Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Unidentified part
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sarivers2001
Does someone out there recognize this part?

I was under the impression when I purchased my 1974 914 2.0 (and the related spare parts that came with it) that this was a rear anti-sway bar, but it does not match the photos I am finding online.

Perhaps some after-market anti-sway bar?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks,
Steven
930cabman
Front strut stiffener?
BillJ
Looks to me to be part of a rear strut crossbar theybused to sell. It goes between in an x and was adjustable.
sarivers2001
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 28 2023, 01:06 PM) *

Front strut stiffener?

Seems too long for that, no? It’s length is roughly the width of the car. About 4 four long.
sarivers2001
QUOTE(BillJ @ Sep 28 2023, 01:18 PM) *

Looks to me to be part of a rear strut crossbar theybused to sell. It goes between in an x and was adjustable.

Interesting. I’ll look for evidence of mountings underneath with that in mind.

Thanks,
Steven
BillJ
Hanging rack between the coat hook hangers inside the cabin then?
BillJ
QUOTE(sarivers2001 @ Sep 28 2023, 04:21 PM) *

Thanks,
Steven

You wont find any as that was not bolted in at all. I know because my car had one at one point. Its pretty useless mostly.
sarivers2001

Ahhh, now I see. Inside the trunk. If so, clearly missing some important connecting hardware.
sarivers2001
QUOTE(BillJ @ Sep 28 2023, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(sarivers2001 @ Sep 28 2023, 04:21 PM) *

Thanks,
Steven

You wont find any as that was not bolted in at all. I know because my car had one at one point. Its pretty useless mostly.

I like the coat hanger idea. biggrin.gif

After having held up the piece to that spot, it’s definitely too long for something like that, front or rear for that matter. It’s a head-scratcher.
Craigers17
I think it’s a seat belt harness bar that attaches at the sides and holds the harness part of aftermarket racing type double shoulder seat belts.
BillJ
That probably makes the most sense. Never liked those...
Spoke
Looks like a door stiffener for when doing longitudinal repairs.
NARP74
Any other signs of a multipoint harness install?
MLedesma
100% sure it is a seat belt harness for an aftermarket racing harness. Bolts in using the seatbelt anchors on the B pillars. I had one just like it.

BillJ
Are there holes in the firewall? That would have been the bolt throughs for the belts.
rjames
QUOTE(BillJ @ Sep 28 2023, 03:11 PM) *

Are there holes in the firewall? That would have been the bolt throughs for the belts.

It's most definitely a harness bar and my understanding is that the harness bar allows you to avoid drilling holes in the firewall, so unlikely any holes will be there. The belts loop around the bar.
Click to view attachment
rjames
Found this ...
Click to view attachment
sarivers2001
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 28 2023, 03:50 PM) *

I think we have winner. Looks identical.
Was that part you found an element of a racing harness / seat belt?
I know a PO of my car did track the car quite a bit at one point in time, and had racing seat belts. Not finding evidence of any alterations in the cockpit where I’d expect them to be, though.
sarivers2001
QUOTE(sarivers2001 @ Sep 28 2023, 04:09 PM) *

I know a PO of my car did track the car quite a bit at one point in time, and had racing seat belts. Not finding evidence of any alterations in the cockpit where I’d expect them to be, though.

Looks like the community has spoken and figured it out! Appreciate the feedback, all!
If anyone wants this harness bar or knows someone who might want it (esp. in the SF Bay Area, where I am), I’m willing to hand it off free to a good home.

Thanks again,
Steven
rjames
QUOTE(sarivers2001 @ Sep 28 2023, 04:09 PM) *

Found this ...

It's just a harness bar. Allows one to use a racing harness without modifying the car permanently.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.