Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Bulb kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NARP74
I did a quick search, but no luck. Does anyone sell or have a list for the external LED bulbs to buy? Excluding headlights and fogs.
I did see one member that was selling these several years ago, looks like the site is NLA.
Did not want to go the full Spoke kit yet. I will buy the relay from them though.
Cairo94507
@NARP74 . Even if you do not buy anything else from Spoke, I would highly recommend his LED brake light kit. It would take you less than 5 minutes to install and is far and away better than any LED FLAP bulb you could ever find.

The prospect of getting rear-ended by some twit on their phone is just a constant worry for 914 owners as our cars are lower than the average bear. beerchug.gif
NARP74
@Cairo94507 I don't see the 3rd brake light kit listed under 914 at Spoke. Is it somewhere else on the site?
drem914
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 27 2023, 08:14 AM) *

@Cairo94507 I don't see the 3rd brake light kit listed under 914 at Spoke. Is it somewhere else on the site?

I think he meant replace the brake lights with the spoke led panels that replace the brake lt. bulb, not an added 3rd brake lt.
Cairo94507
Yes, I meant the actual brake lights on the car. A 3rd hi-mount brake light would be ideal too. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
NARP74
Got it. Still don't like the dot look though...
Cairo94507
It is a compromise for the increased safety the LED's provide. But, I get it. beerchug.gif
NARP74
I used to work on dot matrix printers in a previous life. Reminds me of old tech for some reason. Not a judgement, it's just me.
Spoke
Understood about the LED 'dot' look. Without getting into optics is it difficult to have a smooth LED look for classic cars.

When I designed the RS-look rear LEDs I jammed as many LEDs onto the board as possible and they give a smoother look albeit a round pattern.

About the 3rd brake, everyone should install a 3rd brake but I haven't come up with a kit because it requires gluing or screwing a fixture to the roll hoop and perhaps cutting the chrome strip to provide access for the wires. I am thinking of doing a kit though.
StarBear
Definitely get the brake light kit; I got the rectangular one.
There was a long thread on third brake light retrofits maybe 2 years ago.
An led bulb list was posted about then, too.
930cabman
Are these available for the gauge lights?
NARP74
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 27 2023, 12:02 PM) *

Are these available for the gauge lights?

Yes, I did see those somewhere. Englebert from carmagic used to have them, in 2016. I don't think he is selling them anymore. Still looking for more info.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes we have them
Chris914n6
I'm cheap. I bought brake and turn LEDs from Amazon. Didn't need to change the flasher relay.
Brighter than stock but mainly it reacts faster, which is the real benefit.

Just did full LED swap on the Partzfinder (Blazer) except for the gauge bulbs that need to dim. Still north of $100 not including headlights, but worth it for safety and not draining the battery.
Mikey914
Alll things LED we do
https://914rubber.com/search/?q=led

And pics from a customer that just did his. The dash lights benefit immensely, as the grounds suck and the LEDs operate on only a fraction of the voltage. They do have a limited range of dimming, but can be adjusted normally up and down with the switch.
930cabman
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 27 2023, 05:38 PM) *

Alll things LED we do
https://914rubber.com/search/?q=led

And pics from a customer that just did his. The dash lights benefit immensely, as the grounds suck and the LEDs operate on only a fraction of the voltage. They do have a limited range of dimming, but can be adjusted normally up and down with the switch.

Once again, the crew at 914 Rubber come through piratenanner.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 27 2023, 03:45 PM) *

I'm cheap. I bought brake and turn LEDs from Amazon. Didn't need to change the flasher relay.

@Chris914n6

Was this on your 914? Does your 914 have an OEM flasher or LED-compatible flasher? Unless an LED has built-in ballast or ballast resistor is added, normally the OEM flasher either for the single L/R indicator in the later 914's or the separate L and R of the early 914's, the OEM flasher will not function correctly.
76-914
I needed to change my flasher after going to LED's.
barefoot
For gauge lighting, there are 4 different bulb holders OEM. 2 are body ground & other 2 are remote wire ground
I've converted to LEDs for all but the flasher bulb.
Here's some examples, got them off Amazon or somewhere.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
NARP74
Can start here for the bulb info;
https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Elect_LampIndex.jpg
Thank you @JeffBowlsby

superbrightleds.com looks to have options for 1156 and 1157. Have never shopped there before. I am sure other online options exist and FLAPS.
rjames
About the 3rd brake, everyone should install a 3rd brake but I haven't come up with a kit because it requires gluing or screwing a fixture to the roll hoop and perhaps cutting the chrome strip to provide access for the wires. I am thinking of doing a kit though.

