Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Relay Board for my 914-6 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom1394racing
I am converting a 1973 914-2.0 to a 914-6 GT Tribute car. The build thread is located here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=358279&hl=

My question concerns the engine relay board. I understand that the 914-6 relay board is different than the 914-4 board. I will be using a new 914-6 wiring harness including a new engine harness from Restoration Design. The engine will be a carbureted 3.2 short stroke with twin plug MDS system. I am guessing that I can modify the 914-4 relay board to work with the -6 wiring harness and avoid having to locate a -6 relay board.

Has anyone done this? Could someone point me to a person or thread that will help me?
Root_Werks
It's been a while, If I remember correctly, you can use the 4cyl board and harness. Just take the harness apart and configure as needed.

Last couple of six conversions, just eliminated the board. Even with my CIS, it's not needed.
Mikey914
If you haven’t purchased, RD should be able to accommodate the change.
Luke M
Hi Tom,

Depends on what you are after but there's really no need for the relay board.
When I did my brothers 3.0 6 conversion we omitted the relay board.
If you have an internal voltage reg on your alternator and relocating the fuel pump up front then there's no need for the board. Cleans up the engine bay too and makes changing the oil filter a little easier. Just get a male 911 14 pin connector wire as need and good to go. See pic of my brother's install.

Also the relay that you see in the pic is a hot start relay.
Tom1394racing
The harness is wired for the fuel pump up front. I am planning on using a rebuilt 35 amp Bosch alternator that will be externally regulated. I am thinking of using one of the mini solid state voltage regulators.
mlindner
Yup as root works said, just eliminate. I had Perry Kiehl make a new engine harness, deleted relay board, added MSD...all worked great. Best, MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Steve
agree.gif
Most people dump the relay board.
The relay board has the following:
1. Heater fan - Don't need
2. Regulator - Most sixes have an internal regulator
3. Rear Window defroster - Do you have one?
4. Fuel pump - Easy to wire an external fuel pump relay.
930cabman
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 25 2023, 08:59 AM) *

It's been a while, If I remember correctly, you can use the 4cyl board and harness. Just take the harness apart and configure as needed.

Last couple of six conversions, just eliminated the board. Even with my CIS, it's not needed.

Exactly what I was planning, it looks straightforward to clean things up and make filter changes much easier for sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.