Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mk1 VW forums?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Are there good forums for the Mk1 VW crowd?

I know about the Rabbit Hole group on FB, but.... ICK. I prefer a searchable forum.

VW Vortex has some Mk1 content but is mostly a modern car resource.

This thing is pretty basic, but I'm going to need help with the CIS and there are some wiring issues to resolve and the shifter is horrible.

IPB Image

It will be a project for Theo and I to work on so he learns the basics of auto mechanics and upkeep, and will also be the car he learns stick on. It won't be "his" due to a lack of airbags. I'll get him something a bit more modern and safe.

Zach
Freezin 914
Hey Zach, sorry no forum for you, but maybe a bit of inspiration. beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Sep 27 2023, 07:42 AM) *

That's really cool.

I'm thinking about "shop truck" for mine as well.

I want to try and keep it somewhat stock while its a teaching mule, but I also have the devil in my ear whispering about ABA swaps, TDI swaps... So many options with these things.

Right now I'd be happy with running well so I can drive it around and decide if I can live with the slammed suspension.

Zach
Dr Evil
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 27 2023, 12:32 PM) *

That's really cool.

I want to try and keep it somewhat stock while its a teaching mule, but I also have the devil in my ear whispering about ABA swaps, TDI swaps... So many options with these things.

Right now I'd be happy with running well so I can drive it around and decide if I can live with the slammed suspension.

Zach

For that, Paul Behofist @EIMC in Harrisburg is the man. He is racing a gen 1 currently.
cholland_
I've got two Scriroccos and unfortunately all the conversations have moved to Facebook. Vortex is dead.

There are some international-biased forums that are still pretty active as well, mostly UK and South Africa - ClubGTI, UK's Scirocco Registry, VWClub ZA.

Here's some good shifter tech notes:
http://cabby-info.com/Files/ShifterLinkageGuide_5speed.pdf
https://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/Shi...l.shtml#Tune-up

Cabby-Info is great for all kinds of tech notes.

You won't get much good info out of the mk1 VW crowd for CIS stuff, nobody understands it (even I have one Scirocco running carbs, and the other running Megasquirt), and parts are increasingly rare and expensive. I know it's a FB Group, but Bosch CIS Wizards is the best place to get advice for fuel stuff.
930cabman
IIRC the shifting mechanics are pretty basic, but get worn out like everything else. I remember a nylon "ball" ....

BTW: nice example
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 27 2023, 12:44 PM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 27 2023, 12:32 PM) *

That's really cool.

Zach

For that, Paul Behofist @EIMC in Harrisburg is the man. He is racing a gen 1 currently.

He is the shortlist for who to call for me. First time I met him he was rebuilding a Mk1 engine.

Zach
jaredmcginness
Nice truck! I've had two - both diesels, though - so I'm no help on CIS.

85-87 Mk2s also used CIS, so you could broaden your search.

Back "in the day" Vortex had a good Mk1 crowd. (Vortex died with photobucket.)
There's likely still a wealth of info found on there if you need to google a specific thing.

Shifter kit is pretty simple. Just bushings, a ball and two rods that commonly break.

Partsplaceinc and German Auto Parts were my go-to spots.
Jared

Edit: Here is the last '82 I had. Wish I still did.

IPB Image
mbseto
Well I've been searching for the same thing. Recently came into an '86 cabrio with a laundry list of needs. I can at least commiserate.
porschetub
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 27 2023, 11:25 PM) *

Are there good forums for the Mk1 VW crowd?

I know about the Rabbit Hole group on FB, but.... ICK. I prefer a searchable forum.

VW Vortex has some Mk1 content but is mostly a modern car resource.

This thing is pretty basic, but I'm going to need help with the CIS and there are some wiring issues to resolve and the shifter is horrible.

IPB Image

It will be a project for Theo and I to work on so he learns the basics of auto mechanics and upkeep, and will also be the car he learns stick on. It won't be "his" due to a lack of airbags. I'll get him something a bit more modern and safe.

Zach

You can't go past ClubGTI but not Mk1 specific but usually content on there ,CIS is frequently discussed on there but don't expect much content past Mk5 as that's about the cut off point .
Nice bunch of guys on there unlike Vortex which I don't visit anymore for the nasty types and lots of incorrect information .
I've had many mk2 Golfs in the past and currently doing a resto on an 89 Corrado which has an ABF 2.0 16v running CIS from my old 1.8 16v so ClubGTI has been a great help,cheers.
Optimusglen
Back in the day I was heavily involved with the VWVortex Mk1 forums. To be honest I'm surprised it's not the main/only resource out there for Mk1 VW forums.

But, that said, forums as a whole have been steadily declining for years.
burton73
Back in 1981 I had a light blue with blue interior I bought brand new. My buddy Galen Bieker had a turbo charged Rabbit that was unreal, but I loved my pick up. It was my work play car.

81 was the year that they changed the interior. Very nice plastic!

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
anderssj
More inspiration:

Click to view attachment

Recent Nord Stern region show at St Paul Porsche. Younger guy did all the work himself, including body and paint. Cayenne 6 mated to VR-6 5-speed if I remember.

Very friendly, I’ll see if I have his contact info.
anderssj
Click to view attachment
anderssj
Click to view attachment
steuspeed
There is a Bosch CIS Wizards group on facebook. I have been on VWVortex MK1 Scirocco forums for years. Only go there when I need something these days.
r_towle
Jealous….have fun teaching your son!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.