Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Happy 50th Birthday to my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
My chassis number is 3939513 which, according to this, I believe would equate to Wednesday, September 26, 1973.

That makes today its 50th Birthday!

It's an early 1974 MY 2.0 with silver button gauges and a mahogany interior -- a rare combination with the L13M (Chrome Yellow) paint. It's been cheaply resprayed by a previous owner and came to me with original interior, a single progressive carburetor, and Monza exhaust.

I've since had the engine rebuilt to 2056cc with twin EMPI 40 IDFs and recently added one of the last stock-style mufflers made by @mb911 . It sounds fantastic and runs strong, although perfect carb tuning always seems evasive.

Happy Birthday, 4742900862!

Click to view attachment
Dion
Happy B day yellow wonder! Looks good, enjoy!
Root_Werks
That's a cool color combo!

Pretty neat most 914's are turning 50+, couple more years and none will be in the 40's crowd.
scott_in_nh
Happy Birthday! My 74 was assembled 9/17/73 and I almost posted a happy birthday for it!
I also have the silver button gauges, but the tach had been changed out and I have since replaced it.
Question for you - how are your turn signal indicators wired (are they directional or flash together)? Also, where and how is your vapor recovery mounted?
thanks,
Scott
DRPHIL914
happy birthday! my cars was 09/15, but 75 so 2 more years for the 50th,
thats amazing and beautiful car, here's to another 50! beerchug.gif beer.gif
flipb
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Sep 26 2023, 01:00 PM) *

Happy Birthday! My 74 was assembled 9/17/73 and I almost posted a happy birthday for it!
I also have the silver button gauges, but the tach had been changed out and I have since replaced it.
Question for you - how are your turn signal indicators wired (are they directional or flash together)? Also, where and how is your vapor recovery mounted?
thanks,
Scott

I recall when I pulled apart the gauge cluster, there are two separate bulbs in the tach for Left & Right indicators, but they flash together.

The charcoal canister is up front atop the fuel tank. I refilled it with aquarium charcoal a number of years ago (the old stuff was soaked with old gas) and I've had some issues with it breathing properly... for a while I was getting negative air pressure in the fuel tank to the point that the strain burned out a fuel pump. I "solved" it by making my gas cap slightly-less-than-airtight. The vapor recirc hose is zip-tied to the left side carb.

Also, I still had the seat belt / ignition interlock functional when the car came to me. I rewired to bypass it when I installed new seat belts.
friethmiller
Happy Birthday to your little yellow car! This reminds me, I've got two "birthdays" coming up next year. Got a 2/74 and a 6/74.
SO.O.C914er
A belated birthday for mine! 6/1973 and I purchased it on 3/1980 Click to view attachment
Front yard mechanic
Mines younger but it’s a heavy smoker so yours looks better and has less wrinkles
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.