Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A HUGE thank you to the parking lot repair team
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
I wanted to express my gratitude to anyone and everyone who helped out both Saturday afternoon and Saturday evening to troubleshoot and fix my car.

Ideas, tools, parts and extra sets of hands seemed to appear out of nowhere.

I was stressed out, facing a 540 mile drive home early the next day. Having my 914 brothers & sisters by my side took the edge off.

Several things were causing my car to run terrible:

The miss I was experiencing "felt" similar to faulty trigger points, so I installed my spare distributor...this didn't help. When we replaced the coil, the symptoms seemed to change but the engine was still running poorly.

After many hours of swapping out parts, checking and re-checking things and general frustration it was determined the initial problem was a bad coil. The spare distributor installed before swapping out the coil had bad trigger points, which masked the fact that the coil was the problem. dry.gif

The engine fired up with a roar late Saturday night and got me home on Sunday, all thanks to the Okteenerfest parking lot repair team.

You guys & gals are the best, thank you! beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Bob

Olympic 914
Glad you got it sorted.

But you did have a solid plan B

Good to see you there.
DRPHIL914
Bob i was glad to see them work it out, sometimes too many cooks so i kept my nose out of it and stood back, . when that happens, remember keep it simple, dont change so many things at once keep one variable, so if you replace something put it back and move on to the next one, or you end up with 2 different things happening and its hard to figure out. but lesson learned, it just sounded like either points or coil to me, when i came over i was like well reverify that stuff, i was glad Mike(Dr E) had you go back to the original distributor and recheck the coil!
-years ago i had a similar issue with a '69 Austin Healey, points got fouled and coil ended up being part of the issue i had to drive home over a hundre miles iwth it messing up missing, local mechanic near our farm figured it out in 5 minutes lol!

now get yourself a 123ignition distributor.

Glad you made it home ok, did it run well the rest of the way then??

Phil
Cairo94507
That is amazing! I am very glad you got it sorted. That is only the 2nd time I have ever heard of a coil failing. The 1st time was in my car and it left me stranded for 8.5 hours on Highway 5 in 108 degree heat- not a fun day. Once home (flatbed) we realized the coil in the car was the wrong coil for a 3.2 engine. Got the correct coil and vroom! Go figure. beerchug.gif
StarBear
Yay! Glad it worked out. Such a long drive! You’re a brave one, Bob.
Onward!
Rusty
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 26 2023, 06:59 AM) *

Bob i was glad to see them work it out, sometimes too many cooks so i kept my nose out of it and stood back

Yep, too many cooks in that kitchen... so I watched with a beer.

It was nice to see you so happy after the test drive! driving.gif
Patient914Guy
Bob,

It was great to meet you and I'm very glad you got it sorted out in time to drive home.

As a 1st timer at any 914 event I was blown away by the "cooks" and "cooks assistants" and "busboys", etc. Literally anyone would help if needed and that confirmed my opinion that 914 owners are a special breed. It has definitely inspired me to get mine off the jackstands. sawzall-smiley.gif

Remember, there's always a silver lining, you did get an award! smilie_pokal.gif
Porschef
Hey Bob! Glad things worked out but you had to know that bunch would set you right beerchug.gif

Now do what Dr. Phil said... biggrin.gif
76-914
There is no better place to break down than a club gathering. Usually they're a 15-25 people with tons of 914 experience. Glad you drove it home. beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
If you don’t post a photo, it didn’t happen. Where’s the picture of the crew hovered over the engine
mate914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 27 2023, 12:09 PM) *

If you don’t post a photo, it didn’t happen. Where’s the picture of the crew hovered over the engine

I second that picture. Bob, I am glad it worked out.
Matt
poorsche914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 27 2023, 12:09 PM) *

Someone there had some great pics... looked like surgeons working on a patient.
Maybe they will post.

driving.gif
OrangeBones
I’m glad Bob didn’t have to drive mine all the way home!
MDTerp
Bob’s car ran great the whole 550+ miles home. Awesome to see so many help support.
Click to view attachment
Porschef
QUOTE(OrangeBones @ Sep 27 2023, 09:18 PM) *

I’m glad Bob didn’t have to drive mine all the way home!

Bob, you gotta slot those engine cover brackets. So much more access! beerchug.gif

914four
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.