough.

Makes me want to get into the A/X'n before the hardcores retire.
Trekkor
Nice work, Marty!! clap56.gif

KT
Aaron Cox
too fun!
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment

It's been awhile, but the project rolls on and records get broken.
The 2.0 broke the Willow Streets course CW with bowl (ci class) time of 1.40.359 , with a new time of 1.38.804 beerchug.gif this past weekend. There are a few more POC events scheduled thru Nov. 2007. The engine and trans are holding up OK , considering this was a craigslist special !
The car will have a fresh engine / trans for 2008. Matt and his co-driver Shane are really taking hold of road racing skills--Thanks Otto biggrin.gif
Marty
JmuRiz
Great news!

BTW those wheels look awesome on that car, what brand/size?
RoninEclipse2G
QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Aug 18 2005, 07:44 AM) *

Cool deal. Building a 914 with your kid must be really fun. I plan to do the same thing with my daughter someday... she's 20..... months that is.

I've got a little girl the same age biggrin.gif Planning on doing the same thing, most likely get her something really cool that doesn't run or barely runs when she's about 13-14 and we'll spend the time building/restoring it until she's old enough to drive. good bonding I think.
Maltese Falcon
Nathan, the wheels are Pannasport (race style) 15" x 6 " allowed in the class.
The Pannasport Wheel store is in Torrance Ca. and the owner 's name is Mas. The street style look similar, but are heavier.
Marty
DBCooper
Well done, Marty.
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

It's been awhile, but since the 2007 POC season ended ( Matt finished 2nd in points) we've rebuilt the 2.0 engine /trans and ready for 2008 !
Here's some pics, basically all stock 2.0 except for the european C/R, and MSDS cone filter setup:
We will be tracking at Willow, 3-29/3-30-08 if anyone wants to see us sort it out smile.gif
Marty
Maltese Falcon
...Two more

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.