Wires can be run under the chrome strip. I used 3M dual lock velcro tape to hold the 3rd brake light underneath the bar. One square inch of that stuff can hold over 2 lbs. of weight. It's not going anywhere, and can be removed from the car easily enough if need be.
NARP74
Not pushing any vendor over another, shop where you want. This was a test for information only. It seems to be accurate.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle?fin...;sid=BfJyBOVZXY

87m491
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 27 2023, 07:34 AM) *

The other good thing is you don't have to look at it!
NARP74
QUOTE(87m491 @ Sep 28 2023, 09:58 AM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 27 2023, 07:34 AM) *

The other good thing is you don't have to look at it!

I can't UNsee it. It's my problem...
Nogoodwithusernames
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 28 2023, 04:59 AM) *

@Chris914n6

Was this on your 914? Does your 914 have an OEM flasher or LED-compatible flasher? Unless an LED has built-in ballast or ballast resistor is added, normally the OEM flasher either for the single L/R indicator in the later 914's or the separate L and R of the early 914's, the OEM flasher will not function correctly.

Do you need to change a relay to use LED headlights?

I got some from 914Rubber a while back and brights act funny, like on will turn to bright and the other will dim. Relay issue or something else? The old bulbs worked fine.

In my Squareback I used some LED bulbs from Duncan on TheSamba and they will both go bright but then the don't switch back to regular until the car turns off.
StarBear
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 28 2023, 11:57 AM) *

Not pushing any vendor over another, shop where you want. This was a test for information only. It seems to be accurate.

Yep, that’s the place. A wide selection. I couldn’t recall before.
Chris914n6

@Chris914n6

Yes 914. OEM but I couldn't tell you what parts car it came off. Definitely not new or LED spec'd.
Bulbs don't seem to have built in resistors Amazon Auxlight bulbs
Chassis is 75, cluster is 94 Nissan, reg indicator bulbs, but shouldn't matter.
I didn't think the 914 had the bulb out "circuit" that newer cars have. The Blazer has the flasher relay timing based on bulb resistance so that had to be swapped with a dumb (led) relay or it would 'hyper' flash because it thought a bulb burned out.
'Acting funny' is an old relay that's sticking. If it is bulb resistance it would flash twice as fast.
HTH
Chris914n6
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 28 2023, 08:57 AM) *

Overpriced and not the latest stuff, but it is one stop shopping.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Sep 28 2023, 09:47 AM) *

@Chris914n6

Do you need to change a relay to use LED headlights?

I got some from 914Rubber a while back and brights act funny, like on will turn to bright and the other will dim. Relay issue or something else? The old bulbs worked fine.

In my Squareback I used some LED bulbs from Duncan on TheSamba and they will both go bright but then the don't switch back to regular until the car turns off.

Not necessary to change flasher relay for Headlights. There is an issue with some fog lights that I have detailed on the site in the tribal wiki.

BTW we do have the other LEDs that have the 2 leads, just not listed. This is why we started adding pics. It's an inexpensive Guage upgrade. You may be able to buy other places, buy our shipping is less.
Spoke
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 28 2023, 08:05 PM) *

I didn't think the 914 had the bulb out "circuit" that newer cars have.

@Chris914n6

I believe all vehicles from at least the 1960s on had some type of bulb out warning. Some used the hyperflash (2x normal rate) whereas the 914 used the tach turnsignal indicators. The 914 used the flasher relay to also indicate if the brake master cylinder tripped or the ebrake was pulled. So 914 flasher relays flash normally even with very light loads like the brake warning light and LED turnsignals.

To alert the driver of a burned bulb, the 914 early cars with separate L and R tach indicators would flash both at the same time. The later cars with the single L/R indicator would not flash at all.

Later cars with the single L/R indicator and OEM flasher relay and LEDs the indicator would never flash. The early cars with separate L and R indicator would be really weird as the selected side would flash normally but the other side would also flash gently as the 2 indicators would power the other side turnsignals. This is true also in the 911 up to 1984.
NARP74
Since you can get colors more easily with LED, does red work better under red lenses, same with amber? Or clear all the way?
Spoke
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Oct 3 2023, 02:14 PM) *

Since you can get colors more easily with LED, does red work better under a red lens, same with amber? Or clear all the way?

Red LEDs work well with red lenses and are even more efficient behind amber lenses. Amber LEDs only work well with amber lenses. Clear lenses work with any LED color.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 28 2023, 11:01 AM) *

Can start here for the bulb info;
https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Elect_LampIndex.jpg
Thank you @JeffBowlsby

superbrightleds.com looks to have options for 1156 and 1157. Have never shopped there before. I am sure other online options exist and FLAPS.

I got my 1156 and 1157 from superbrightled.com, i have my side markers from Jerry, and i have my fogs done by Jerry, the Headlights i had H4 LED from AMAZON-AUTOXLT or something like that, but i now have the full 7" Jeep ones with Halos that are wired to the fogs and flashers ,
rears are all LED bulbs from superbright, for now, eventually i will convert over, but the brightness of LED vs conventional is soo much better!.
my dash is back lit , they were done by TimothyND , i won the whole gauge set in the drawing 5-6 years ago at Okteenerfest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.