Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stoneman30hotmail
In NC we have DC automotive that has used alternators.
I was tempted to get one to test and install if good and rebuild the current one as spare. Has anyone had luck getting a chain to bench test?
Also what alternator is it? I.e., what would I search for matching rectifier and brush parts?
I checked some threads and didn't find any successful tests or repair attempts.
Mikey914
WE are currently working to bring a rebuild service to our offering. I've been able to make and or source the parts needed. The testing equipment is a little spendy, but that's our next step.
brant
I couldn’t find a shop that would test anymore
They just want to sell a replacement

The two shops I use to used both got old and closed up
It’s a dying skill for certain

I ended up using a rebuild shop in berkley that is still open
Paid shipping both ways but well done
So I sent 3

I could let one go but the price I paid could buy a new one
However mine are original Bosch units rebuilt correctly
mepstein
At the shop, I always got them rebuilt or buy new because it cost less than putting one in, just to pull it out a month or two down the road. I do like rebuilding the one I take out of the car because I know fit is correct.
Mikey914
We had a good shop, and unfortunately they went out of business. I have another place across town, but thought that $300 was a bit much. But looking at what is available. We can either make these, or rebuild them. Unfortunately most of the places that can help us make these are offshore. Knowing that materials are everything, and copper is expensive, I did the math and figured it could be problematic.
So, the next logical path was to look at rebuilding them.
I bought a bunch of cores from @914LTD and started to identify what we need to make and what we need to buy. So look for more shortly.
-Mark
mepstein
We had a local auto battery shop that rebuilt alternators and starters. $75-125, depending on the parts needed. Went out of business but it was good why it lasted.
bdstone914
@stoneman30hotmail

date='Sep 27 2023, 12:40 PM' post='3104317']
I was tempted to get one to test and install if good and rebuild the current one as spare. Has anyone had luck getting a chain to bench test?
Also what alternator is it? I.e., what would I search for matching rectifier and brush parts?
[/quote]

I have a local shop that rebuild them. I dropped one offthis week to to have ready to go. He ises a Brazillian solenoid as the Bosch ones are not great.
$175 shipped with core.

Red76
QUOTE(stoneman30hotmail @ Sep 27 2023, 02:40 PM) *

ASP wholesale has the brushes, diodes etc. if you’re interested in rebuilding it yourself. The bearings have a number on them and can be matched up with new bearings at the local auto parts store.
I did mine for less than $40.
If you take itto a chain for testing they will likely not know how to test it. Even though we call these alternators they need to be tested like a generator because they have no internal voltage regulator.
bkrantz
Happy with Tucson Alternator Exchange, a mix of old school and new.

https://www.tucsonalternator.com/services
technicalninja
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=195244

And one in the classifieds NOW as well (free referral @euro911 who is a stellar guy!)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=367903

And those, Gentlemen, I believe are GM alternators.
I'm going to figure out which GM alternator and copy that.
I wish @pnewman would let us know what he used IF he is really not going to build anymore...
If he's still in production he should keep his secrets to himself.

Just seeing it I know I can figure it out...
I will keep my findings to myself if pnewman's still building. I'm not planning on getting into the 914 supplier world...

You can have custom GM alternators built to far greater amperage than 160 nowdays.

The HUGE BASS radio crowd demands it!

IMO 160 is all you should ever need in a 914 (unless maybe you're running electric AC...)

Now, for stock stuff an old school alternator shop is the ticket. I have a pretty good one 20 miles away in Cleburne with an AWESOME road to get there...

If I'm adding power suckers to the car I'd want to make the jump to GM...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.